• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A world without Gender roles/restrictions

Melody

Banned
Years
Ok, we all know that as time passes on and new generations are born, the lines between genders get softened...so I pose these questions:

Just a quick note, this is a POLL not something to discuss. You can make a discussion thread in OC if you want to debate the merits of such a society.

• Would you be any different in a world without gender roles? Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender?
  • If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you? Conversely, if you're a girl, would you dress masculine-like when the mood suits you? Would your style of dress be mixed, matched or just otherwise different?
  • Do you think you'd be happier with such a freedom?
  • Would you judge others negatively if say, you were mysteriously sucked out of this world and sent to one like I'm describing, where gender roles do not exist?
  • If you could just do away with a few "Gender Rules" found in society, which ones would you get rid of and why?

Would you be any different in a world without gender roles? Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender?
Definitely. Personality wise? Probably not too much.

If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you? Conversely, if you're a girl, would you dress masculine-like when the mood suits you? Would your style of dress be mixed, matched or just otherwise different?
Oh the way I'd dress would definitely depend on my mood. Perhaps I would mix and match to find what's practical and what works for me and stick to it. I don't think I'd always be just boyishly dressed or always girlishly dressed. There would be days I'd want to be more one way than the other.

Do you think you'd be happier with such a freedom?
Most likely. When it comes down to it, I think the contents of your undergarments, and/or which undergarments you wear, need only be known to your romantic interests, your doctor, your parents and maybe any siblings whom you've grown up with.

Would you judge others negatively if say, you were mysteriously sucked out of this world and sent to one like I'm describing, where gender roles do not exist?
No. I'd probably blend right in pretty quickly.

If you could just do away with a few "Gender Rules" found in society, which ones would you get rid of and why?
Probably do something like bring back dresses/skirts of reasonable length or longer back into acceptable wear for men of all origins. Definitely kill the silly gender line that says guys don't shave their legs and such...if a guy wants to shave his legs for shorts/skirts/dresses let him. It's not like leg hair does anything for you...

Maybe even make it ok for guys to carry pouches or purses again for their own things. (Obviously I'm not saying take the flowery flashy dresses and purses and give them to the guys, I'm saying make some in designs guys like and such and kill the silly gender line there)

Do away with the gender lines concerning all kinds of makeup. Maybe most guys don't need to accentuate their eyes all the time or whatever, but I could see the right makeup on a guy looking really good, even if it is flashy and colorful.

Most of my gender line beefs come from dress...there's no reason to tell a little boy he can't have that dress he likes or tell a little girl she has to wear cute dresses and mary janes all the time. Letting a person find what they like and who they are on their own is better than telling them what to be, because telling a child something like that often gets them to do the opposite to spite you eventually.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I wouldn't be different at all if gender roles didn't exist. I think I'd be more accepting of the quirks and traits that can be considered feminine that I do, since it would be socially acceptable. But I think everyone has a few things about them that doesn't fit into gender roles. That's what makes us unique.

I've never really had any thoughts of stepping out of them in such a way as to wearing female clothes. I think everyone already dresses based on their mood. If I'm not in a good mood and don't feel like talking to people, I usually wear a hoodie - for example. Whereas, if I'm in the mood to socialize, I'll wear something a little more stylish. I'm not really interested in dressing femininely, though, but I've always been given the freedom to be whomever I would like and was supported by my family. I don't really let gender roles, or any type of stereotypes for that matter, affect me and I don't judge others for stepping outside of them. In fact, I think people who do that are very brave to do so and admire them for that because lord knows that they're going to face some awkward stares, points and whispers for doing so. Besides, I find that I'm drawn to people who think and act outside the box.

The only ones I really find hard to deal with are the tough guy acts who think it's impressive to act overly manly, the girls who act very, very girly, because they think it's appropriate and impressive to others. But the biggest one I think that should, and is, change is the whole "men work, women stay at home and take care of the house." I hardly ever judge people now, and seriously doubt that I would if I was sucked out of this world and sent into one without gender roles.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Would you be any different in a world without gender roles? Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender?
Probably not. I mean, clothing-wise, women aren't really banned from too much, and I went into a male-dominated field anyway so no one really told me I couldn't do anything.

If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you? Conversely, if you're a girl, would you dress masculine-like when the mood suits you? Would your style of dress be mixed, matched or just otherwise different?
I do that anyway. For a really long time I hated skirts so I don't have any now, only pants. Now that I care more though, I don't have any skirts or dresses or anything, lol.

N/A, already have it.

Would you judge others negatively if say, you were mysteriously sucked out of this world and sent to one like I'm describing, where gender roles do not exist?
Well assuming I'm not more worried about why I'm being sucked out of my own world, I might be thrown off a bit at first, but no reason to judge anyone for it. Although tbh, I would probably judge a guy who is dead-set on only wearing feminine clothes the same way I judge a girl that's dead-set on that, like "I'M A GIRL LOOK AT MEEEEE" kind of thing.

If you could just do away with a few "Gender Rules" found in society, which ones would you get rid of and why?
The one that always bothered me, and I know this is small, but...the toilet seat. Why are men the ones with the responsibility to deal with that? I think that's so dumb.

Years
I wouldn't feel so ashamed in this kind of world. At least I'd like to think so. I'd also like to think that I wouldn't be so closed off.

Maybe I wouldn't mind wearing more masculine clothing like I mind now. It wouldn't signify anything after all and no one would assume anything based on it.

Yes, because there'd be fewer things standing between me and the freedom to be happy.

I'm not a very judgmental person anyway so, no, I wouldn't. Besides, I'd be a guest of sorts. "When in Rome..." as they say.

All of them. I'll just stick to one so I don't go overboard. I hate machismo, chauvinism, and misogyny so I would kill off any rules about men having to be "manly." Self-confidence is a fine thing, but when you have to compare yourself to and stereotype another group of people to have that self-confidence that's just wrong.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Would you be any different in a world without gender roles?
No, I doubt I would.

Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender?
Probably not. But it might change a little... Not drastically, though.

If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you?
Uh, no.

Maybe, I wouldn't really care.

No, that's mean. People would then think I'm the crazy one.

I don't really care I guess... What ever people want to get rid of the most I'm fine with.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years

• Would you be any different in a world without gender roles? Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender?
Maybe a little bit, but not much.

• If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you? Conversely, if you're a girl, would you dress masculine-like when the mood suits you? Would your style of dress be mixed, matched or just otherwise different?
If I actually looked somewhat like a girl to begin with, maybe a little bit... but I don't, so it'd be too weird for me.

It wouldn't really affect me too much personally. I have a lot of friends who would adore that change though.

• Would you judge others negatively if say, you were mysteriously sucked out of this world and sent to one like I'm describing, where gender roles do not exist?
Of course not.

• If you could just do away with a few "Gender Rules" found in society, which ones would you get rid of and why?
Probably either the fact that men are supposed to be hairy, or that women can pretty much wear whatever they want, and men can't.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Would you be any different in a world without gender roles? Hard to imagine, but the world will be a bit more boring.
Would your personality be different if you were raised without being told you can't do something because of your gender? Difficult to answer in a different point of view, but probably.
If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you? Tempting, but I'd have to say NO to this one.
Would you judge others negatively if say, you were mysteriously sucked out of this world and sent to one like I'm describing, where gender roles do not exist? Probably not.
If you could just do away with a few "Gender Rules" found in society, which ones would you get rid of and why? I'm content with the way things are right now.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Um, tough to answer. I can't really put my finger on who'd I'd be without Gender Roles. I'm naturally more masculine anyway, so I don't think my personality would vary that much. Maybe in this theoretical world I'd give less of a crap about the differences between men and women.
  • If you're a guy, would you dress femininely when the mood suited you?
Maybe I'd be more open to wearing and buying whatever I wanted, but, I like and feel comfortable wearing masculine clothing and uncomfortable otherwise.

But in this theroretical world, there would be no such thing as fem/masc clothing differences possibly. Everyone would pick out what they like from an accumulative shop that doesn't know how to seperate- there's no difference in their eyes.
I'm content now, so.... it'd be about the same, I suppose? I don't know if my parallel universe counterpart inhabiting this theoretical world would feel as indifferent as I am right now.
Well after the initial HOLY CRAP WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE WHY HOW feeling, I'd probably adapt to the variation. I wouldn't feel negative if I saw some guys in dresses or girls wearing their pants too low and exposing their boxers.
Relationship ones. Any romantic relationship, Man-Woman, Man-Man, or Woman-Woman, should be equal, not one being the "man" and one the "woman."

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I wouldn't change enough for it to look like I'm any different than usual.

Honestly, yes. I love loose clothing that can flow in the wind, and a nice skirt or dress fits that description pretty well, along with liking designs that a lot of the mens' section fails to have.

Of course.

If the gender roles didn't exist, I thankfully wouldn't see a guy running around in a dress screaming, "I'm a girl!" Though I would judge someone negatively if that ever did happen in that kind of world, since it ruins things for everyone else.

All of them, but obviously, the clothing limitations would be the first thing to go, for reasons listed above, and hating having to go out in the same style of pants every day (cargo, since they're the most comfortable to me).

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
Years
There would be no different style of dress, as there would be nothing to convey. We would all be uniform. Division probably wouldn't exist, and it would be two different versions of the same sex.

That said...

Probably. Or not. I can't really say, because I live in a house full of females, and have always had an equal mix of both genders influencing me.

"Femininely" wouldn't exist. There'd be no different gender-specific clothing, just different styles. I'd wear what I wear now, shorts and a shirt.

I'd be able to cosplay.

...so no.

They'd think me odd for saying that my mother is a better cook than my father, and things like that, so it'd be probably be the other way around, with me being judged negatively.

None, really. Mothers are better at maternal things than men, and men, in order to make life easier for the wife that they should be protecting, should shoulder more of the burden.

Really, I don't think "people should things because they are X", I think "people should do the things that make the most logical sense, or benefit the most people".

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
Physically yes, personality wise I doubt it.

If I was a guy and like I am now as a girl I would probably dress femininely all the time.

Yes.

No, not at all.

I dunno, quite a few of them I suppose. Just because I don't think you should be tied down into doing what people say you should do just because you're physically one sex.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd probably stay relatively the same.

I'm a guy, so I wouldn't dress in feminine clothing even when I felt like it. I'd feel weird if i did it.

No, not really.

I wouldn't do that because I don't really care if gender roles existed or not.

I'd do away with the males being dominant over the females because I see men and women as equals and that women can do things just as well as men can.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
I don't think so. I already value each gender as equals. I can love either, my body is attracted to primarily guys, but love is existent on all levels as love is not sex. Nobody has ever told me I can't, and if they have, I wasn't listening and really don't care. I already know I can be and do whatever I want, if I just put my mind to it, you know?

Nope. My style wouldn't change a bit. I wear what I think looks good, whether I have to go the Men's section to pick it up, or the women's section. I don't care, clothes are clothes. To have gender identity on clothes is such a stupid, stupid thing. I primarily shop in the women's section anyway, which is the opposite from my own gender, so I guess I already dress feminine, haha!:D

I already have this freedom, whether the government choose to acknowledge it or not is a different question. This type of freedom is a state of mind that you yourself have to achieve, a state of mind that says: This is okay. Otherwise you will have fear of social stigma which is robbing you of your freedom to not be judged and you're freedom for gender equality/roles.

Nope, I'd probably like the world a whole lot better.

That guys can't hug, hold hands and compliment eachother without being gay. I am gay so it doesn't really matter. But a lot of people don't associate with me for fear we might do something perceived as gay. You know, it's that "no homo" thing that I'm talking about. SMH. Is our society so homophobic that we have to point out such a thing like that? I mean come on.

Relationships would be equal whether man-man, man-woman, woman-woman etcetc. That's how it should be. They should be able to get married. I could understand certain churches or whatever not wanting to participate in this, and that's fine, they don't have to.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
I have never been told what I can and can't do because of my gender, so no, it would be the same.

Ummm it would always seem 'wrong' and just plain weird, even without any gender differences. So no I would dress according to my gender, always. It just seems more natural or right to me.

The fact that women and girls are still treated like lesser humans in most countries is pretty awful, so I hope that all changes and everyone can be equal.

No, it would benefit just so many people in developing countries where women still don't have the rights that men do. But I can't help judging people who, say cross-dress, negatively, not that I don't like them, but they just wouldn't be people who I hang out with or understand. And I can't help judging all people I don't know in my head, so it certainly isn't anything personal.

In my society, I can't think of any at this moment. I think the society I live in have both genders equal. There is a female PM in power at the moment, and she is thought by the public to getting a lot of heat by all the old sexist men in parliament, who are still living in the old days where women "couldn't" lead.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I naturally made friends with girls and not boys when I first started school; my mum said she was scared I'd get bullied for it or something, so stopped me from seeing them, stopped me from playing with girls toys which I'd done up until that point, and made me do 'boy things' instead and only let me be friends with boys. So different friends = different person imo.

As I am right now? Absolutely not. If I was brought up in a world where it's seen as normal? Maybe.

Impossible to say.

No.

I dislike the way the legal system works in cases such as child custody and divorce. In the vast majority of cases it doesn't matter what the situation is, it's always the male that gets ****ed over by the courts whilst the female gets a hefty sum of money and custody of the children.

Back