• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What pokemon do people commonly use in competitive battle?

InSANEity

A sky full of lighters <3
Years
A few I know are: Tyranitar, Milotic, Chansey/Blissey, Scizor, and some others.

Go to Smogon. com and click on Pokemon Tiers, look in the OU (over used) section for a wider list. :)

47bennyg

Burt the Billowy Bear
Years
Ferrothorn, TTar, Gliscor, Politoed, Excadrill, Starmie, Thundurus, just to name a few.

If you want to get real in depth check out Smogon's usage statistics on their PO server, which will show you how much each pokemon is used in each tier.

EDIT: sorry you both beat me to it lol.

Years
I think you've got it the other way around. Pokemon are always used because they're good, so the tier containing the top competitive Pokemon is called "The Overused tier". The element of surprise isn't worth much in the metagame, most people prefer to use proven movesets and Pokemon that have already established themselves as powerful threats, gimmicks are rarely seen, although they can be effective. I really reccomend you stick to using standard Pokemon. Anyhow, here are Smogon's Usage statistics, they start from the most used Pokemon [Ferrothorn] to the lesser used ones. [Usage Stats]

47bennyg

Burt the Billowy Bear
Years
As Karpman said, most of the commonly used pokemon are common for a reason. But there is a tier for pokemon that aren't commonly used: The RU tier on Smogon is made of of pokemon who aren't used commmonly on other tiers and their usage determines if they can be used on the RU tier. So if you want to play with uncommonly used pokemon this might be the place for you.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I think you've got it the other way around. Pokemon are always used because they're good, so the tier containing the top competitive Pokemon is called "The Overused tier". The element of surprise isn't worth much in the metagame, most people prefer to use proven movesets and Pokemon that have already established themselves as powerful threats, gimmicks are rarely seen, although they can be effective. I really reccomend you stick to using standard Pokemon. Anyhow, here are Smogon's Usage statistics, they start from the most used Pokemon [Ferrothorn] to the lesser used ones. [Usage Stats]
the element of surprise is very useful in the metagame; i don't see how it can't be. but constantly battling the same person does lose the surprise factor since they will know what you are using, so it's best for tournaments. either way, it's still possible to use uncommon pokémon effectively, as long as you know how to support it and use it properly. and besides, the user may find battling more fun that way.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
battling has a lot of strategy involved. if you want to use a pokemon in a different tier then OU then you want to make sure that it has an effective move set, nature, EV's ect. additionally you want to make sure that you have other pokemon on your team that can support it and vice versa. good synergy on a team is also important. but if you want to learn more about tiers and usage then you can check out the links in the posts above.

hope this helps you a little =)

Back