• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It only cost that much to make this game?!

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
What are your favorite Indie games?

Rogue Legacy was a stellar game in my opinion. It was only like $15 and I remember putting hours upon hours into the game, even going through it a second time just for kicks (which I very rarely do with video games. It's a game where you have to traverse through a randomized castle with different attributed knights and try to survive long enough to beat the game. Here's a trailer for it:
Spoiler:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is also an amazing game, super addicting (and also pretty cheap as well). You essentially need to get through 30 levels of a broken down laboratory to gain a cure for an infection that's become an epidemic, in the process creating and scavengering your own supplies, weapons, and armor. Here's a trailer for it as well.
Spoiler:

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
Touhou games, I suppose. At least, a majority of Touhou-related games are made by one man himself - ZUN.

If I had to choose which ones, Mountain of Faith (only because of that one spell card), Ten Desires, and Double Dealing Character.

TY

Terraria by far. Love the concept of a platformer/RPG/building mix and even though it looks hideous and weird, it has a lot of cool elements and a lot of stuff to craft. This game stole my soul for a long time and i have 300+ hours spent on it.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Terraria by far. Love the concept of a platformer/RPG/building mix and even though it looks hideous and weird, it has a lot of cool elements and a lot of stuff to craft. This game stole my soul for a long time and i have 300+ hours spent on it.

Considering Terraria and Minecraft are so similar, do you think one implements game mechanics/design better than the other? I'm curious about this considering they are essentially the same type of game, except one is 2D and one is 3D.

TY

Considering Terraria and Minecraft are so similar, do you think one implements game mechanics/design better than the other? I'm curious about this considering they are essentially the same type of game, except one is 2D and one is 3D.

To be quite fair those two games aren't similar at all :p

Terraria focuses more on the action and monster slaying, whereas Minecraft is more about building stuff and set your creation free. They are compared a lot cause you can craft and build stuff in both games, but they are completely different.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
To be quite fair those two games aren't similar at all :p

Terraria focuses more on the action and monster slaying, whereas Minecraft is more about building stuff and set your creation free. They are compared a lot cause you can craft and build stuff in both games, but they are completely different.

True. I guess if you looked at as an "umbrella" game, a lot of the concepts of the two games fall under it, although some parts are more resounding like others (like with what you said about combat). I guess it's more how you play the game than anything, as you can still fight say the Wither, Ender Dragon, and a bunch of other modded monsters in the game and count that as the equivalent of combat from Terraria (although nothing will be the equivalent of the Wall of Flesh, that thing was scary ;_;)

TY

True. I guess if you looked at as an "umbrella" game, a lot of the concepts of the two games fall under it, although some parts are more resounding like others (like with what you said about combat). I guess it's more how you play the game than anything, as you can still fight say the Wither, Ender Dragon, and a bunch of other modded monsters in the game and count that as the equivalent of combat from Terraria (although nothing will be the equivalent of the Wall of Flesh, that thing was scary ;_;)

Well mods can change the game completely haha :p

I must say both games are good at what they do, though Terraria does the other thing (the building) a bit better than Minecraft does with the combat (vanilla-wise). I like both games, played them for quite some time. Terraria has the scariest bosses i have ever seen. Wall of Flesh was just... nightmares and so was the Eye of Cthulu (or however you spell it). That eye was insanely big.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Well mods can change the game completely haha :p

I must say both games are good at what they do, though Terraria does the other thing (the building) a bit better than Minecraft does with the combat (vanilla-wise). I like both games, played them for quite some time. Terraria has the scariest bosses i have ever seen. Wall of Flesh was just... nightmares and so was the Eye of Cthulu (or however you spell it). That eye was insanely big.
Especially when it transformed into its second phase, that thing was an abomination xD But yeah, overall I think Terraria as a whole is better than Minecraft. Although I don't think Terraria is better with building than Minecraft (I like the whole 3D element to it than 2D), the fighting in Terraria is hands down better than Minecraft's slap fights with monsters.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Well, other than the obvious ones (Minecraft and Terraria) Papers, Please and Gone Home are actually quite good. There's another off beat game I liked, called Cart Life, it was very different from the other games I've played.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Minecraft is my all time favorite indie game. I love having an endless world to explore, build, and fight in, that can be played for as long as one wishes. You can actually beat the game if you aren't familiar, but of course after you do you are able to keep playing forever and ever... I also am a fan of indie survival horror games such as DayZ and 7 Days to Die, as well as action horror games like Outlast, Slender: The Arrival, and Cry of Fear. Another really fun one is Garry's Mod which can be anything you want it to be. It actually has its own game modes and maps to go with it for games like Prop Hunt and Hide & Seek which are a lot of fun and a unique style of gameplay. The game Audiosurf is pretty cool too and is always a unique experience depending on what song you pick.

Reactions: Goo

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
Years
I haven't spent enough time exploring the indie scene lately, sadly.

More recently I had a friend got me to play Minecraft after years of evading and trash talking. On his private server I enjoyed it way more then I ever expected I would. I solely enjoyed the building of forts and houses, not really into anything else that it provided. It lost its luster after a couple of weeks as they pretty much moved onto DayZ. I don't care for DayZ one bit.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
One of the best indie games I've ever played is FTL. Its a spaceship simulator of sorts and it's given me so many hours of enjoyment plus the music is incredible. I bought the game for the music and I couldn't believe how fun it was to play too.

I also absolutely love DayZ. There's just something about it. I've got so many stories and many lives in that game. Even just tonight I was regearing from a series of firefights in Elektro that ended with my trigger happy friend shooting me point blank in the head and as I did I heard my friends messing about. One of them lied about where he was from and put on an extravagant fake accent and said he didn't speak english well (It already wasn't his first language) after an hour of playing with them where they geared him up another of my friends crept up on them and shot one, injuring them. He then inconspicuously dropped my other friend a loaded clip for his FNX and my friend hid with them while they took cover in a house. The one with the gun bandaged another of their friends while my friend went in and shot them all. 15 bullets in the clip, 4 dead. They never saw it comeing. This is our favorite way to gear.

Back