• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Distortion World

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
So, in the release of Pokemon Platinum, we got two new things:
We got Giratina's new forme - the Origin Forme Giratina
487-origin.gif

and the twisted new area known as the Distortion World.

distortion-world.png

As you traversed Spear Pillar, and encounter Cyrus face-to-face atop it, you see his plan unleashed - the Red Chain. Dialga and Palkia are trapped in it, and in the middle of the chaos, Giratina arises from it's home, and lets out a bloodcurdling screech. It then attacks Cyrus and throws him into the Distortion World, and you and Cynthia must enter it to save the Sinnoh Region, with the aid of the Lake Guardians, of course.

What did you think about this new area? Was it mystifying? Maybe a bit creepy, knowing one of the creepiest, mysterious Pokemon lurked there? I thought it was rather odd - the vanishing trees were different, and the surfing up waterfalls going downwards was a twist I enjoyed. The silhouette of Giratina flying above you as you travel the Distortion World scared me, as it was sudden, and unexpected. What did you think?

Discuss~

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
At first I thought it had some badass wild pokemon, but it didn't and it pissed me off.
But the idea is kind of impressive, it also looks odd and cool.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I quite enjoyed the distortion world. It was (And still is) interesting to traverse without being too confusing (unlike Sendoff Spring). The silhouette, although initially shocking (mainly because I was about 14 and scared easily), wore off in effect. Although at least it keeps reminding you that there is a goal at the end of the whole thing.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The Distortion World was easily one of the most mysterious and interesting locations in the Pokemon series. There are impossible sights everywhere, from glowing plants that are flipped upside down and surfing down on waterfalls without losing balance and falling off. To be honest, I was disappointed that there weren't any tough and impressive-looking Pokemon around but then again, I don't think many creatures would enjoy inhabiting a place as chilling as the Distortion World. But overall it was an interesting concept and I have to say Gamefreak did an excellent job with its backstory, the involvement of the three Lake Guardians was also interesting.

In general, I thought it was spooky at first but over time I enjoyed completing the various puzzles. What I never understood though was why Cynthia didn't help you beat Cyrus or left it up to you, to defeat him. I guess that's how games work although it would of been interesting seeing Cynthia annihilate Cyrus's team using either her Garchomp or another powerful all-out attacker like Lucario. Nevertheless I enjoyed the Distortion World and have to say it was an interesting place to explore.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
It was a very refreshing area/section the plot of Platinum. I loved the aesthetics of the world, and I particularly enjoyed the puzzles. (Which proved quite a challenge!) Compared to other areas that had puzzles, the Distrortion World would probably have to be the one that made me use my problem solving skills the most. It was great.

One thing I would have loved to have seen though, was (as like Narnia mentioned), wild Pokemon. It's true that not a lot of Pokemon would want to live in such surroundings, but that doesn't mean all of the wouldn't. What about ghost, dark and perhaps even psychic types, that thrive off shadows, darkness and everything warped and twisted?

Years
I have to echo the fact that I would've loved to seen some wild Pokemon hanging about in the Distortion World, but that didn't keep me from enjoying it.

It was really unlike anything we'd ever seen in the series up to that point- having disappearing plants/trees, boulders and platforms, being able to go up sideways waterfalls (without the need for the HM), and basically just defying the laws of physics in general. Plus, some of the 3D effects that were used there gave us a little glimpse of what we saw in the fifth gen. I hope we can see something like this in future games again, as it was one of, if not, the main highlight I took away from Platinum.

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
Years
In my opinion, this is the main niche area of Platinum that sets it apart from Diamond and Pearl.

I loved the 3D effect of the distortion world, also the concept that space or time doesn't exist. I also liked the unstable gravity that allows the player to walk on vertical or upside-down platforms. Besides that, the waterfall in the Distortion World is also something very spectacular.

I have to admit, the first time I visited this area, I was only 10. Therefore, I was scared out of my wits due to the creepy music and also the design of the general area. However, the thing that creeped me out the most was that moment when Giratina-O is about to battle you. At THAT moment, the surroundings became darker and more intense.

Not only that, with a catch rate of 3, Giratina is absolutely hard to catch. It also has some devastating moves such as Dragon Claw, Ominous Wind which has a very slim chance of raising all stats and especially the dreadful Shadow Force. Shadow Force causes huge dents in your teams if you do not resist the move's type. In my first playthrough, I had absolutely no choice but to waste my Master Ball on this thing, even though I could have saved it for the 5 Platinum roaming Pokemon.

Overall, I could not describe this place in words, it was just totally epic and yeah, creepy... I do like the vines which vanish and appear too. Currently I'm replaying my Platinum as my first playthrough was an epic fail...(Now at Eterna Forest)...

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I've never actually played Platinum, sadly, but I know allot about the Distortion World. I really liked the idea and wished it had been in other games, or something like it. It really added a creepy feel to Giratina and the mystery revolving it's existence. Rather nice, overall.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I very much enjoyed the addition of the Distortion. It added an interesting aspect to the game, and looking into the context it is actually a very unique and mystefying place, where no time flows and space is unstable, a place where only Giratina lives. The only gripe I have about it is how little of the game the Distortion World took up; I would have liked to see multiple visits to the Distortion World.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Distortion World is one of the coolest place on Pokémon game as a whole, because I could explore it in twisted way, I like it when exploring the waterfall there and I enjoyed completing the puzzles of Lake Guardians there.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
OMG. The Distortion World was what made me go WOAHHHH. Like really! This was one of the reasons why I started Platinum although I had already finished my Pearl version. When I took my first step through that portal, it was amazinggg. Although it was a little confusing at first, the 3D effects in the area made the place seem so new and fresh and quite different from a normal up-down-left-right walking style. Trekking across ceilings and riding down that huge waterfall with the wacky gravity law in effect was really a great experience for me. The disappearing boulders and trees gave a whole mysterious atmosphere to the place, and the puzzles presented with the Lake Guardians that urged the player to push down boulders through holes that were solved with some time and skill made time spent there really interactive and exciting as well. With Giratina watching your every move as you walk, the Distortion World is undeniably one of the best additions to the Pokemon world.

Back