• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Of The Month – December 2009 [Voting]

Map of the Month

• →goon

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • DrFuji

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Otter

Votes: 42 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

Map Of The Month - December 2009 [Voting]

Intro:

You have until 1st January to vote for your favourite maps!

Entries:

→goon - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5388916&postcount=13
DrFuji - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5394491&postcount=16
Otter - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5396581&postcount=18

Rules:

·You may only vote once per month.
·Asking or bribing others to vote for your map, will be dealt with accordingly.
·Creating new accounts to vote will be dealt with accordingly.
·Voting via the thread is not counted, only votes via the poll count.
·Don't complain that we didn't choose your map, believe me we have good reasoning.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I vote for goon( and I am the first :D) is map had exceptional pallets and extremely well done roads. Which give off a very natural feel.
I have now bought in to, goon the great. :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I vote for DrFuji's map. It's awesome, and it does give a feeling that you are on a snowy top; too bad it has som border errors. Oh well.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
I vote Goon's map for obvious reasons. Great tile placing, exceptional mountain usage,...

I would have voted for Otter's map, if it weren't for those meddling kids and that pesky dog.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I vote for DrFuji's map.

I was really so stuck in between Fuji's and Otter's map, but in the end I preferred DrFuji because of the awesome idea of 'transferring the player to a mountain city'.

As seen in the image, you enter from the left, riding a teleferick, and the tiles are the actual tiles that fit in. What turned me down from Otter's map in the end are the 'sideway stairs' tiles. I don't really like them, sorry :/

About Goon, he's a really good mapper, we know that. But, I am not into D/P/HG/SS buildings. I don't mind them not having snow on them, even though it looks weird...also, I'm kinda bugged by that tree in front of the PC. Well, yeah, the rest of the tiles are good.

So DrFuji it is.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
What turned me down from Otter's map in the end are the 'sideway stairs' tiles. I don't really like them, sorry :/
There were the exact same sideways stairs in DrFuji's map as well.

I voted for otter because I really love the creativity of the broken ice for some reason. And he is really an unknown amazing mapper and that needs to change ^_^

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
There were the exact same sideways stairs in DrFuji's map as well.

I voted for otter because I really love the creativity of the broken ice for some reason. And he is really an unknown amazing mapper and that needs to change ^_^
Oh, my bad, I'm so stupid that I didn't see it. But If I have to point out something else to elaborate, that would be the wild grass tiles. They make the map seem better, and since they're out of reach, it's completely fine.

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
I voted for Dr. Fuji's map, because it looks great and it looks fun to play. I also like how it adds 3 dimensional depth to the map, while the other maps like kind of flat to me...but don't get me wrong, ->goon and Otter are great mappers, and their maps are beautiful.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
It was close but in the end, I chose Otter's map. I don't appreciate the lack of mobility in DrFuji's map so it came down to →goon's map and Otter's map. They're both very, very good maps and it was incredibly difficult to choose. It's hard for me to say what, exactly, I liked more about Otter's map but I just got this feeling from looking at it that I can't put my finger on. →goon's map is amazing, let there be no doubt of that, but I just didn't get "that feeling".
Well done, both of you.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I'm going to have to side with styles on this one. I just love the feel of the map as a whole. Those shweet water->ice tiles make it feel even more innovative and amazing. Kudos to you, Otter.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
→goon's map is amazing, let there be no doubt of that, but I just didn't get "that feeling".
Bah, my map is boring. ^_^ Otter's had the sweet ice thing going on and DrFuji had the cable car ride to the town. My map is too generic and got in based off tiles unfortunately (I like to think at least). :/

Oh, my bad, I'm so stupid that I didn't see it. But If I have to point out something else to elaborate, that would be the wild grass tiles. They make the map seem better, and since they're out of reach, it's completely fine.
Ha, not that stupid. XP
They're kinda sneaky lol.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
Thanks for the support, you guys. <:

I'm surprised there's such a large margin in the votes at the moment. Looking at all 3 maps right now, the choice is hard, even for me as the creator of one of the maps, to decide which one I like the most. They're all excellent maps, in my opinion. o:

As Goon said himself, the mapping wasn't particularly unique this time around, but the tiles were incredible, and I still remember the first time I opened his map in the thread and saw those snowy ground tiles and thought to myself, "Well damn, that's the first time I've actually seen real SNOW in a pokemon game". Congrats to you for that! Fuji's map used mostly the tiles from the base, with the exception of the lift. But when every part of the map is dedicated to a theme or idea, even a small addition like that makes the whole map shine. As I've said in another thread, one of the greatest skills as a mapper is to be able to portray realistic geography through maps, and you did just that. Kudos to you for the map! I'm already incredibly happy I was able to participate in a contest with two skilled mappers such as yourselves.

Thanks again to everyone! On a side note,
My mapping style is still relatively new to me since I haven't gotten as much experience as some other mappers, so I'm constantly experimenting with new things. However, I was never a big fan of randomly placed wild grass tiles (even out of reach), but that doesn't mean I won't try them someday. Not a top priority for my tastes, though.

Years
Ah! otter you have to give cedit for the tree tiles to wesley fg and me,the tiles are from the proyed called 'marnian region'.

So i vote for goon,they map are very nice ^^

srry if the voting are over.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
Ah! otter you have to give cedit for the tree tiles to wesley fg and me,the tiles are from the proyed called 'marnian region'.

I gave credit in the original entries thread, but if you want me to restate it, yes credit goes to you and wes for the trees and lamp posts.
EDIT: Oh that's right, I forgot to include your name. Sorry!

Updated credits: WesleyFG, Zein, Kyledove, Alistair, Neti, dshayabusa, Fangking Omega

(sorry for the confusion)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Otters map.
I like the "Ice you can't stand on" idea and everything seems to
stand out from the others.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Goon's is good, but I dont like teh fact that theres no snow on teh buildings