• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen OR/AS Chit Chat + CoroCoro Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Chit-chat about OR & AS here! Be sure to keep discussions that could fit into existing threads into the appropriate topics, though.

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Hoenn was my favorite region. Emerald was the first game I played. Sadly, the Hoenn games were a one-time thing. They had no problem remaking Johto and Kanto into one game, So why didn't they remake Hoenn? Well, they got in too deep over their heads with making a new region. I definitely would've chose a Hoenn remake instead of black and white. So maybe after C and Y, a Hoenn remake? I'd really like that
Well, probably one of the main reasons was: Hoenn was "still compatible" with the other versions (Gen4) via Pal Park.

Since Gen III ditched the old system, trades and battles were no longer possible for Gen 3 and any Gen(s) before it. So, FR/LG were remade to bring their generation back to life. This allowed people to get the Gen 1 Pokemon they've missed from Gen 3 once again. And of course, they made it possible for FR/LG to be compatible with future games as well -- again, via Pal Park.

Probably the same case for HGSS. Since G/S/C also got the red card, they had to remake it for compatibility at some point. (I don't recall acquiring the legendary dog trio elsewhere, at least)

Sadly, since they have already made B/W kind of a separate "series", it's hard to tell whether remakes would be possible within the next 10 years (if pokemon is even still ongoing by that time). Someday, maybe, for fanservice's sake, they would remake R/S/E and apply some 3D graphics... but I doubt it.

droomph

weeb
Years
Not advertising or anything but the best way to do these things is to make a ROM hack similar to ShinyGold etc. :p

I wouldn't see a real remake coming anytime soon because 1) they're caught-up compatibility-wise and 2) the graphics are at least somewhat realistic, if you could call it as such.

But again. Fan games are the way to go - I'm not saying I don't want to see a Hoenn remake (in fact it's probably on the Top 5 in my wish list) but I don't think game-design wise (remember that these are interconnected games) this is such a priority for them, especially because they have a Triple-A game to design and produce at any given time, if not for the current Gen then for the next one.

Not advertising or anything but the best way to do these things is to make a ROM hack similar to ShinyGold etc. :p

I wouldn't see a real remake coming anytime soon because 1) they're caught-up compatibility-wise and 2) the graphics are at least somewhat realistic, if you could call it as such.

But again. Fan games are the way to go - I'm not saying I don't want to see a Hoenn remake (in fact it's probably on the Top 5 in my wish list) but I don't think game-design wise (remember that these are interconnected games) this is such a priority for them, especially because they have a Triple-A game to design and produce at any given time, if not for the current Gen then for the next one.

Last edited:
Years
It was rumoured at some point that there was going to be a remake, but it ended being false. Unlike BRY and GSC, there is backwards compatibility.

Johto and Kanto were not remade into one game; the original GSC also allowed the character to go back into Kanto, with the same story.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I remember once the Pokemon.com mailbag (which was never a reliable source of information) answered someone's question about whether there would ever be GSC remakes. The answer was no. After RSE made certain pokemon unobtainable, RBY remakes allowed for many pokemon that were otherwise not obtainable in-game to be once again obtainable. I hear some people saying that there's backwards compatibility, remakes are no longer likely.

But think: what are the real reasons for making remakes? We see on the 3DS many remakes for games, such as Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, and so forth. Why are these games being remade? Because Nintendo believes fans want to re-experience these old games. And they're right; remakes in general have sold pretty well.

Think about how old the GBA has gotten compared to the 3DS's technology. Think about how many new fans of the series, who joined at the DS era, who have not experienced Hoenn or even KANTO* for that matter. Think about the money Gamefreak could milk from this, and based on both the increasing sales of pokemon games and the profit reaped from remakes in general, they would make profit. Would the fans complain? For the most part, I don't think so.

I remember when Pokemon announced there would be big news, some people speculated either a 6th generation or RSE remakes. I correctly predicted 6th gen, because:

(1) It wouldn't make sense for pokemon game's debut region in the 3DS to be a remake as opposed to a new region, that could show their best use of the new 3DS features.
(2) There's absolutely no way Gamefreak would design another game for the old DS when Black/White was released when the 3DS was already out there. The DS held the longest era of pokemon, compared to GB/GBA.

Gameboy (1st) --> GBC (2nd) --> GBA (3rd, 1st gen remakes) --> DS (2nd gen remakes) --> 3DS (my predicted location for 3rd gen remakes.)

*I put an asterisk next to Kanto because I predict another 1st gen remake before a 4th gen remake, because FRLG is older than DPPt.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Hoenn won't and shouldn't be remade in the near future because it wasn't an 8-bit game; it isn't that special old class of games which 'deserve', as it were, remakes due to relatively significant technological advancement since their time. Even the first generation remakes are third generation themselves, so if one will remake Hoenn, why not Kanto a second time? Well, that's rhetorical. The bottom line is that the current franchise (broad changes to narrative style since the fifth generation) is profitable; a Hoenn remake 'only' has all that much appeal to existing fans and is therefore more financially risky and becomes more risky the older the original games become as less of the older fans still care.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
Just because they didn't make a remake for Gen V doesn't mean that they won't make one at all. In fact, I'm glad that they didn't make on in Gen V as it would have been WAY too soon! And the DS games are compatible with the Hoenn games.
Since the GBA games won't be compatible with the 3DS, I think we could assume that we will see Hoenn again in Gen VI, I hope so anyway.

The Hoenn games where my favourite games as well, so I really hope that we will see the remakes soon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Hmm...after the way HgSs turned out, I really hoped for RS remakes after BW. And still do, kinda - except I'm not buying a 3DS most likely (haven't even got BW2 yet, why would I go for Gen VI?), so I'd not get to play them anyway. Plus, as everyone's pointed out - Gen III is still kinda compatible. And presuming Gen V and VI are compatible, you can potentially get your Swampert right through from Hoenn to whatever the new region's called.

blue

gucci
Years
If they do decide to Remake Ruby & Sapphire (or Emerald) then it will probably follow after X and Y using the game engine. My estimate is a 2014 announcement and then a Late 2014 release and early 2015 release internationally assuming they're not released simultaneously.

On another note take a look at these pretty shiny Emeralds in Pokémon X and Y ;)
july_p04_03.jpg

Callīope1

█ uranianUmbra
Years
I want a remake for at least one of the three games, soooooo bad. There are no words. I think I've been waiting for word about them for like six years now. Maybe even before it would've even been necessary.

I'm not holding my breath that it will actually happen any time soon, though.

Years
Hoenn won't and shouldn't be remade in the near future because it wasn't an 8-bit game; it isn't that special old class of games which 'deserve', as it were, remakes due to relatively significant technological advancement since their time. Even the first generation remakes are third generation themselves, so if one will remake Hoenn, why not Kanto a second time? Well, that's rhetorical. The bottom line is that the current franchise (broad changes to narrative style since the fifth generation) is profitable; a Hoenn remake 'only' has all that much appeal to existing fans and is therefore more financially risky and becomes more risky the older the original games become as less of the older fans still care.

I agree, pretty much. I wasn't playing when these games came out so I don't have nostalgia goggles for them, but it does seem like there isn't a whole lot that would change if these games were remade aside from some graphics updates. There are differences between now and then, yes, but the developments we've gotten won't be game-changers, so to speak.

I would much rather see new games come out. I guess in that respect I'm one of the less caring fans.

Years
There's like 80% of the Pokemon fanbase that want this. THey can't just ignore it... can they? :/ there has been 9 games since Gen III... Red and green got a re-make after 5... I think we Gen III fans deserve this... and we deserve it in 3 dimensions :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
There's like 80% of the Pokemon fanbase that want this. THey can't just ignore it... can they? :/ there has been 9 games since Gen III... Red and green got a re-make after 5... I think we Gen III fans deserve this... and we deserve it in 3 dimensions :)

Actually the fans clamoring for the remakes aren't that high in number. The most vocal are the minorities so really it would be about 20-30% of the fans want the remakes. Maybe 60% don't care, the rest get pulled into different fields. I mean if you make a post in any given area, a lot of the people that respond "positively" to it would be names that pretty much appear here, Serebii, and Bulba, maybe Smogon and other large name fan sites, but a lot of them are on all the sites or multiple sites.

Locally where I am, majority of the fans (this is over 100 people as I met a ton of people in college that play Pokemon) about 80 do not want remakes...any kind of remake. 20% would not mind, but don't see any major need for such things. I'm with the 20%. I'd like them sure, I'd buy them despite them being maybe my second least favorite behind Johto.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years

Thank you so much.

I personally don't want any more remakes because then every gen we will hear stuff about a Hoenn remake, then a Sinnoh remake, and so on. IMO Sinnoh looks as "bad" as Hoenn graphically speaking, well not so bad, but considering the next game is in full 3D it makes all old games look quite bad.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I would love Hoenn remakes. Ruby was my second pokémon game and even though Hoenn isn't my favorite region and doesn't have my favorite pokédex or anything really, the games are still my favorites. They still work and aren't outdated in the same way as a half-colored GBC game is, but a Hoenn game in X & Y style, now just think about how much more epic Groudon's awakening would be! Not to mention diving and going through the desert and rainforest! Plus, I'd love to hear the music again in new fonts.

So even though I think the Hoenn games are still fully playable and enjoyable to this day, I would like remakes. It would make trading Hoenn pokémon easier, too, right?

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
It really doesn't matter how desperately some people hate Hoenn and it doesn't matter what sort of contorted arguments they might dream up - Hoenn remakes would be profitable, so it's safe to assume that there will be Hoenn remakes.

Years
anyone whos played RSE probably really wants a remake, because lets be honest, those games were freaking amazing, haha. im all for it and am expecting it after X and Y. although, i hope they dont use the new Layout that will be in X and Y, because im not huge on it yet. ~blu

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
I'd prefer an Emerald remake. Emerald was amazing and beat Ruby/Sapphire by a long shot (loved the storyline, post-league play, battle frontier, etc..). While the 3DS is compatible with DS games and the DS has a GBA slot that's just a huge pain in the rear to go through to get Gen 3 pokemon. I'm sure there will be a remake, there shouldn't be any ifs about it. If it isn't this generation (and I'm sure it may) then it'll definitely be in the next.

After the Gen 3 remakes though I doubt we'll have anymore.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Sure, I love R/S/E as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't really want a remake. Rather, I'd want a sequel. Playing a carboncopy of something I've already played, but with enhanced graphics and slightly different mechanics isn't something I'd want them to aim for. I would like Hoenn back, yes, but with a slightly different approach to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back