• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jαcκςση's Sprites~

How are they?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
Well, I'm relatively new to spriting, but I really want to get better. I've only made a few, but I think it's enough to get some decent critique.

243rts9.jpg

Virus Pokemon (yes, I know the pose is aweful, it's looking right at you)

mlpbac.jpg
or
b8v5vp.jpg

Cockroach Pokemon

2vcicjn.jpg
and my progress on it >>
roach_ani_fin.gif
(thanks to gparts again!)

Evo
(Thanks to gp_arts for all the awesome help on this one!)

Splices:

xaw9jm.jpg

Original Trainer

nbox90.jpg

Overworld of above.
2n9ffux.jpg

Pitiful attempt at a tree tile, but hey, it's my first ever try at something like this. It's not in the right style, blah blah blah, ya, I know.

2086uix.jpg

Simple grass to snow tile recolor. (credit to Kyledove for original)

Yeti (F):
33vf8yb.jpg

(M):
k53lah.jpg

Partly Scratched, partly Algamated Trainer Sprite:
4sjp1s.jpg

little alien dood I guess?
33w600l.jpg
|
qq75he.jpg

grass starter for zirconium, Eukhay:
98c86f.jpg

Don't be afraid to be harsh, I just want to get better.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
They're really nice concepts, like you've already said, the main issue with the virus is the pose, other than that it's not bad.

The Cockroach is pretty good, but the lower jaw is a bit fat and lopsided.

Keep up the good work though.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
The virus has a nice design (it's a bacteriophage yes?), and the mechanics of it are good-- so what if it's not Pokemon-style? Plus, I assure you if you keep practicing, you'll remake it one day.

In fact, you've got a lot of potential. The only sprite you've got that's average or below is the trainer, who's just a frankenstein of the Rich boy (I think) and Palmer, with poorly-recolored hair and a not very intuitive design. But trainers are tough. xD; Keep spriting!

Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
The virus has a nice design (it's a bacteriophage yes?), and the mechanics of it are good-- so what if it's not Pokemon-style? Plus, I assure you if you keep practicing, you'll remake it one day.

In fact, you've got a lot of potential. The only sprite you've got that's average or below is the trainer, who's just a frankenstein of the Rich boy (I think) and Palmer, with poorly-recolored hair and a not very intuitive design. But trainers are tough. xD; Keep spriting!

Alright, thanks! Ya, its a bacteriophage. Ya, the trainer is palmer and Lucian, with a bit of editing from other trainers. Do you have a suggestion for the hair color? Like a trainer with brown hair that would be better?

And also, I edited the cockroach a bit.
15343cx.jpg

solaries10

Palmer
Years
So, you too are an advocate of Spriting huh? That's interesting. I'm quite impressed with the fact that you'd rather make scratches, in lieu of fusions. That's a very interesting start. ;) Just like you, I'm working on a spriting project in dire need of members, so I'm assuming that I could fetch a deal or two with you. Let's talk about that later though.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
The trainer does not appear to be original, more or less, it's just a fusion of a bunch of other trainers... you seemed to have lost some of the shading in the jacket and the pants though...

as for the virus fusion, that one can be easily fixed by turning the pose of the head a bit to the left. I actually like the virus... it's original, and something i've never seen before. The only other thing, besides the head, is the middle leg on the right side: It's longer than the others. It might appear better if it was shortened.

And the roach. I love the legs, and the style in which you made them. The padded knees look awesome. The color scheme is also nice here...
...but! you could probably make the jaw even gauter. Make it a bit less wide, and tall... bring it up towards the head a bit more, and bring the ends in more.
The wings also need a bit of help. They have a weird shading to them, where the light source is indefinite and discrete. Besides that, the angles of the wings seem funny. (His) right wing appears to be oppened, while the left one is more pushed against the body. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but a simple way to make the wings match in pose is to extend the left wing outwards more, and thinning the top side of it. Or else, round the top edge of the right wing and bring more near the body.

Just some ideas, take them sparingly... don't get discouraged, don't give up!

Keep Spriting!

Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
So, you too are an advocate of Spriting huh? That's interesting. I'm quite impressed with the fact that you'd rather make scratches, in lieu of fusions. That's a very interesting start. ;) Just like you, I'm working on a spriting project in dire need of members, so I'm assuming that I could fetch a deal or two with you. Let's talk about that later though.

Haha, thanks. And ya sure, that might work.
The trainer does not appear to be original, more or less, it's just a fusion of a bunch of other trainers... you seemed to have lost some of the shading in the jacket and the pants though...
Ya, I didn't mean like... original as in scratched, just as in my own character.\

as for the virus fusion, that one can be easily fixed by turning the pose of the head a bit to the left. I actually like the virus... it's original, and something i've never seen before. The only other thing, besides the head, is the middle leg on the right side: It's longer than the others. It might appear better if it was shortened.
I actually thought about just trying to turn the head to see if it looked good, but wasn't sure. Now I might try it.

And the roach. I love the legs, and the style in which you made them. The padded knees look awesome. The color scheme is also nice here...
...but! you could probably make the jaw even gauter. Make it a bit less wide, and tall... bring it up towards the head a bit more, and bring the ends in more.
The wings also need a bit of help. They have a weird shading to them, where the light source is indefinite and discrete. Besides that, the angles of the wings seem funny. (His) right wing appears to be oppened, while the left one is more pushed against the body. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but a simple way to make the wings match in pose is to extend the left wing outwards more, and thinning the top side of it. Or else, round the top edge of the right wing and bring more near the body.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the jaw.. like making it smaller? Ya, the wings were kinda just.. try to get them to look somewhat decent. I had no idea what I was doing. I'll definitely attempt this. Don't know how well it will go, but I'll try.
Just some ideas, take them sparingly... don't get discouraged, don't give up!

Keep Spriting!
Thanks a ton for this super detailed critique! It's reaaaally helpful :3

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
Well, you're very welcome!

As for the jaw, pretty much yah...make it smaller. just bring the bottom more up, and tighten the ends a bit. that will make it skinnier, as well as more along the throat. i may or not work, but there's no harm in trying...

as for the wings... i know wings are a pain in the bottom... just try your best, play around with them, and eventually you'll figure em out!

And the trainer...gotcha!

Keep Spriting!

Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
25i6f5z.jpg

New update. Evo of the roach. Its a first draft, and its late. I'll revamp it later, but any critique would be awesome. One thing though, I am probably going to change its lower right wing.

mulch_ar

What should I type here?
Years
You're right, it looks cool! The pose made it much better, and the wings looks cool too. maybe you should make the antennae on the right a li'l bit more shapy (I see that the straight line's too long). Keep up the good work

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
Updated the evo. I think its much better. Its right antennae still sucks though.
2rpw7mc.jpg

Now, who are you kidding? This is great! I like this one best of all your sprites!

Granted, this does have a scizor look to it, nevertheless, it is still substancially different enough that it is quite original. I like the pose; the whole looking backwards thing is something not done very often. yet you pulled it off quite well. As for the anatomy, it all seems to make sence, even though the head is a bit small...but the small head looks great like that. I like the bladelike structure of the wings, it gives the fakemon a different dimension, and the claws give him a fighting type look.

As you said, the antenae are a bit awkward... i think maybe the farther back one is too strait along the back... definitely arch it a bit more! As for the shading, it needs a bit more in the wings and the body overall... there's not much depth being portrayed in the shading. The outlining also needs some coloration, especially along the top side of the head, and the where the light tones are.

This sprite has great anatomy and pose, as well as being pretty original. I give it a 7/10. It would have recieved an aditional point if the antenae was a bit more "natural flowing". The other two points were lost because of the lack of shading and outline toning. Fix those pointers up and you have an official pokemon company quality sprite here!

Great job, work it out, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!

Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
Now, who are you kidding? This is great! I like this one best of all your sprites!

Granted, this does have a scizor look to it, nevertheless, it is still substancially different enough that it is quite original. I like the pose; the whole looking backwards thing is something not done very often. yet you pulled it off quite well. As for the anatomy, it all seems to make sence, even though the head is a bit small...but the small head looks great like that. I like the bladelike structure of the wings, it gives the fakemon a different dimension, and the claws give him a fighting type look.

As you said, the antenae are a bit awkward... i think maybe the farther back one is too strait along the back... definitely arch it a bit more! As for the shading, it needs a bit more in the wings and the body overall... there's not much depth being portrayed in the shading. The outlining also needs some coloration, especially along the top side of the head, and the where the light tones are.

This sprite has great anatomy and pose, as well as being pretty original. I give it a 7/10. It would have recieved an aditional point if the antenae was a bit more "natural flowing". The other two points were lost because of the lack of shading and outline toning. Fix those pointers up and you have an official pokemon company quality sprite here!

Great job, work it out, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!

Haha, thanks! By outline toning, do you mean it should be lighter? And yeah, I'm having some serious issues with shading. I'll definitely try the antennae thing.

Oh, and I probably should have said this before, b/c this probably makes me half as good, but All of these sprites are done with concept art. I don't know if that's like not "legal" or "fair" or something...

Example:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/608/roaches.jpg

Sorry if this makes me like bad or something b/c they aren't completely scratch...

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
did you draw those?

well, anyhow, if you sprited these, they are still great!

All my sprites come from pictures that i drew. Milodos went through five or six different looks before arriving to what it is now. There's nothing wrong with turning your concepts, or someone elses' for that matter into sprites.

Anyways, maybe make the outline more of a brown instead of a black. that's what i meant.

Keep Spriting!

Years
  • Age 30
  • CA
  • Seen Mar 2, 2023
Oh, okay. That's good. And no, I wish I had those drawing skills. I drew my virus (that's why it's such a bad pose). I guy named ramengaiden drew the rest. He's one of the concept artists for the game I'm working on.

And I'll try the colored thing.

rc5uuo.jpg

Is that sorta what you meant? I made the outline on head and arms dark brown.. or lighter?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Wow I love your sprites, and the trainer (both overworld and sprite) is excellent! Have you made any for hacks?

Andcetera

Jigglypuff~<333
Years
They are all very good pixels +'_'+
The only problem i see is the shading, and lines.
The lineart should be lighter in some areas, rather then just one color.
As for the shading doesnt really give a pokemon type of feeling, i recomend examining some pokemon pixel art if your trying for the pokemon spirit look. T:

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Woh! Now, put that same sort of patience (and use the same advice) into that Virus thing... Your OW, looks like a bad re-shade of Palmer, trying putting some 'zest' into his design by adding in more colors.

Back