• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite/Best Rival

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Gary, Paul, or Trip. Who did you enjoy the most as Ash's rival? In my opinion, my favorite is a tie between Gary/Paul. Although I do believe Paul was the strongest out of the 3. Trip is my least favorite, he seems like a Paul knock off with Green hair and a tiny bit softer attitude. Just my opinion though.

Who's your favorite & who do you think is the strongest of the 3?

Cgboy11

May arceus protect this thread
Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Aug 6, 2022
My favorite would be paul too because he gave ash a hard time on all the rival battles they had so he was the most challenging and thats why paul was my favorite rival.:D

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Paul, mainly because he's the strongest of the three. I'm impressed with the fact that he rarely loses on battles. He has a dark past, which makes him more attractive, imo.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It's quite a hard choice between Trip and Paul... I love Trip because he's not so much of a bad guy as Paul and he gives the impression that he does care about his Pokémon, whereas Paul certainly didn't throughout most of the series. However, Paul's character changed a lot and he's definitely one of the strongest characters in the anime, demonstrated perfectly by his endless number of wins throughout the Sinnoh region (other than in the league!) and his very unique strategies that he comes up with, so I'd say he's probably the best rival that Ash has had. It's not that I don't like the others, I just think his awesomeness out-weighs the other rivals by quite a way. :)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Gary and Trip. Gary first though,he was 10 and he could drive. Trip reminds me a lot of Gary,that's why I am thinking,Ash isn't going to beat Trip in the Poke League this generation. I also like the guy with the Blaziken in the Silver Cof.

Years
Gary and Trip. Gary first though,he was 10 and he could drive. Trip reminds me a lot of Gary,that's why I am thinking,Ash isn't going to beat Trip in the Poke League this generation. I also like the guy with the Blaziken in the Silver Cof.

Harrison. Who is awesome and definitely one of my favourites (Sneasel became one of my favourites because of him).

But Paul is by far my favourite. He had (past tense since we have his green haired knock-off now) the most unique character brought into the series and had the most passionate rivalry with Ash of any other which resulted in a huge, EPIC final battle that the underdog (Ash) won.

Gary comes close since he provided a similar challenge to Ash as Paul being more talented and I like how close he has now grown to his formal rival a great conclusion to their rivalry. Richie also comes close since it was like Ash competing against himself (but with more experience/intelligence) it was a very interesting rivalry.

I hate Trip. It is like they combined Gary, Paul etc. and then took away the interesting parts.

Last edited:

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
Years
Gary hands down. He was such a jerk but man, was he an entertaining one. Dude is hilarious. So mean to Ash and didn't spare Misty and Brock on some occasions such as the Cinnabar Island episodes. Plus he could drive, had like 5 girlfriends/cheerleaders, and was a great Pokemon trainer--all at the age of 10. XD

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
To me, Paul was the best. His style of raising pokemon are much like mine. He raised Pokemon with potential and not ones that remain weak throughout their life.

I do the same with my Pokemon. If they don't become better, I will box them away or release them.

I also like Paul because he was a dynamic character. Over the DP series, he becomes more understanding and slightly caring, though he never shows it.

Paul was what kept DP interesting. Without Paul, DP would have been crap.

Gary would come in second place for me. He was cool and everything, but Gary was static. He only changed slightly during the series but when he did, he didn't really show it.

Barry was like Blahh. He was the worst rival ever.

Trip....I haven't seen enough to give him a proper judgement. He seems cool so far and he currently ties with Gary in second place.

Back