• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Homework Help & Discussions Thread.

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
Years
If you need any help with Homework or anything school-related, post here.

Please remember, everyone. Helping does not mean giving them the answers. It means giving them the steps, or tricks to solve the problem and walk them through it.

PC Professors
These people are people who show their helpfulness in the section and are normally well-rounded in all topics. There are two ways you can get this rank. You can either be selected by me to receive the rank, after showing a lot of activity and help in this section. Or you can apply.

Application Format:
Name:
Specialty Subjects:
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?:

Current PC Professors:
Silais - Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology
Meganium90 - English, Science (Biology), Computers & Technology, Spanish.
Curious. - English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Health & Human Development
Plumpyfoof - Music theory and composition, audio engineering, sound production, and physics
Razor Leaf - Biology (particularly molecular and cellular), chemistry and some maths
JNathan - French, English
synerjee - English, Biology, Psychology and very basic Japanese
Magic Christmas Lights - Psychology, especially social psychology
flegz - Maths, physics
Clemstar - Advanced English, Advanced Mathematics, Ancient History, Legal Studies and Business Studies

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I hope I can still respond to this. I'm in 8th grade in gifted language arts, and I'm having trouble with something we're doing called the Pee chain. My teacher last year barely explained it, so I'm having trouble with it this year. In my class, we recently watched a Batman movie and are now doing some assignments on it and the teacher posted on the website "Activity 1.9 Write an expository essay (intro, body, conclusion) about your understanding of the hero's archetype
do not write a summary of the movie - it will be counted as off topic
follow the PEE CHAIN strategy
Body 1 - Stage 1
Body 2 - Stage 2
Body 3 - Stage 3"

I get all the archetype and other things, but I'm completely lost in the Pee chain. Can anyone explain to me how it works?

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I guess I'll apply :D

Name: Silais (Dee in real life)
Grade Level: Sophomore in college
Specialty Subjects: Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I'm a double major in CJUS and PSYCH and am in my second year of college. I am looking into an internship at the Star Academy in South Dakota, which is a juvenile detention and rehabilitation center. I have taken six CJUS classes and two PSYCH classes so far in my college career. I am also minoring in Sociology but have not yet taken any Sociology classes.

Years
I hope I can still respond to this. I'm in 8th grade in gifted language arts, and I'm having trouble with something we're doing called the Pee chain. My teacher last year barely explained it, so I'm having trouble with it this year. In my class, we recently watched a Batman movie and are now doing some assignments on it and the teacher posted on the website "Activity 1.9 Write an expository essay (intro, body, conclusion) about your understanding of the hero's archetype
do not write a summary of the movie - it will be counted as off topic
follow the PEE CHAIN strategy
Body 1 - Stage 1
Body 2 - Stage 2
Body 3 - Stage 3"

I get all the archetype and other things, but I'm completely lost in the Pee chain. Can anyone explain to me how it works?
Ooh acronyms, fancy! I did a quick google on PEE chains and it comes out as:

1. P - Point
  2. E - Evidence
  3. E - Explain

I wasn't instructed this way in particular, but I do see the logic behind it and I'll give you my take.

• Point - this is the argument that you are trying to make. It's a stance and the main idea. If you don't have a point, then you're not arguing anything. The most basic example is: Batman is ______ because of ______. It's very important to make this clear, because the rest of the paragraph is built around this section.
  • Evidence - this is what you use to justify your argument. If you don't have evidence, then why should the reader believe what you have to say? You'll probably take something the hero says or does, or something another character says about him or does to him, or perhaps how the director tried to portray him with costume or music. Whatever the case may be, you'll talk about something about the character, and it will support your argument, try to prove it.
  • Explain - this is the meat, the material, the thought process and the smart stuff. You explain (lol i guess) how your evidence is relevant to your point. You have your point and you have your evidence, but what's the relationship between them? This is the "because" or the "so what" section. This is where you're doing, I suppose, the arguing.

Although the format is presented in three discrete parts, ideally you'd have some flow going on, linking the point and evidence and explain through transitioning sentences and words such as:

For this reason, because, although, furthermore, etc. etc. I'm sure you've gotten/will get a worksheet on this, and you can always look online for resources. Finally, you'll also have a conclusion as well, that's always good as it makes your point clear and helps structure the paragraph because it will "read" like an ending.

I was taught GERRC paragraphs (Generalization, Elaboration, Reference, Reference, Conclusion). It's essentially the same thing, but there are important lessons to be drawn:

• Having both a Generalization and Elaboration makes for a stronger introduction. The generalization is the first sentence that explains "what" you will argue, plain and simple. The Elaboration expands on that, gives more detail, and can answer "why" or "how" you will argue something. Personally, I like that better than just putting all of that under a Point umbrella because you're being more clear and having a better flow - it's a smooth transition from general to more specific points (ie, your evidence and explanations).

• I like how the PEE method has both an Evidence and Explanation section, because in GERRC it's just lumped together under Reference (two references because ideally you need more than one piece of evidence). It makes it clear that you have to argue for the evidence - because a lot of the time people screw up by just presenting the evidence without saying anything about it, then it's just left hanging, eh? It's a subtle difference, but very important because you as the writer are going to take the Evidence you present to its potential by giving a good Explanation.

I hope this helps you out! PEE is just a well thought-out format of presenting your writing. Just remember and understand how the structure works and why it's PEE and you'll be well on your way. Feel free to ask more questions! It'll help me as much as it'll help you :P

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ooh acronyms, fancy! I did a quick google on PEE chains and it comes out as:

1. P - Point
  2. E - Evidence
  3. E - Explain

I wasn't instructed this way in particular, but I do see the logic behind it and I'll give you my take.

Point - this is the argument that you are trying to make. It's a stance and the main idea. If you don't have a point, then you're not arguing anything. The most basic example is: Batman is ______ because of ______. It's very important to make this clear, because the rest of the paragraph is built around this section.

Evidence - this is what you use to justify your argument. If you don't have evidence, then why should the reader believe what you have to say? You'll probably take something the hero says or does, or something another character says about him or does to him, or perhaps how the director tried to portray him with costume or music. Whatever the case may be, you'll talk about something about the character, and it will support your argument, try to prove it.

Explain - this is the meat, the material, the thought process and the smart stuff. You explain (lol i guess) how your evidence is relevant to your point. You have your point and you have your evidence, but what's the relationship between them? This is the "because" or the "so what" section. This is where you're doing, I suppose, the arguing.

Although the format is presented in three discrete parts, ideally you'd have some flow going on, linking the point and evidence and explain through transitioning sentences and words such as:

For this reason, because, although, furthermore, etc. etc. I'm sure you've gotten/will get a worksheet on this, and you can always look online for resources. Finally, you'll also have a conclusion as well, that's always good as it makes your point clear and helps structure the paragraph because it will "read" like an ending.

I was taught GERRC paragraphs (Generalization, Elaboration, Reference, Reference, Conclusion). It's essentially the same thing, but there are important lessons to be drawn:

1. Having both a Generalization and Elaboration makes for a stronger introduction. The generalization is the first sentence that explains "what" you will argue, plain and simple. The Elaboration expands on that, gives more detail, and can answer "why" or "how" you will argue something. Personally, I like that better than just putting that under a Point umbrella because you're being more clear and having a better flow - it's a smooth transition from general to more specific points (ie, your evidence and explanations).

2. I like how the PEE method has both an Evidence and Explanation section, because in GERRC it's just lumped together under Reference (two references because ideally you need more than one piece of evidence). It makes it clear that you have to argue for the evidence - because a lot of the time people screw up by just presenting the evidence without saying anything about it, then it's just left hanging, eh? It's a subtle difference, but very important because you as the writer are going to take the Evidence you present to its potential by giving a good Explanation.

I hope this helps you out! PEE is just a well thought-out format of presenting your writing. Just remember and understand how the structure works and why it's PEE and you'll be well on your way. Feel free to ask more questions! It'll help me as much as it'll help you :P

Ah I see. I wasn't sure about the evidence and explain parts. Thank you this will really help me on this project I'm working on due in a while. And also isn't this just another way of writing a CER used in science?

Years
Ah I see. I wasn't sure about the evidence and explain parts. Thank you this will really help me on this project I'm working on due in a while. And also isn't this just another way of writing a CER used in science?

Ooh, super fast response! CER = Claim/Point, Evidence/Evidence, Reasoning/Explanation? Sounds good to me. Yep, I guess it's the universal method of stating and proving/supporting a point.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
bis encouraged me to apply for a professor position. :3

Name: Megan
Grade Level: That doesn't exist for me anymore lmao. but I guess post-grad? College Super Senior? I only have a cert in IT. xD
Specialty Subjects: English, Science (Biology mostly, took AP Bio in high school and I remember the material clearly), Computers & Technology, Spanish.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: At the moment I am majoring in IT (for a higher degree) and I'm minoring in English. I took every English class out there at my college, and I only need one more class to complete my minor requirements. My cert. in IT allows me to at least help anyone who needs help getting through some tech classes. And then there's Spanish. I'm a native Spanish speaker, so I can help out anyone who has any trouble with their Spanish homework. But I warn ya, I have a long "terms and conditions" thingy in regards to translations! xD

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Name: Nathan
Grade Level: Year 11 (But am studying a yer 12 subject.)
Specialty Subjects: English, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Health & Human Development.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: If I can help someone out by sharing some of my knowledge and understanding then wynaut? Plus, I've always been interested in teaching and am considering it as a career- aside from my wish to become a doctor or medicinal researcher/chemist -when I'm in my senior years. c:

Years
Alright here we go.

Name: Norah
Grade Level: 2nd year University Audio and Sound production, Grade 6 music theory, post year 12 theoretical Physics (anything after my VCE was recreational)
Specialty Subjects: Music theory and composition, audio engineering, sound production, and physics.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I want to educate, I like to help people succeed academically. I don't necessarily want the title I just want peeps to know I'm here and willing to help.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
'sup.

Name: Razor Leaf or any variation on this that you like.
Grade Level: Undergraduate at uni, 2nd year Medical Biochemistry. I assume that's what's meant here, anyway.
Specialty Subjects: Biology (particularly molecular and cellular, but that's probably unnecessarily specific for the purposes of this post d:), chemistry and some maths.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I like using what I know to help people out, I guess!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Name: Nathan
Grade Level: Grade 11
Specialty Subjects: French, English.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I like helping out I guess.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Name: synerjee/Amanda

Grade Level: Currently studying first year Psychology undergraduate course at uni.

Specialty Subjects: English, Biology, Psychology and basic Japanese. (mind you, very basic Japanese.)

Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: Helping others has always been my passion. I want to reach out to others in any way possible, so why not through here? Language has always been one of my strong points and I have always had a love for Biology and Psych, and I would like to benefit others with what I have. :D

Years
Name: Neon or Magic Christmas Lights
Grade Level: Fifth year psychology undergrad.
Specialty Subjects: PSYCHOLOGY, especially social psychology.
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I live to be of service. I don't get to apply my knowledge very often and this could be the place where I finally get to!

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Name: Flegz
Grade Level: Studying Aerospace engineering (Bsc)
Specialty Subjects: Maths, physics
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I enjoy helping people and I love education.

Last edited:
Years
Name: Clemstar (Ben)
Grade Level: Year 11
Specialty Subjects: Advanced English, Advanced Mathematics, Ancient History, Legal Studies and Business Studies
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: Like others have said above me, I don't often feel as if I get to apply my knowledge to anything very often outside of the classroom. I feel as though I could maybe apply this knowledge by helping others. Besides, I actually really like helping people with their homework! :P

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
I have a dynamics question I have been struggling with for a while now and I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out a bit.

15mb7nc.png

The motion of the peg P is constrained by the lemniscate curved slot in OB and by the slotted arm OA. If OA rotates counterclockwise with an angular velocity of
2eyz954.gif
, where t is in seconds, determine the magnitudes of the velocity and acceleration of peg P at θ=30°. When t = 0, θ=0.

The first thing I did, was both deriving and integrating θ ̇:

15clfdc.gif

6ntg1l.gif
can be written as
synqmp.gif
. By deriving and double deriving the equation for r, I got that:

jufuo1.gif

My next step was using integration to find the time t when θ=30° (pi/6 radians).

2mmg492.gif

By filling in this t in the equations above, I got that:

169exdt.gif

The equation for the v-vector is given as:

2yuwtc4.gif

This is a 2D problem, so the magnitude of the velocity should be:

n4ih5d.gif

According to the answer sheet, this answer is correct. Now I have to find the magnitude of the acceleration a, which is where I'm having problems. The acceleration is given as:

1zeh09k.gif

Again, this is a 2D problem, so the acceleration should be:

4jvvkm.gif

This is not the correct answer, according to the answer sheets. The answer should be
33kg38y.gif

Anyone sees what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years

Your second derivative of r definitely isn't right. Particularly the first term. I haven't done the whole math out, but you should re-check your math here. Specifically, how did you get the 4-theta term inside the cosine? I don't think there's any way for that to come about unless it was a mistake.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Your second derivative of r definitely isn't right. Particularly the first term. I haven't done the whole math out, but you should re-check your math here. Specifically, how did you get the 4-theta term inside the cosine? I don't think there's any way for that to come about unless it was a mistake.

I was already doubting that double derivation, but according to Wolfram, it's correct: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derive+(-2sin(2x)/(sqrt(cos(2x)))

EDIT:

I fixed the equation for the acceleration, as I noted that one down incorrectly, but it still doesn't give me the right answer.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
Shoot...I thought for sure that was it. Everything else looks correct. My guess is you must have made an arithmetic error somewhere...

After a good night's sleep, I looked back at the problem, and turns out the double derivation was wrong after all! From now on, I'll stop relying too much on Wolfram lol.

I worked it out like this:

sd1naw.jpg

**39,1m/s^2, not m/s lol

Last edited:
Back