• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen No Elite four in Pokemon World Tournament??

Years
I was wondering this for a long while.
The Pokemon World Tournament gathers the strongest Pokemon trainers in the world?

Where are all 18 Elite four members? they are stronger then all Gym leaders...
so why aren't they there? I doubt they are on duty cause how is it possible taking the Elite four without gym leaders to earn badges and Champion to beat... The World Tournament is lacking Dark-Type Pokemons which are specified by either Karen and Sydney who are Elite four members.

I love the PWT but I can't and will not agree with the fact that some of the strongest trainers besides rivals aren't part of it.

What do you guys think of it? And do you agree?

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I think they should be obtained via DLC but it seems that way, not sure why they didn't decide to include the Elite Four members.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Sydney was the worst Dark-type trainer ever... In fact, I hope I never see the Hoenn Elite Four again, easily the worst quartet.

I think it's because they belong to another competition, which is the Pokémon League. They aren't your run-of-the-mill trainers, they have a position and cannot leave it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Sydney was the worst Dark-type trainer ever... In fact, I hope I never see the Hoenn Elite Four again, easily the worst quartet.

I think it's because they belong to another competition, which is the Pokémon League. They aren't your run-of-the-mill trainers, they have a position and cannot leave it.

In saying that then, why were the Champions of each region included? They have positions in which they can't leave too.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016

This. The Elite Four must remain for any challenger who might not be paying attention to the fact that the PWT is on and comes to challenge the league. As you have defeated the former Champions, and they have decided to leave instead of demoting the other E4, they do not have that tie to the E4 and thus appear in the PWT.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Some Champions still refer to themselves as Champions though don't they?

I think they asked Junichi about this. I remember someone replying, The E4 remained behind to protect the region while the Leaders and Champions were away.

As for future DLC, won't happen since there aren't any sprites loaded for the other E4 members into the game. They could do like the VGC and Anime downloads and give generic sprites but that defeats the purpose.

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2014
god I haven't even reached world championship yet lol ... aaaghh T_T

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Yeah it's kinda suprosong they left them out, Maybe future DLC?

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Well this is just my opinion but if the E4 from Gen II were to make an appearance this would be their teams

Will: Bronzong, Chimecho, Xatu, Exeggutor, Slowbro, Swoobat
Koga: Venomoth, Muk, Crobat, Swalot, Skuntank, Scolipede
Bruno: Machamp, Hitmontop, Steelix/Lucario, Hariyama, Conkeldurr
Karen: Honchkrow, Houndoom, Weavile, Shiftry, Scrafty

But that's just my opinion

Years
Some Champions still refer to themselves as Champions though don't they?

I think they asked Junichi about this. I remember someone replying, The E4 remained behind to protect the region while the Leaders and Champions were away.

That is mostlikely the reason, It would be quite easy for evil organizations to take over a reign with all strong trainers in Unova and it acctually makes sense
but although theres gotta be someone who protects the region I think it would make more sense if the Gym leaders did that since they are in multiple locations, 4 people in maybe 10 cities per region is still hard to protect.

And the E4 are the 4 strongest trainers of a region it makes no sense for them not competing in the PWT while the Gym Leaders are

This. The Elite Four must remain for any challenger who might not be paying attention to the fact that the PWT is on and comes to challenge the league. As you have defeated the former Champions, and they have decided to leave instead of demoting the other E4, they do not have that tie to the E4 and thus appear in the PWT.

Cyclone

I think it is much more reasonable if a gym leader stays in his/her position as without badges you can't enter the E4 what if the adventure of a new trainer starts while the PWT is on. he would be screwed from the start because there are no Gym leaders. Only trainer with 8 badges in a reign are being able to do something for the time that the PWT is on.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Maybe there are new gym leaders in each region now? Like BW2 takes place after all of the other games I assume, so perhaps there are new gym leaders in the other 4 regions, and the ones that are in PWT are just there because they're the ones we know?

I don't know, probably a lot of flaws in that theory haha. Just a thought.

Years
Maybe there are new gym leaders in each region now? Like BW2 takes place after all of the other games I assume, so perhaps there are new gym leaders in the other 4 regions, and the ones that are in PWT are just there because they're the ones we know?

I don't know, probably a lot of flaws in that theory haha. Just a thought.

Yes, Sure it's possible if you look it that way in the 2 years Unova got 3 or 4 gym leaders changed and we don't know how much time there is between all generations so it may be possible

Also, where are Ethan/Lyra,Landon/May,Lucas/Dawn and most important Hilbert/Lyra? Those listed players have beaten atleast 9 of all the contestants in the PWT... They are Champions too! (This is yet another reason why I never feel like a Champion after defeating the champ and the E4). The main characters are all Champions but they never get credit for it, maybe cause they don't have a official team but they can just pick the teams they have in the manga... Gamefreak logic

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
In the manga/anime there are more than 8 gyms per region. I guess the Elite Four can't leave their region because they are the only Elite Four; and the champions are at PWT because the main characters are in the Champion position. In every generation, Gyms are often closed with the leader off doing something or other.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Here's my theory.

So, while perhaps not really related to the lore of the games, a viable possibility is that the E4 were simply prioritized away because they aren't as symbolical and recognized as the gym leaders and champions.
Most Elite four members don't really have a backstory or much interaction outside of the league challenge. They are in many cases, as characters, very forgettable. So since PWT is in a very obvious way pure fan service, if they had to cut some stuff because of lack of memory space and/or time (making the animated sprites, music, and highly strategic teams must be hard work), the least memorable trainer class would probably have had to go. Which very much could be the E4.

It's a shame they didn't make it though. Would've loved to at least see Koga in there, since he could probably just count as a gym leader. But nope. :(

Would it be possible for downloadable content to contain new trainer sprites (and E4 music) in Pokémon games? Don't think it has been done before.

Years
In the manga/anime there are more than 8 gyms per region. I guess the Elite Four can't leave their region because they are the only Elite Four; and the champions are at PWT because the main characters are in the Champion position. In every generation, Gyms are often closed with the leader off doing something or other.

Hmm, there were some E4 member doing something off-duty like Lorelei dealing with team rocket on fourth island , Bruno regularly visisting Sevi islands Spa , as of lance it isn't clear if was so free spirited as E4-member , Koga is said to patrol the Safari zones, whcih are all not places of their representative reign
and in the manga and anime the E4 members are even more off-duty then gym leaders.

E4 Phoebe often trains in Mt. Pyre, Flint visits his friend volkens for a sparring match, Lucian is seen at the Canalave Libary for some reading. they're prety much spending free time and in some cases even go out region

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
I think it is related to the Match-up system. There are 8 slots in any Tournament. An Elite 4 Challenge will only take 4 slots and leave the other 4 empty. The only way it could work is if it was a mixed E4 Tournament to fill up the 8 slots.
I really wanted to see them in for the sake and variation and character favorites though....

Back