• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Talk About Clouds

Which Cloud Storage Solution(s) Do You Use?

• Dropbox

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Skydrive

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Google Drive

• iCloud

• Wuala

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SpiderOak

• SugarSync

• AeroFS

• Bitcasa

• Tresorit

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Cubby

• Other

• Total voters

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
More specifically, cloud storage solutions and their accompanying programs.

First off, what do you think of it? Do you, maybe through Dropbox like many others, like dragging and dropping a file into a designated folder, and seeing it on any other connected computers and on the web?

If you use the cloud, what storage solutions do you use? Are there any you like more than others?

(If you're on Windows and would like to give another solution a try, Tresorit on the list is offering 50GB free for life when you sign up through a link available on Lifehacker.)

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I find using cloud storage as a convenient way to store files for access across multiple locations. I'm using DropBox right now to store my school work so I can print them out at school in case i forget to do so at home.
The good thing with cloud storage is that I don't have to bring a memory stick to store and transfer my work because occasionally, my memory stick doesn't wish to work with the computers and refuses to recognise on the school commuters >.<

AntimatterAsh

Antimatter thing.
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
My internet is mostly too slow to use cloud storage.

The only one I really use is LiveDrive. 512gb storage for £10 a year or so, and it automatically backs up as you create files.

I am buying a HP Proliant ML310 G3 tomorrow, so that sort of proves my point of "how I hate the cloud".

Years
Cloud storage has saved my life on multiple occasions, so far I've only really used DropBox, SkyDrive, GoogleDocs and that Ubuntu one.
They've all served different purposes to me, apart from ubuntu, that was more a test drive because I was given some free space. Dropbox is somewhere that I can keep photos and any files I feel like I'll need at some point in the future, like chat logs or signature coding from here. Skydrive is where I keep all my teacher training files, mostly because I'd rather send a school a file from "05jamesd" than "Hybrid Trainer".
Google Docs has to be the one that has been most useful though, I know it technically isn't a fully fledged cloud storage app but the amount of group projects it has gotten me through in the past six months alone is astounding. One little click and the draft that I've written can now be edited by my team members and within a week we can have a full report done without having to wait for people to send incomplete copies between each other.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
It can be convenient, but you're basically trusting someone else with your files. Unless you've backed them up elsewhere or don't really care about them, that's not a good idea. And unless you don't care about who sees them, it's worth it to encrypt whatever you upload, as well.

Personally, I prefer offline solutions.

Years
I use Dropbox and iCloud.. Dropbox I use just for linking files I don't particularly want up on image-hosting sites (such as imgur and minus).. and iCloud is pretty straightforward: just to keep a backup of the stuff on my iPod Touch, although every now and then I do perform a computer backup should anyone attempt to hack my iCloud account and wipe my data.

Back