• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making Tilesets from Tilemaps: The Super Easy Way

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Making Tilesets from Tilemaps: The Super Easy Way

Tilesets for things like battle backgrounds and tiltlescreens can really be a pain in the butt. Most people tell you that you have to open up your map in Paint and delete all of the repeated tiles, then consolidate them. This takes forever, and really isn't necessary. In Sphere, there is a built in tileset maker, but even this isn't the best way to do it, as you still have to draw your tilemap from your tileset in NTME. I'm going to show you how to make your tileset from your tilemap and then never even have to touch a drawing tool in NTME. So, let's begin.

Things you will need:
-Sphere Game Maker
-NTME version 1.1 (it has to be 1.1, no questions)
-A tilemap (the original image you want to insert into your rom)
-GIMP/Photshop/Infranview (required for indexing)

Step 1- Get your Tilemap:
Draw your tilemap. For this tutorial I will be using my hastily made copyright screen from Pokémon Derpizard.

Spoiler:

When you are comfortable with how it looks, save it as a .png. It won't matter if it is indexed.

Step 2- Preparing Your .RMP File

Now, there are three programs that came with Sphere. Open up Editor.exe.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Now that we have it open, let's import our tilemap (File->Import->Image to Map):

Spoiler:

Click on "Image to Map" and select the tilemap you made earlier.

It will then ask where to save the output .rmp file. Place it in a good location. The next prompt asks for tile dimensions. This needs to be changed from 16x16 to 8x8.

Spoiler:

Then click "yes" to removing duplicate tiles.

Then click "OK".

Step 3- Time to Make the Tileset:

Now we make our tileset. Open up the .rmp file just by dragging it into Sphere. We now have this:

Spoiler:

On the right is our tileset. This is what we want to save. Next, click on the "Tileset" tab just above our image.

Spoiler:

Now, let's look at that window to our right which displays our whole tileset, we need to adjust it so that the bottom row is as filled as it can be by changing the width of the window. To help you in this, right-click on the tileset and select view, from there, turn on the grid. This will make it really easy to see when the bottom row is filled.

Spoiler:

Great, mine only required a slight adjustment, but yours may require a little bit more.

Now, drag that pink box and try to select the entire tileset, if your bottom row isn't completely full, it won't let you select everything:

Spoiler:

Now, our tileset is displayed in the tileset tab of the first window. Right-click on it, and copy.

Spoiler:

Paste what we copied in a good image editor like GIMP and index it to 16 colors. Then save it as a .png. Also, you can close Sphere. Don't save! (You may have made some accidental changes to the map. We don't want those.)

Congratulations! You just made a tileset without having to do much thinking!

Step 4- Make Your .RAW in NTME 1.1:

Now, we have our tileset and our tilemap. Let's open up NTME and make our .raw.

Open up your tileset like you normally would from the file menu.

Next, go to File->Open Tilemap->From Sphere RMP file.

Spoiler:

Now open up the .rmp file we produced when we first opened the tilemap in Sphere.
Spoiler:

As you can see, we didn't have to even touch the painting tools to draw our tile map. Now you can use the palette tab to set up your palette configuration as you like it, change the size of the map, and finally, export your .raw file.

I hope that this tutorial has helped everyone who hates making tilesets. When you memorize these steps, it will honestly take two minutes to get from finishing your map in Paint to being ready to adjust the palettes in NTME.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Wow, this tut will help a lot in Title Screen Editing cause I don't want to waste time in making the TileMap

Tackle

Pancham
Years
Wow this is very time-saving tutorial! With this tutorial Title Screen Editing will stop took my hours. xD

Thank you for making this. =)

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Thanks a lot!!! :) . I've always had huge problems with tilesets. Now it's super easy and fast and it's simple to add custom bg to animations of new attacks.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Nice :) Always wanted to learn how to use Sphere.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
This is amazing! I have one question though. Do you have to replace an existing tileset, or does this add one? Or do you expand a tileset with this?

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
This is amazing! I have one question though. Do you have to replace an existing titleset, or does this add one? Or do you expand a titleset with this?

This tutorial specifically deals with just making the tilesets needed for battle backgrounds, titlescreens, and such. Depending on what you are doing, the insertion can be different. In 90% of tutorials, this part is glazed over and people just say "remove repeated tiles" and that is it. So, I made this tutorial to deal with that specific step and make it a 100x easier.

So, consult the tutorial you are working with for the insertion methood.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
This is, quite frankly, wonderful. Wish I'd known about such tricks back when I was trying to create world maps for my first hack. C'est la vie, though, eh?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Great tut Karatekid! Where is the next best tutorial for inserting the tilesets and maps into the game please?

karatekid552

Years
Great tut Karatekid! Where is the next best tutorial for inserting the tilesets and maps into the game please?

What are you inserting? I have read many great tuts, but I made this because they all glaze over this step. The tutorial will depend on what you are inserting: battle backgrounds, titlescreens, bootscreens. They all have tuts, I just need to know which one to show you.

Last edited:
Back