• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen TMs and HMs

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Previous TM thread here

With every new generation the TM and HM list are added to, changed around, and sometimes even have things removed. Do you think they'll continue the trend of the 5th generation and just add to the current TM list, or do you think they will change it completely? Do you think any HMs will be removed/added again? Is there any moves that you would want added to either list?

I honestly like the TM list as it is, and if anything I'd love additions to it like Unova did. I think it was a great idea with the fresh start to have a new set of TMs starting from 51, and keeping the set from Generation 4. As HMs go, I'd love to see Cut get removed as an HM, as it's onlly actually useful during the beginning to mid-game most of the time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I don't think they'll change the whole TM list completely honestly. It would be too hard thinking of new replacements that didn't copy names etc. and it involves quite a bit of effort. I think Gamefreak will just continue the trend of keeping the current TMs and adding onto it, which I personally like. Also, I'd like to honestly see more Water TMs added, not HMs but TMs. The only one I can think of at the moment is Water Pulse and although it has a nice side-effect, honestly we need more powerful ones. :x

As for HMs, I really want them to get rid of Cut. One of the most awful and useless moves in existence, in the games I think you only need to use it once or twice and in battle, it isn't helpful at all. :B

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
They'll at least add more TMs because I do bet that there is going to be new moves. But, honestly, I don't think they'll change around the mechanics of TMs that much. They've probably released that they current TM system is very easy for us, since they're now all multi-use. As for HMs, I dunno, I think they should at least make them more hidden. Or, at least get rid of some of them, because, would a machine or compact disc be the only way to teach a pokemon that can surf naturally, like Lapras, or a pokemon who has been known for cutting and slashing, like Scyther who needs to know how to cut?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
TMs will be expanded for sure. There's literally no doubt in my mind that the number will increase. They'll probably replace a few TMs with other moves (as they have in the past) but I expect the general list to stay pretty much the same as last generation.

As for HMs, I hate them. I really honestly hate them more than anything. Essentially when planning out a team or just going through the game before you play you have to remember to cover each HM required to beat the game or just for convenience sake (like Fly). I find it ridiculous that pokemon like Wailord or Swellow need to learn Surf / Fly respectively before being able to actually do it. It didn't make much sense to me.

What I would like to see from HMs is this:
1. Keep them, but make them non-permanent. I don't understand why they were ever permanent in the first place.
2. Once you have the HM, you aren't required to teach it to a Pokemon in order for the Pokemon to be able to use it outside of battle. You just need the corresponding badge and the HM, and the Pokemon itself simply has to have the POTENTIAL of being able to learn the move (for example, say you have the Surf HM and its corresponding badge and you have a Swanna. It doesn't have to physically know Surf to be able to Surf outside of battle).
3. You can still teach it to your Pokemon because certain HMs are very useful in battle too (i.e. Surf / Waterfall).

I feel like it's an old mechanic that just needs to be dropped. It's just an inconvenience and I don't believe we'll ever have another HM Slave as good as Bibarel (and most people don't even want him in their team anyway).

I know Black and White took a step in the right direction making it so that the only REQUIRED HM as far as I was concerned was Cut. And you only had to use it once, so you could catch some Purrloin or something early (and extra one if you wanted), teach it Cut, and then forget about it later. They're almost there though and I'm hoping HMs are dropped almost entirely.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I don't think they'll change the whole TM list completely honestly. It would be too hard thinking of new replacements that didn't copy names etc. and it involves quite a bit of effort. I think Gamefreak will just continue the trend of keeping the current TMs and adding onto it, which I personally like. Also, I'd like to honestly see more Water TMs added, not HMs but TMs. The only one I can think of at the moment is Water Pulse and although it has a nice side-effect, honestly we need more powerful ones. :x

As for HMs, I really want them to get rid of Cut. One of the most awful and useless moves in existence, in the games I think you only need to use it once or twice and in battle, it isn't helpful at all. :B

Well there's Scald... It's one of the most used moves in the game.

The reason for not many Water TMs is simple: there are a lot of Water HMs. Two of them are very good (Surf and Waterfall).

I'd like a type change to Cut, make it Bug-type, maybe increase its power and accuracy a bit.

Now, as for my wish... Well, I think it can't be denied that the absolute best TM/HM list of all time was in 4th gen. 3rd gen fixed the absolute fiasco that was 2nd gen, and 4th just added more on top of it. In 5th gen they replaced a few moves with gimmicky and useless ones like Struggle Bug. Now with the 3DS and bigger memory I expect the TM/HM list to contain more than 100 moves, and it would be awesome to see some of the current move tutor techniques to be added as TMs, so that they can be passed down through breeding, but I guess they need some use for Shards...

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I hate HM's, you can't make your pokemon forget them, they are relatively useless in battle (apart from surf and waterfall), and you usually need an HM slave which takes up a slot in your team, HM's suck. But you know what I hate most about HM's? You need the move 'cut' to cut down a tree, but why can't I use X-Scissor to cut the tree? Or psycho cut? Or guillotine? I just don't understand.
Also, why can't birds fly without teaching it the move 'fly'? Shouldn't it be a natural thing for them to fly? The same thing goes for water types that need a special move just so they can do what they were born to do - swim, or in this case 'surf'.
HM's are just stupid, and I hate them. They should just be changed to TM's.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
They will probably not change the current list but just add to it in order to make up for new moves in gen 6.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Removing the HMs (or at least some) would be one of the greatest improvements ever to a pokemon game. I get how HMs are needed to make some areas only accessible in later parts of the games, but they could make them Key items, that way you dont always need a certain pokemon with a certain move in your party, just to cut down a stupid tree. I think this system would work better than HMs

As TMs go, im really satisfied with the list in B/W2, and i think it should stay that way, after adding some new TMs for new Gen VI attacks of course

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Saying it for the umpteenth time, get rid of the damn HM's. At worst, at least give them an HM slot on Pokemon and allow us to breath. Pokemon has never been and never will be a game that successfully utilizes the keys for keyholes progression that other games have.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want HMs to have little use through the game, much like what happened in Unova. It was really nice for HMs not to matter, and I'd like to see it again!

As for TMs, idm as long as Scald and Stealth Rock are included n_n

Years
^ Indeed, HMs are just annoying especially when they're super-mega lame such as Cut, even Tackle is more useful than Cut (same power and damage type, more PPs, more accuracy, easy to replace, ...)
I don't matter for HMs to be there as long as they are pretty useful such as Surf and Fly.
Regarding TMs, I personally find 100 TM more than enough. I am actually concerned about Move Tutors, I hope they will put PLEEEEEEEENTY of them as they did in B2/W2 and Platinium. :]

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I am actually concerned about Move Tutors, I hope they will put PLEEEEEEEENTY of them as they did in B2/W2 and Platinium. :]

You are right, i really did like how the tutor system worked in B/W2, they definitely should use a similar system in X/Y, but maybe with even more tutors and attacks!!

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I don't mind the TMs, but I do mind the HMs.
Cut and Rock smash are just horrible, they both need to be replaced, or just boost them.

Tackle

Pancham
Years
I agreed with Diversion, Cut and Rock Smash are bad, they should be replaced.
That would be great if there're new HM moves, such as Mud Shot for filling the hole.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
When gen 5 was introduced, you have no idea how happy I was when GF made TMs reusable, it's just the greatest thing eva!!! Although, it does lose some brownie points for no longer making stealth rock a TM, but still! REUSABLE TMs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I am actually concerned about Move Tutors, I hope they will put PLEEEEEEEENTY of them as they did in B2/W2 and Platinium. :]

You are right, i really did like how the tutor system worked in B/W2, they definitely should use a similar system in X/Y, but maybe with even more tutors and attacks!!

Move tutors don't appear until the second set of games (third's, remakes, or sequels). The main game sets never have them.

As for HMs...they are going to keep them so there is no point in whining. They may be useless to you but I and other do like them. They've had their reasons for making them non-deletable so you can't get locked in an area bu accident should you trade a Pokemon with an HM over instead of trying to find said HM on your own as there are usually optional HMs.

TM wise, I kinda hope they only change a handful of the ones we have currently. I'd prefer if they keep the highly competitive ones out. Keep those as Egg Moves until the Move tutors reappear in the next installments of the game.

I agreed with Diversion, Cut and Rock Smash are bad, they should be replaced.
That would be great if there're new HM moves, such as Mud Shot for filling the hole.

Rock Smash on a Pokemon with Serene Grace is severely OP. None of the HMs are incredibly useless. Only time they don't get a lot of support is when you don't have to use them. Practically all the HMs were useless in Gen 5 as you didn't have to use any of them more than once some you'd never have to use at all if you didn't want to do all the extra things. You can go the whole game without using Surf and Waterfall. They were useless by that regard. All they have to do is create more mandatory use of each HM. I can see a good number of attacks getting nerfed in power in Gen 6 since they got boosted in Gen 5. They do it a lot between generations and sometimes within the same gens. I rather hope they weaken some moves rather than increase others.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't mind the TMs, but I do mind the HMs.
Cut and Rock smash are just horrible, they both need to be replaced, or just boost them.

I don't think they'll get boosted much. ;( There's better as it is. Unless they extend Cut to like, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Slash, Leaf Blade and so on. :3 Those would thus perform the duties of cut!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
TM wise, I kinda hope they only change a handful of the ones we have currently. I'd prefer if they keep the highly competitive ones out. Keep those as Egg Moves until the Move tutors reappear in the next installments of the game.

This I would just like to see you expand upon. Any particular reason you would like them left out? Personally, leaving them out is just discouraging to a lot of people who battle competitively, and it makes it much more difficult to actually make a Pokémon viable. I can understand keeping some things out so that move tutors actually have a purpose (which I feel that has been done well in the past, it gives a lot of things new toys to play with), but I don't see a point of keeping some of the more powerful TMs out of the game just for the sake of doing it. I guess I can understand leaving some of them out because they probably don't have as much use in-game as they would competitively, but even then I'd love to see some of them included in the Gen 6 TM list.

Back