• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restarting Platinum, help with a team?

Chibi Buizel

Where the heck is the airport?
Years
So I was thinking I'd restart Platinum, because I felt unhappy with my last playthrough of it. I'm working on constructing a team, and while I don't yet have any movesets planned out as of yet, I do have most of the Pokemon set.

Pokemon I'm for sure using on my team
Torterra
Floatzel
Togekiss
Mamoswine

Pokemon I'm considering using
Scizor
Garchomp
Drapion
Gengar
Dusknoir

I'm on the fence as to which two Pokemon should fill the last spots in my team. Any ideas/opinions on the ones I picked out?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Sine this is an in-game team I'll suggest moves, but I won't go into natures/IVs/EVs unless you say to later ^^ You've chosen some of my favourite Pokemon btw, well done ;D

Torterra
Use it as a tank, go for an offensive move-set with some healing. I'd recommend Earthquake, Wood Hammer, Synthesis and Stone Edge/Leach Seed depending on your preference...

Floatzel
Really you have two choices here. You could take advantage of its ability with rain dance or you can bulk it up before attacking. Either way, its attacking moves should be Waterfall, Ice Punch and Return, then the 4th move should be either Rain Dance or Bulk Up depending on if you want it fast or strong ^^

Togekiss
LOVEE <3 Basically for Togekiss you'll want to run a bulky special set. Give it Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere and Air Slash for definite. Then Roost would be a good final move to finish this set to compliment Togekiss' natural bulk. Basically you'd power up till you're low on health, heal it with roost then go to town on them. ^^

Mamoswine
Another love of mine here. It's a strong physical attacker with bulk and speed, what could be better? Move wise, I'd suggest Earthquake, Ice Shard and Stone Edge. As far as the last move goes, I'd recommend Superpower, however this may be too hard to get to use in an in game team (especially since you get it post-league) so I'd suggest either Avalanche or Endeavor, depending on your fighting style.

For the last 2 Pokemon, my suggestion would be Scizor and Drapion. It'd be an interesting team that way, however Garchomp would make it very strong. It depends if you want an easy game or not, if you do then go for Scizor and Garchomp, if not go for Scizor and Drapion. ^^ Basically Scizor would run an offensive set (swords dance would help), Drapion would do the same but with worse coverage than Scizor (but it looks way cooler!) and Garchomp... Well, Garchomp just kills everything, I'm not sure you need advice on this one since it's so powerful haha. One thing I would say about your team is watch out for ice types, you seem to have a lot of weaknesses to them and not all that much to combat it :3 Candice and the area surrounding her could give you some trouble. Scizor's Bullet Punch would be a great counter for these.

Last edited:

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
I'd hate to add another Ice weakness to your team, but since it's in-game, you should have too many worries. From my experience, Garchomp is ridiculous in the right hands. I have one of my own, and he just owns after a Swords Dance. I'll post my set below. I think I'd use Gengar too. Scizor adds another fire weakness, all though Chomp adds the ice weakness. In which Torterra and Togekiss are both weak to ice, with Torterra being 4X weak, as well as Chomp.

I'm not sure if you EV train or not. You don't have to in-game, unless this team will be competitive in the future...

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Jolly nature
EV's: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Earthquake
Swords Dance

Good Gengar set:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid nature
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 HP

Shadow Ball
Thunder Bolt
Focus Blast
Explosion

Chibi Buizel

Where the heck is the airport?
Years
Alright, I ended up going with Technician Scizor and Garchomp. What would be some good movesets for the two.?

Minishcap

Fecaloma
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
Alright, I ended up going with Technician Scizor and Garchomp. What would be some good movesets for the two.?

Bullet Punch for Technician Scizor is obvious, the rest you can experiment as you like. My Scizor knows Bullet Punch, U-turn, Pursuit and Roost as I want to have it done quickly without Sword Dance plays (though Sword Dance is not to be ignored, it is very useful!).

Back