• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tileset revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
-Hello my dear Pokemaniacs.
-I hope this is a proper section for post like this. Take a bit of a time to check every forum :P Anyway, as title says, I wanted to talk about tiles and their revamping. Currently I am trying to make maps using various editors but none of them helped much to me. Probably tiled map editor helped me the most but seems it's too soon for me to explore mapping world. I wanted to ask a help from you guys. I need someone to give me suggestions or tools available. I would be more happier to see certain artist taking the challenge. Right...to the point.

-I am trying to figure out how to deal with a bit odd tilesets, atm it is based on fire red graphic but I want to make it modern looking and smooth. I tried to do something with tiled map editor but only managed to make basics and yet they aren't so smooth. See below
Comparison Fire red tileset and custom made one: i.imgur . com/vpDp8Bi.pngHow do I want it to look like?
pastebin . com/xCvKvCu3 (links are inside just remopve the space before and after the dot.)

-Hope you get it, sorry for making such messed up post :P Anyway I really want to learn or if its possible to make contact with someone who can show me direction how to edit current tiles and make them look like those ones from image, especially exteroriour, caves, mountains, buildings and water parts. I will include the zip file of original tilesheets from fire red. Thanks :)
Pokemon fire red tilesheets: pastebin . com/ysMjksGB

P.s: This is my first post in a while, I had an account few years old, however my ISP got shotdown so I lost the mail and any access to it. Thanks. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Since your asking for help regarding spriting, I'll move your questions over to the Pixel Art section. Good luck!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
What you're asking for is quite interesting. No doubt this isn't the right place to ask (a moderator will tell you more about why, that's not my job) but I'll get a word in before this is closed. What you want is graphic help on how tiles mix together, and how to deal with them, right?

I can't help you with how to insert them because that's ROM Hacking. But you can experiment with the tiles of your choice and make a makeshift tileset, and slowly build on it. After you finished putting in some tiles of your liking, you can make a test map with them to see how they work out. If they don't look good together in the map, I'm afraid your choice hasn't the flavour. If you make maps and want them rated, then go over to this link. Make sure you read the rules of the first post, and state in particular you want the tiles rated. If you want help on how to insert them in, better look over in this link. Good luck!

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
Thanks again and I am sorry for posting in proper section. However, what I want would be probably pixel art. To make it more simple, I either want to edit existing image or make new ones having the same dimensions. I tried with gba roms but once gba tile is double sized it looks blurry, very blurry unlike when doing it in a MS paint. So far only tiled map editor did something I want, but it is really hard to work with it. Either edit existing .png image or make new one from the scratch. Thanks :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Well, since your question has been answered, I'll go ahead and close this since I was responsible for putting it here (guess I didn't read it correctly, whoops).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back