• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best offensive and defensive typing available for battling?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not talking about types individually, so dual-types are included. Out of any available typing, which do you think is best for offense and defense? The typing must be from a preexisting Pokemon.

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Best offensive typing: In my opinion it's Flying-Water because it's only resisted by Empoleon, Zekrom, Lanturn, and Rotom-W.

Best defensive typing: I like Electric-Flying a lot. Mostly because of its resistances, immunity to ground, and ability to use Roost (on certain pokemon) to take flying-weak hits too.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Water/Dragon is pretty much unparalleled, basically anything Dragon actually, Dragon/Flying and Dragon Ice or Fire is just as good.

Best defensive typing would be either Ghost/Dark (no weaknesses beats out more resistances in some cases) or something like Ghost/Steel maybe.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
The best(and my favorite) has to be ground/dragon offensively in gen4 every team had a weavile to check garchomp or they lost. SO much emphasis is put on having a steel type to switch into outrage/draco meteor and/or removing steel types before sweeping this brings me to my next point Steel is the best defensive typing hands down Obviously not pure steel (Sorry registeel) but each steel dual types has its own niche and people are dumbfounded at how high usage infernape still has its hard to find a reliable fire type sweeper(not saying infernape is) which most commonly used steel types have a 4x weakness to.

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2013
Best Offensive: It's kind of hard to say, there are a lot of excellent offensive sweepers. It doesn't just depend on the typing either, some pokes with great typing have a really ordinary ability to go with it making it not as good as it should be. I've found Arcanine to be a really solid attacker, it's pure fire type yes, but with its GEN 5 movepool and maybe an air balloon, there's really something to work with.

Best Defensive: Like I said above, alot can depend on ability as well.
For instance, it's not easy to pull off but you can manage a skill swap chain shifting wonder guard from Shedinja through another poke and then swapping it finally into Sableye or Spiritomb. Ghost/Dark is probably the best defensive typing in my opinion, having no actual super effective weakness.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
The best offensive typing (and my favourite imo) is Psychic, as there are a bunch of Fighting-types in the meta. Pokemon such as Reuniclus can take Fighting hits and fight back, while the fast sweepers like Alakazam can hit hard and move really fast.

Best Defensive typing is always Steel, probably. It just resists so much types...and most Steel types have strong defense, like Heatran and Steelix. They take damage like no tomorrow. Then, there's Ghost/Dark, which can't be hit by any Super effective damage (bar Scrappy fighting-type moves).

Back