The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   ROM Hacking Hub (
-   -   How to Trade/Battle Pokemon over Wifi (FR/LG/R/S/E) (

DarkPrince304 July 1st, 2009 12:51 AM

How to Trade/Battle Pokemon over Wifi (FR/LG/R/S/E)
Hello there Guys
Its me DarkPrince
This is my very first Tutorial here on PokeCommunity
I don't know if anyone knows how to do it but in this Tutorial I will teach you how trade/battle wirelessly with each other using Emulators.

Things you will Need:
VBALink (Visual Boy Advance with Wireless Connectiviy)

A Pokemon Game ROM( I will use Fire Red)
Link:Google it

A Net Connection

A Fast Computer(Sometimes while trading/battling your emulator can become slow)

-Open VBALink
-Don't open the game
-Go to Options->Emulators->Save Type->Put a Tick on Flash 128k
-Go to Options->Emulators->Put a Tick on Pause when inactive window
-Then Go to Options->Link->Put a tick on Wireless Adapter
-Then ask your friend to do the same
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Network not Single Computer(Single Computer if you want to trade with yourself :P)
-Then Again go to Options->Link->Settings->Server->Press Start
-You will see an IP Address in a box(Don't close the box till you are connected)
-Tell your friend to go to Options->Link->Settings->Client->And erase the word "localhost"
-Tell your friend the IP Address you see and write the IP Address where "localhost" was written and press Connect
-Both of you will be connected then :D
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady
-Choose Trade Pokemon/Battle or whatever
-Happy Trading/Battling

And if you want to trade with yourself then(Fast Speed)
-Open 2 VBALinks
-Then Go to Options->Link->Settings->Tick on Single Computer
-Open a same ROM in both VBALinks
-Now put the Pokemon you want to trade on top of your party(I will put a Weak Pokemon like rattata in 1 VBALink and a Kadabra in other VBALink)
-Go to Pokemon Center and talk to the lady(those IP Stuff is not for single computer)
-Choose Trade Pokemon
-Both VBALink will be having same keys btw(just telling)
-Trade over your Kadabra to 1st VBALink and rattata to the other
-Then Kadabra will evolve into Alakazam
-Save your game with your Alakazam(Beware always use a weak Pokemon as my Rattata is lost forever XDD that's why i choose a weak pokemon)

You can use the same way to battle with yourself too XDD
So here's the way to get evolutions like Alakazam,Gengar,Machamp
It really works :D

I traded a Pokemon with my friend who lives in other country(It works)

Keith5920 July 5th, 2009 4:33 PM

I am trying to do this but it is taking a very long time to connect between the that normal?

EDIT: After waiting a long time, the "OK" was sent but then one of my VBAs got a communication error.

DarkPrince304 July 6th, 2009 12:46 AM

If you are using Single Computer the process will be fast
Listen first make one VBA do the Make Leader thing and then make the other one connect by choosing join group<---This correct order
Try closing VBALink then do it again
It won't be slow in a single computer

Sleepwalker July 6th, 2009 12:59 AM

Wow. This seems useful for completing my pokedex. And it works! Good job!

Keith5920 July 6th, 2009 5:24 PM

I got it to work now. It was because I didnt uncheck the pause when inactive option. Thanks man!

derozio July 8th, 2009 9:38 PM

I didn't knew that Vba has wi-fi capabilities! I'll try it as soon as I finish my platinum game. Thank you very much!

DarkPrince304 July 9th, 2009 12:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys
If you have any queries just ask ;)

Matteron (96) July 13th, 2009 10:05 AM

This could be useful for people don't have to change the trade evos

DarkPrince304 July 14th, 2009 5:33 AM

And one more thing that you don't have to reach the edited evolution level so you can evolve a kadabra for example as soon it becomes a kadabra from an abra :D lol

phxeli August 7th, 2009 5:53 PM

Anybody wanna mix records and/or trade/battle

Outbreak August 7th, 2009 10:36 PM

It doesn't working for me(single computer)...i followed the instructions step by step but it gives me a comunications error at the emulator. pls help:(

DarkPrince304 August 9th, 2009 1:23 AM

Are you sure you unticked Pause When Inactive Window

Outbreak August 9th, 2009 4:12 AM

It works now thanks...

SiegHart August 10th, 2009 9:09 PM

hm i might try this, im currently using tgp but i prefer vba by far, thanks for this tut ^_^

jadored August 15th, 2009 3:20 PM

This was very helpful.
I knew you could trade with yourself but I didn't think you could trade with other people.

tuliazo August 15th, 2009 10:35 PM

Sounds great, unfortunately i'm not playing pokemon on my computer right now

Redrup August 31st, 2009 9:06 AM

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's my first query on this forum!

Anyway, what I am wondering is, I tried to trade with myself using Leaf Green and Emerald versions, to trade my Bulbasaur from Leaf Green > Emerald, however despite the connection working, it said they are not accepting trades from far away regions just yet.

Any idea why this is occurring? Is it because I have only just started on both games, and therefore haven't got the National Pokedex unlocked?

Let me know if you think you have an answer. Thanks in advance guys.

DarkPrince304 September 3rd, 2009 6:21 AM

^ That is not a problem
There's a quest in Leaf Green in Sevii Islands...You have to bring the Ruby and Sapphire stones to Celia(Bill's Bro.)...That will allow you to trade with R/S/E

Redrup September 3rd, 2009 6:40 AM

Thank you very much for the info, DarkPrince. :)

Much obliged.

Ninetales September 15th, 2009 4:34 PM

*sigh* Too bad this doesn't work with DPPt... currently the only way I can get Alakazam and other trade Pokemon there is by using Pokesav, and even then it doesn't do that quite right.

LittleMissC October 2nd, 2009 7:47 AM

The first few tries it didnt work.
Then I clicked something, which was so stupid of me not to take down and it suddenly worked!
Then when I tried it again it didn't want to work again :((

BTW. Would this still work if I used 2 different ROMs? Like Sapphire to Emerald?

tintin_92 October 2nd, 2009 8:15 AM

Nah, never worked for me over the internet, just using one computer, and using local lan. Here's ANOTHER advantage of it: cloning! Make a VBA save (not an in-game save), trade over a good pokemon for a useless one, and restore the original save file!

Pryce G October 10th, 2009 10:11 PM

Every time i enter the Union Room or choose Join Group, it always resets for no reason and it keeps happening all the time. Can you help me out DarkPrince?

mervyn797 October 14th, 2009 5:15 AM

id rather use no$gba
i donno i keep getting a disconnection error during battles :/

PokeForce October 28th, 2009 5:09 AM

I went to Options and I couldn't find the Link menu.