• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need some suggestions for OU gen5 team

Years
Hi guys!
If you don't already know(and you probably don't)I like making bizarre teams
to catch my opponents off guard with the unpredictable factor.
My original team had Thundurus in it instead off Reuniclus but as you probably know it go banned so I had to alter it :'( but never mind let's get to business:

I would really appreciate your suggestions/critics/alterations because I'm
currently testing and it's a pretty random win/loss ratio so again your critics
are more then welcome:):

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Naive, 252 Att/4 Spa/252 Spd
Regeneration

Fake Out
HJK
Stone Edge
HP Ice

Well,I like this lead and it usually gets a few kills but if I face a ghost
lead or Jirachi/Meta/Bronz I'm doomed..

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet, 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spa/0 Spd Iv's
Magic Guard

Trick Room
Focus Blast
Psychic
Shadow Ball

This guy is awesome buy any means,tremendous sweeper and I don't think
I'm going to change him any soon.

Bisharp @ Razor Claw
Adamant, 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spd
Inner Focus

SD
Iron Head
Sucker Punch
Aerial Ace

You probably ask why him?Well,I think he looks badass:p but I think I'm
not using him to his full potential,so he's somewhat a weak link in this team.

Jellicent @ Leftovers(Female)
Calm, HP 252/4 Spa/252 Spd
Water Absorb

Confuse Ray
Toxic
Surf
Hex

This Jellyfish is pretty impressive and an important member of the team
confuse ray is defiantly the key here as Hex was used for filler because
the opponent will with out a doubt get statused=more DMG.

Heatran @ Balloon
Modest, 4 HP/252 Spa/252 Spd
Flash Fire

Earth Power
Heat Wave
SR
HP Grass

This one is my personal favorite and was never left out of any previous teams!
This guy has countless uses from absorbing attacks to occasionally becoming a lead,AWESOME.

Well,here I ran out of ideas so I use a Skarmory now but it's defiantly the weakest link,
I have yet to find any use for it so I feel a change here is much needed.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Sturdy

Roost
Spikes
Aerial Ace
Toxic

Yeah pretty dull..

Changes:
Non yet.

Let the discussion begin;).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there! :D I just have a few quick comments.

Use Psyshock over Psychic on Reuniclus to help deal with things like Blissey.

Unfortunately, Bisharp is UU and outclassed by other Pokemon in the OU tier who are better equipped to serve your team. Try out a bulky Swords Dance Scizor instead (if you really want to keep Bisharp, however, use Psycho Cut over Aerial Ace to help with things like Conkeldurr).

Scizor @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Technician
252 HP / 40 Attack / 216 Special Defense
Adamant [+Attack; -Special Attack]
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Superpower
- Roost

As for Jellicent, I recommend a few small changes for that also.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Speed
Bold [+Defense; -Attack]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt

A Bold nature will boost Defense, it has enough Special Defense, so more often than not, you'll want to bulk up it's Defense instead. The EV spread is to help cushion the hits from Landorus and boost Speed a bit. Jellicent doesn't need to hit hard, so moves like Hex and Surf (while useful in some instances) don't take advantage of Jellicent's abilities and are usually lost on it. Will-O-Wisp compliments Scald nicely and benefits Jellicent's Special Defense, while Taunt disrupts any attempts to set up against you by the opponent. Recover is Jellicent's greatest friend, and will unconditionally assist you throughout the battle. Jellicent isn't Jellicent without Recover. :3

You're Heatran set looks fine, although I suggest using Fire Blast / Flamethrower over Heat Wave for either the reliability or sheer power.

Your Skarmory looks a little odd. Try it's text-book standard set instead.

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 HP / 232 Defense / 24 Speed
Impish [+Defense; -Special Attack]
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird / Taunt

So, that's all I got for now. Sorry for being so abrupt! If you have any questions, just ask! :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
i'd use Mienshao like this...

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly, 252 Att/4 Spa/252 Spd
Regeneration

Fake Out
HJK
Stone Edge

U-Turn

This way he can use fake out to inflict damage and take 10 % life orb damage
then either hi jump kick to finish it off and/or u-turn out before gaining all the HP back from the regeneration :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Bisharp needs something to hit Steel Pokemon; Aerial Ace doesn't accomplish much because a neutral STAB Iron Head does as much damage as a supereffective unSTABed Aerial Ace. Bisharp also needs Substitute to ease prediction. It also has little use of Speed EVs since it's relatively slow, unless you choose to use Rock Polish for some reason. Here's this set to show what I mean; it's best for OU and UU play; I think your current set is a variant of the Ubers Bisharp set:
-Swords Dance
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch
-Brick Break/Iron Head
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Defiant

Even though this Bisharp doesn't have a good way to deal with Fighting Pokemon, that's what Reuniclus is for.

Heatran is better off with Fire Blast over Heat Wave for more power.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I don't know why people run Fake Out on Mienshao. It does minimal damage, provides little to no momentum, and offers a free switch-in for Ghost-types and even some Steel-types like Scizor who threaten an OHKO after LO damage. Use U-turn / HJK / Stone Edge / HP Ice, or even HJK / Stone Edge / Sub / Baton Pass to shortpass Substitutes around.

Years
First of all thanks for the replies!

@Alexial357:
Changed the sets for Jelly and Skarmory,works pretty well,thx;).

@csa99 and @Vrai:
Changed to the suggested nature(jolly),put U-Turn instead of Fake out!
Can't see any threats other then the already mentioned PSY/STL types
which tend to be annoying(especially Jirachi).

@PlatinumDude:
Changed set for Bisharp,seems to work well has a hard time against steel types though.
Fire Blast instead of Heat Wave>confirmed:).

Well it's obvious that this team is somewhat weak against steel types,especially if Heatran has already been knocked out,so my question is
what would be a further good move to avoid these difficulties?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
It might be worth considering Magnezone > Bisharp, probably. It can trap and KO all Steel-types except umm Bronzong at high health, Lucario and Excadrill who just got banned.

467.png
@ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Charge Beam / Flash Cannon

Years
It might be worth considering Magnezone > Bisharp, probably. It can trap and KO all Steel-types except umm Bronzong at high health, Lucario and Excadrill who just got banned.

467.png
@ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Charge Beam / Flash Cannon
Thanks for the suggestion,tried him out,turned out to be better then
Bisharp at least:).
Now,I decided to go with Flash Cannon and HP Ice respectively,what
role does it exactly play if I choose the HP fire and Charge Beam instead?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thanks for the suggestion,tried him out,turned out to be better then
Bisharp at least:).
Now,I decided to go with Flash Cannon and HP Ice respectively,what
role does it exactly play if I choose the HP fire and Charge Beam instead?

Well, Hidden Power [Ice / Fire] (all of the attacks, really) should be used according to what your team has the most problems with. HP [Fire] helps Magnezone deal with common Steel types (Ferrothorn / Forretress / etc) that get trapped by Magnet Pull. HP [Ice] can assist your team by hitting Dragons for super effective damage. Charge Beam is an excellent, reliable STAB attack that has the added bonus of boosting Magnezone's stellar 130 base Special Attack 63% of the time. It also compliments Magnezone's resistances and Defenses nicely, especially in tandem with Substitute. Flash Cannon, on the other hand, is good if you want to play Magnezone more offensively, making Tyranitar and other threats much more wary on switching into it.

So, the choice is yours. Weigh the advantages/shortcomings of either attacks, test it out, adjust if necessary.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Charge Beam is most useful when you've trapped something that absolutely can't do anything to you (most notably Ferrothorn). You can stay in behind a sub and boost up, while it really can't do anything but try to spikestack. As long as you end up with Ferrothorn dead and you behind a sub, you're almost guaranteed to KO something else. I also like HP Fire / Flash Cannon and HP Ice / Charge Beam better in those pairs, honestly; Charge Beam lets you power through Ferrothorn with HP Ice and provides better coverage overall when you're sticking to two moves of the same type. HP Fire / Flash Cannon just allow you to hit more common targets in general, like OHKOing Ferrothorn and hitting Tyranitar pretty hard.

Back