• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen The New Professor Speculation

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The last thread of this died, so, I thought that I'd just make a new one before he/she/they are revealed at any point.

So, what would you say the professor in this region is going to be like? What would his or her name be? What sorts of things would you like this professor to research? What should his/her personality be like? Do you have any other thoughts or ideas? Feel free to share~

Sean

Years
First off I think it'll be female, I hope they continue it. I dunno, the idea of a female professor appeals to me way more because the professor comes off as the whole "so kind and loving" to pokemon. Plus females are badass.

Dunno what her name will be. The names get way more complicated every single gen.....

Will research something related to why theres so many species of pokemon and maybe that they interlink each other if theres new evolutions of old pokemon

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'll like for the proffesor to be female again, and to be called Acacia. This time I hope she has no assitance from her parent(s), I found it unnecessary to have two proffesors in one generation (not counting remakes).

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I believe that the new Professor will be a male, I don't know why I just have this massive feeling that it will, As for personality I would like to see a more aggressive professor, maybe one that used to be a criminal? Aka a Team Rocket member? or something in that ball park.

I do think that the name of the Professor will remain as the name of trees maybe something like Chaste? or Cherry? I have enjoyed having the Professors named as trees as it's just a small thing within a game that helps it be that little but more fun!

The one thing I would like to see though is more involvement from the professors usually they give you a pokedex and you see them once or twice for the rest of the game whereas I would rather see them appearing more often and seeing as they offered you an opportunity to travel they would want to see how you are progressing more often, also if they bring swarming into Gen 6 maybe they could add a phone where you get a call from the Professor saying "I need to see you at my lab" and when you arrive at the lab and talk to the Professor he says "There has been a pokemon outbreak on route whatever, wow isn't it fascinating that pokemon rare to a region can appear in large numbers".

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
I would like to see another female professor to balance out Professors Oak, Elm, Birch, and Rowan. I thought Professor Juniper had a good personality, but I would like to see a female professor who is a bit more serious this time. Not necessarily as serious as Rowan but also not quite as laid back as Juniper. As for the area of her research specialization, I would like her to focus on the exact genetic science that pertains to Pokemon speciation and evolution. That specialization would dovetail nicely with the names of the new generation: X and Y.

As Dark Leader Adam has mentioned, I would like the professor to be more involved with the main character and his or her journey. Game Freak did a nice job with Professor Juniper in this regard, but I would like to see an even more active role for the professor.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
The professor if female could have
Willow
Bellinda :meaning "bright serpent" or "bright linden tree." It could be great since it's the year of the Snake
Evette :Variant of Yvette in french meaning yew trees, it could go with the France theme and look a bit like Eevee)
Acacia
Holly
:English name derived from the name of the evergreen shrub or tree.)
Cassia: Latin form of Hebrew Qetsiyah, meaning "cassia," a bark similar to cinnamon.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Well... the new Professor is definitely going to have a name based off of a tree, that's for sure. :p

I have this theory that (s)he may specialize in researching the gender of differences between some Pokémon and why some of them don't have any. It's a nice way of correlating their research with the apparent theme of genetics X and Y may have.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Give me another male professor, but only this time make em young. I'll take female though if they give us something crazy like Bianca, I would love a continuity nod like that.

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
We already had four male Pokémon professors, from Generation I up to Generation IV, so having a female Pokémon professor again for X and Y is good enough, for a change at least.

And I also agree with the more involvement of the professor in the story of the game or in our journey. Professor Juniper is a good example; she's been involved in the issues of Unova, so the next professor should be the same too, but more.

Research? The new professor would probably research about the genetics of Pokémon, learning more about their genders and chromosomes. I suppose that would explain and answer the past questions regarding the different appearances of Pokémon in terms of gender, or the gender counterparts of Pokémon. Pokémon such as the Nidoran family or Gallade and Gardevoir would possibly be explained by the new professor.

Years
I've been waiting for a Prof. Willow since R/S/E, lol.
I'd say it'd probably be a female professor this time around.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Since everything pre-Unova was a male professor, I'm going to assume that we're going to have another female this time around, which I'm definitely not complaining about. It's good to get some more diversity in here!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I'm confident there'll be a new professor named after a tree again. :P

It's a continuous pattern so I wouldn't be surprised if it returns. As for the professor, I'm going to take a guess they'd be female seeing there's been so many male professors already. Personality wise, I'd say she is cheerful yet a bit serious and maybe wears glasses and the sleek, white lab coat? I sort of picture her like that in my head along with red, square glasses. As for her name maybe Professor Willow? It sounds fitting enough.

As for her research, I'm going to say she is like the rest of the professors. She aims to seek all of the new Pokemon in this region but she also sounds like a nature lover too perhaps. Maybe she'd have an extensive knowledge on things like berries, their usages etc.? And I'd also like the professor to get involved more within the story rather than popping up once or twice.

Years
I'm sorta speculating it'll be another female, since Unova started a new era of all things. The tree-naming theme will probably still continue, and if they do another male they should make him younger for a change.

As for a name, definitely Willow if it's female. It's such a perfect name!

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
The Professor's name speculation

Just for general ideas of what the professor's name might be in Pokémon X and Y, just to add that all the professors so far have been named after different types of tree (Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, etc).

Also before discussing I'd like to add that eventually Gamefreak will start running out of trees as they become less original-sounding meaning there is every reason to suggest that they may start using the names of different types of rock, for example - because I seriously doubt that they will come up with "Professor Monkeypuzzle" any time soon, that just sounds stupid.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Merged your discussion of the professor's name here.

Personally, I think there's still a lot of different trees out there that they can use without having it sound too "out there" before they decide on switching it up to something else.

Sirfetch’d

Well I assume that we will have another female professor for the same reason that Jake said because we have only had one before and it is nice to change it up some. As for the name idk, definitely based off of a tree but not sure what.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Willow or Holly, most likely. Like "Team Nova", these are just waiting to be used and they're ideal for a female professor. If he's a dude? Baobab. The baobab tree is a bit like Yggdrasil, in the fact that it's ENORMOUS.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
And we have Prof. Ivy that was on Orange Islands in anime that was I think the first female Prof. in pokemon. So the name can go on plant and not just tree, maybe they could go in the herbs too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it will be a male professor and I'll be happy with that.

I don't see why the professors would have to be male male male male female female female female etc....we have only had one female professor before but it was the most recent professor we've had. That should be taken into account.

Years
I'm hoping for a young, female prof, that happens to be friendly.
or a young, male prof that happens to be not so friendly. Most of the professors kinda' baby you throughout the game so I think having a stingy one that doesn't really like his/her job much might be kinda refreshing.

Back