• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Gym Leaders Speculation

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I know we haven't even seen a glimpse of the Gym Leaders but hey, what better time to think of them than now?

Do you think they're going to do a dark type Gym Leader finally? Or perhaps a Gym Leader can dual specialize this time around?

Last edited:

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Ahh I'm looking forward to the gym leaders <3. I think they'll throw in some more unusual types than the regular Rock/Water/Grass etc., it'd definitely be cool seeing either a Dark or Ghost gym-leader. I think they might also give them a little boost in skill and strategy since sometimes, certain gym leaders in previous games proved absolutely no challenge at all. But yeah I'm looking forward to this, seeing what types they'll throw at use and what the gym leaders appearances are.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Maybe they could make dual typed Gym Leaders so that 16 types are covered after defeating the 8th gym. And if they introduced 3 more types, then the Elite 4 can be of different types and the Champion would be as usual, multi-typed.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
That whole web-type thing that we say the Player bouncing on hints at a bug-type gym at least. They could do some really freaky things with Dark or Ghost type gyms in 3D, which I'd love to see.

I just rewatched it and before I hadn't seen it (darn you internet!) it definitely seems like a connection. So possibly a bug type, which I don't mind.

I'm not sure if the one with fire blasting up was a gym but that could possibly be another Gym...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Dark leader defs. I'd also like the actual gym leaders to be really... interesting. Considering it looks like it's based upon Europe maybe the gym leaders can have a lot of European things about them (not that I know European things BUT STILL) compared to the previous games that had very American-ised gym leaders.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I'll hope Ken Sugimori would design the Gym Leaders just as awesome as he did with HGSS leader. BW Gym Leaders are cool too I guess, except for that bikini-wearing-pilot. Ken Sugimori's design for characters rarely fails me except for that one.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Skyla is amazing do not bag <3 And @ Retro that looks like the E4 to me.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Maybe they could make dual typed Gym Leaders so that 16 types are covered after defeating the 8th gym. And if they introduced 3 more types, then the Elite 4 can be of different types and the Champion would be as usual, multi-typed.

I think the gyms should keep monotype, but then the E4 could switch it up with the dual type(since I do like the idea) and the Champion being of course really well rounded.

Also, if they don't include a dark type gym finally, I will personally find a way to rewind my entire memory of anything Pokemon from Gen 6 arrival back to before this announcement.

blue

gucci
Years
Now this could either be a Psychic, Ghost or even a Dark type Gym:
6qi350.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I don't about other leaders but there should definitely a Dark-type leader.Its long overdue.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I want this generation's Gym Leaders to train a diverse range of types. The one thing I'll really crack it at, is if the first gym is a Rock Type Gym. We've already got tired of this type, and I think it's time for something fresh.

A Dark Type Gym Leader is definitely needed, no doubt, zero doubt, period, end of story. What I'm even more interested in however, is if the developers have finally understood that us gamers want more of a challenge. And not in the form of a silly Challenge Mode that's unlocked at the end of completing the main plot, (which in itself only raises trainers' pokemons' levels by 5 or so). We want a challenge straight off the bat. Meaning, we want Gym Leaders with their each, own, individual strategies.

I want so see each Gym Leader have a battling technique that complements the type of Pokemon they're using. I want to see each Gym Leader concoct a strategy to cover their type's weaknesses. I want to see each Gym Leader become smarter and stronger than the next. I want each Gym Leader to make us think, make us win by forcing us to concoct our own battle style, our own counter-strategies, not just through type adv/disadv.

Example: A Steel/Rock Type Gym Leader utilizes moves such as Rock Polish and other speed-boosting moves to help support their otherwise extremely slow Pokemon.

Also with new Gym Leaders, I want harder gym puzzles, and much better badges. Gen V's were horrible imo.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I want this generation's Gym Leaders to train a diverse range of types. The one thing I'll really crack it at, is if the first gym is a Rock Type Gym. We've already got tired of this type, and I think it's time for something fresh.

A Dark Type Gym Leader is definitely needed, no doubt, zero doubt, period, end of story. What I'm even more interested in however, is if the developers have finally understood that us gamers want more of a challenge. And not in the form of a silly Challenge Mode that's unlocked at the end of completing the main plot, (which in itself only raises trainers' pokemons' levels by 5 or so). We want a challenge straight off the bat. Meaning, we want Gym Leaders with their each, own, individual strategies.

I want so see each Gym Leader have a battling technique that complements the type of Pokemon they're using. I want to see each Gym Leader concoct a strategy to cover their type's weaknesses. I want to see each Gym Leader become smarter and stronger than the next. I want each Gym Leader to make us think, make us win by forcing us to concoct our own battle style, our own counter-strategies, not just through type adv/disadv.

Example: A Steel/Rock Type Gym Leader utilizes moves such as Rock Polish and other speed-boosting moves to help support their otherwise extremely slow Pokemon.

Also with new Gym Leaders, I want harder gym puzzles, and much better badges. Gen V's were horrible imo.

This.
I too, want Gym Leader battle more difficult and meaningful. Not just a random trainer battle with the opponent having titles. Gym Leaders having certain strategies to their would be a fresh addition. They need to do this not just for rematch, but for first battle too. At least they could make the battle against Gym Leader have level cap so we won;t breeze through by overtrained our Pokemon.

But I think this would less likely too happen, considering how Game Freak like try tos tick with old formula as possible.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
1: Bug type
2: Normal/Fire type
3: Grass type
4: Ground type
5: Steel type
6: Poison type
7: Dark type
8: Ice type

Last edited: