• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Starters, and anything relating to it

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
What are your favorite starters from each generation and why? What about overall in both generations? If you were never someone who used the starters, like you just put them away as soon as you found your favorite, what three Pokemon in GenI/II would you place as the starters? Lets get this convo going! And what moves do you give your starter and which moves are a bust?

I like Tododile and Squirtle, maybe Charmander. But sometimes i put the starter away when I found a Tauros. Not all the time, but sometimes.

I think Tauros, Kangaskhan, and Likitung would be good starters. Mainly because they can all learn a variety of moves and also have a lot of pure strength!(Likitung is not as strong physically but it is still tough, and can learn a lot)

Tauros - Earthquake, Double-Edge, Flamethrower, Ice Beam (powerful set)
Kangaskhan - Body Slam, Earthquake, Swagger, Double Team (annoying set)
Likitung - Attract, Swagger, Double Team, Toxic (EVIL set (mwuahahaha))

Gen I starters? i havent thoght that far yet but will post when i decide!

READ!! NO POSTS FOR GEN III AND UP. MAYBE firered is acceptable, but even then, try to keep it only in the generations mentioned! color and metal only.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Tauros, Lickitung, and Kangaskhan are not starters!

But mine is Squirtle from Gen I, get's no better than an over sized turtle with cannons when it fully evolves lol.
Cyndaquil, come on, it's got fire coming out if it's back!
Mudkip, it's a beast.
Don't care for IV
Snivy, it beat Ash's Pikachu!

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
ash was 10 in 1996 and still is! how was his 12 year old pika beat by a blade of grass?? but yeah i think tauros, likitung, and kangaskahn WOULD make good starters. i know they arent starters. and i agree, cyndaquil is beast, but i like feraligatr and blastoise. one goes kaboom with cannons, the other goes kaboom with claws!! but who do you think WOULD make good starters, and what movesets would they have?? also, what movesets would you give your favorite starters that already exist.
hope that clears things up.
p.s. umbreon is AWESOME the best eevee evo to date!

Years
From the first two generations I was definitely a fire-type starter kind of gal haha - Charmander and Cyndaquil for me :)

I'd maybe pick Magby, Pichu and Cleffa, something like that :) To me they feel more like starters cause they grow up with you as you go on your journey :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If this is for all generations, why did you put it in Metal/Color? I'll leave it here, but it's already starting to get off track with people answering for gens III, IV, and V. Plus, if you want to chat it up with ShinyUmbreon, please VM him and don't get the thread more off-topic. Thanks.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
If this is for all generations, why did you put it in Metal/Color? I'll leave it here, but it's already starting to get off track with people answering for gens III, IV, and V. Plus, if you want to chat it up with ShinyUmbreon, please VM him and don't get the thread more off-topic. Thanks.

sorry about the chatting part. and this supposed to be generation specific, to I and II. I would appreciate it if posters would stick to topic. i am guilty too. thanks!
GEN II and II only!

From the first two generations I was definitely a fire-type starter kind of gal haha - Charmander and Cyndaquil for me :)

I'd maybe pick Magby, Pichu and Cleffa, something like that :) To me they feel more like starters cause they grow up with you as you go on your journey :)

i agree, except for the fact that you have to max their happiness, which i never liked to focus on. maybe if you changed them so they'd evolve by level or stone. baby pokemon would make great starters in the second gen. also, take some non-evo pokes and lower their base stats so they aren't so overpowering. it seems like a great idea for starters, especially magby.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
sorry about the chatting part. and this supposed to be generation specific, to I and II. I would appreciate it if posters would stick to topic. i am guilty too. thanks!
GEN II and II only!

It's fine, your first post confused me cause it said "from each generation" so I was like "wait what?" haha. As long as this stays gen I and II, I'm fine with it. :) Thanks!

Anyway ummm. I think some neat starters in RBY would have been...WELL TBH I would have just liked to get my Eevee. XD It gets taken in Yellow by Nubcake. Just have Eevee. Great starter!

As for GSC, I think Oddish, Poliwag, and Magby would have been cool. I know Magby doesn't have a split evolution like the other two, but I couldn't think of another Fire type haha. OR!! Sunkern, Starmie, and Growlithe. :) Stone evolutions in GSC are awful though cause it takes forever. As you can see, I don't like the idea of changing the starter types, haha.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
i see no real reason to change starter types. stone evolutions sound good, but it may take a long time to evolve them, unless you hack stones into the goldenrod store. not sure why they didnt do that originally but i digress.

poliwag, oddish, and vulpix. dont get me wrong, i love growlithe. i just always thought ninetails was more graceful.

i never really favored oddish much, so i probably wouldnt use it as a starter, but then again, i never use the grass starter.

does anyone think that pikachu should be a fourth starter?
or should there be starters that have no advantage over one another, so you can pick a starter and everyone is (somewhat) even? like, electric rock psychic? what do you guys think?? good types, and a fourth starter to even it out more?

well i enjoyed reading opinions, but nobody has aid anything for awhile, so i think i'm gonna duck out, cuz i have important projects to work on. lock this, or continue to post, but i can't follow this thread anymore. higher priorities. cya

Last edited by a moderator:
Back