• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Shinies in Gen 1?

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
So basically:
10297630_1501256076762426_4717007270002474393_n.jpg

This is my Nidoqueen, Thorn.
She is from my Pokémon Blue Pak.
And well, whenever I play as her on Pokémon Stadium 1; she appears to be a different color than the other Nidoqueen you can see.

Does this mean shinies are in Gen 1?
They just didn't fully implement it? :l

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
That's bizarre. I didn't think shininess was recognized in Pokemon Stadium 1.

What I remember is that in Gen 2, certain IV values created shininess, so if a Pokemon was traded to Gen 1 and back to Gen 2, it would retain its shiny form. Perhaps this Nidoqueen has those IV values... could you trade her to GSC and check to see if she's shiny there?

Shininess isn't in Gen 1 because the original Game Boy didn't have colors on it, so it couldn't be displayed. They created shininess to showcase coloration on the GBC, I believe.

I see that Nidoqueen's shiny form is a darker green than this, though, so it is a possibility that changed? I can't tell.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
That's bizarre. I didn't think shininess was recognized in Pokemon Stadium 1.

What I remember is that in Gen 2, certain IV values created shininess, so if a Pokemon was traded to Gen 1 and back to Gen 2, it would retain its shiny form. Perhaps this Nidoqueen has those IV values... could you trade her to GSC and check to see if she's shiny there?

Shininess isn't in Gen 1 because the original Game Boy didn't have colors on it, so it couldn't be displayed. They created shininess to showcase coloration on the GBC, I believe.

I see that Nidoqueen's shiny form is a darker green than this, though, so it is a possibility that changed? I can't tell.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to trade to GSC.

But, some people over at romhack.me seem to believe that "nicknaming" pokemon and playing them on Stadium causes them to have different colors as an eatser egg.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to trade to GSC.

But, some people over at romhack.me seem to believe that "nicknaming" pokemon and playing them on Stadium causes them to have different colors as an eatser egg.

I used to play the original Pokemon Stadium with my Pokemon Blue in the transfer pack, and from what I can tell that's the way to do it, any pokemon with a nickname would have a different color, it wont be a big change as some of the shiny pokemon, but it definitely changed it.

I bet there is some information about it, you can try any source but I would go for a wiki, in fact I am going to check it out now.

Edit:

I cant assure you that it is absolutely right, but I found this:

In Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2, Pokémon with a nickname can be colored slightly differently, whether or not they are actually Shiny. [...]
In Stadium 2, there is an option while viewing the list to exclude any non-Shiny Pokémon from the listing (i.e. Group Color Pokémon/Cancel Color Pokémon). This will show Shininess, even if the player is currently viewing a Generation I cartridge in the Lab.

haha, I cant seem to be able to post links, but you can find it in Bulbapedia by searching Shiny Pokémon, just google it if you want to see it yourself for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back