• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I skipped gen 5

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 21, 2014
Like the title says, I've never played gen 5. It was just simply due to my lack of interest in Pokemon at the time. After getting back into the games with X and Y I would really like to experience these games. I've been thinking about getting Black 2. After playing through gen 6 do you think it will devalue gen 5 for me? What sets the gen 5 games apart from gen 6? What did you enjoy from gen 5 that you wish was in gen 6?

Last edited:

Outlier

Don't worry bro it was by FAR the worst gen ever.

- Crap legendaries (except Zekrom)
- Horrible designs for most Pokemon that gen
- Awkward graphics that weren't quite 3D but were definitely an eyesore
- Lame protagonist designs especially for the male
- Next to no post-game activity
- Uninspired music

Give it a miss I say. X & Y are much better all around. 5th gen was just filler in my book.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
You will regret it Till The End.

Anyways... 5 generation was especially interesting because of the storyline and the graphics but now that 3DS games overwhelmed the graphic part, 5th generation games can only offer good storyline and you can get familiar with Pokemon. If you don't really plan on getting some 5th generation Poke into your X/Y team, you can pretty much skip the generation.
If you like Pokemon you would want to play something from each generation, though xD

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, a bunch of that is a matter of opinion. Crap legends? Some people like them, some people dislike, simple as that. Same as your claim of uninspired music - while some of the legends did look pretty similar to each other, I really have to disagree that the music was 'uninspired'. Same goes for designs for Pokemon and protagonists (which is a pretty darn minor reason to not get a game, let's be honest). But each to their own.
Next to no post-game activity
This is more objective however. True for BW, but certainly not for B2W2. (Musicals, Movies, Join Avenue, Battle Subway, medals, white hollow/black tower, dream world, missions... I think it had a lot to do.).

My advice? If you find it cheap, go for it. You'll add a bunch of Pokémon to transfer over to 6th gen games when Bank finally comes out, at the very least. And there were a bunch of features in the game I wish were in X&Y (medals, join avenue, even many parts of the dex. Being able to see what you are missing for each part of each route? Dang). My preference is B2W2 due to more content, and it's not necessary to have played BW to be able to play its sequels. (It does help, but you won't get too lost on the plot, I'd wager).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 21, 2014
My preference is B2W2 due to more content, and it's not necessary to have played BW to be able to play its sequels. (It does help, but you won't get too lost on the plot, I'd wager).

That's good to know. I was about to ask that. I would also like to be able to transfer my Pokemon from SoulSilver to my copy of X. I don't mind skipping Black 1 and going straight to Black 2 because there seems to be so much more end game content. There's so little to do at the end of X that it left me wanting more.

Years
I would say it's definitely worth going for. As bobandbill said, there is a lot to like about Gen V, especially BW2. Other than what's already been mentioned, battling N and Ghetsis at the end of BW is almost up there with Cynthia from DPPt in terms of epic fights, for one. (Alder and Iris, the Champions, maybe not so much, but I certainly had fun with the latter.)

Chibiterasu

내가 다시 왔네
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 17, 2020
It's jsut a matter opinion. If you think you might enjoy it, go for it. I don't think BW2 even cost that much anyore. Even though it was one of the worst Gens in my own opinion, that shouldn't affect what choice you make. I'd say go for it, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. BW2 was a LOT better than BW, but I still don't like Gen 5 as much. There's also some post-gmae activity and you even have the chance to trasnfer your Gen 5 pokemon, (BW2 as previous gen pokes as well) and you can have them in your or Y game. It really isn't that good anymore, but I'd say go for it. Again, it wouldn't hurt to try and it prolly doesn't even cost that much anymore.

Go for it, but only if you want to. If not, you can save your monies for something else.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Personally, I liked B/W a lot! The storyline was the most enjoyable out of all Pokemon games IMO, which I'm sure many players can agree with. If this + other characteristics already mentioned in the thread sound appealing to you, go for it. There are lots of cheap second-hand cartridges available online.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Gen V had some of the worst Pokemon games I've ever played. Black 2 and White 2 had some postgame stuff and the Dream World was fun when it was around, but I stopped playing gen five after I got the Shiny Charm in Black 2 and started playing Gen II again.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I actually like Gen 5. The lack of old Pokemon in the regional dex in B/W disappointed me at first, but this was fixed in B2/W2. I did grow to love plenty of Unova mons, though. Serperior, Samurott, Chandelure, Volcarona, Ferrothorn, Krookodile, Haxorus, Hydreigon, the list goes on.

Other than that, I loved Pokestar Studios, and Team Plasma was a big step in the right direction.

Years
Honestly I enjoy playing fifth gen, there is a lot of post game things to do after you beat it. You just have to look around for them, Its not something there staring in your face.

I mean there is PWT and Join Avenue for instance. That's just two of my favorite past times on here but the breeding mechanics is so simple, that's really the only thing about fifth gen that gets me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Gen 5 was the best generation I played until Gen 6 came out. Loved everything about both Black/White and Black2/White2.

If you want, Black2/White2 is alright to start as they don't intertwine as much as most would think. Just like any Pokemon Game before it the story is separate enough to not need to have played before. For full Gen 5 experience, I do recommend doing both sets, originals first and then sequels, but you don't have to do so.

Gen 5 was the best before Gen 6 though.

Years
Glad you decided to pick it up! Hopefully you'll find it enjoyable. As I said, there is a lot to like about it, and while some people don't appreciate it, it's worth at least trying since it has plenty of Pokémon and other side-quests to keep you occupied.

Off topic but I didn't expect you to be a girl o:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Many of our opinions were different once the 5th generation was announced. At first we weren't as fond with the Pokemon than we were now. We waited till the games came out, we tried it out, and our thoughts have changed. It happens sometimes.

I'm glad you decided to try out Black 2. Although I do recommend the first Black game so you can fill in any plot holes you may have missed out, but that's just my $0.02. I'm sure you will love not only the game, but what this generation had offered. Best of luck!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I strongly recommend 5th gen. They're really fun to play through and even replay once in a while.

B2W2 is HUGE. "Some" post game content is a gross understatement. There's A LOT to do after you finish the game, and the PWT gives it enormous replay value.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
My advice? If you find it cheap, go for it. You'll add a bunch of Pokémon to transfer over to 6th gen games when Bank finally comes out

Not to mention Gen. V games are required if you want to use the PokéTransferer.

Years
It's too bad that you skipped it.
Gen 5 was, let's say okay. I personally liked BW better than BW2; I decided to play one original and one sequel again. I enjoyed BW2 better after trying everything for the first time.

BW - The lack of previous Gen Pokemon grossed me out, because of that, I thought it was very boring.
The Post-game kinda sucked too.

BW2 - The lack of previous gen Pokemon was finally fixed. There were many things to do before and after beating the game.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
Years
Like the title says, I've never played gen 5. It was just simply due to my lack of interest in Pokemon at the time. After getting back into the games with X and Y I would really like to experience these games. I've been thinking about getting Black 2. After playing through gen 6 do you think it will devalue gen 5 for me? What sets the gen 5 games apart from gen 6? What did you enjoy from gen 5 that you wish was in gen 6?

As someone who also did this and ultimately gave in and went back to Gen 5 games, I would have to agree with the majority of you: All around not worth the time if you're already invested in X/Y.

When you start X/Y without having played B/W (1 or 2), you feel like you're getting a lot more new pokemon, which can be either overwhelming or very exciting. The design style in X/Y actually does a justice to a lot of the added Gen. 5 pokemon.

The male main character look in B2/W2 is really ridiculous, and as soon as I opened my new file, I put it on hold. I just couldn't deal with the choppy aesthetic that the game has. The Unova Pokedex is nothing to write home about either.

I will say that it would be worth getting one of the Gen. 5 games if you were a Pokefan before, and want to see some of your older Gen characters in your new X/Y, since Gen. 5 is the only game that allows you to transfer Pokemon from previous generations into the game, and then send them to the Pokemon Bank (once it's finally released).

Back