The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   Fifth Generation (

shinysweety August 24th, 2011 4:56 AM

I started of by always saying isshu, isshu, isshu and then UNOVA came along and now everything is Unova, i like both of them but i prefer Isshu cause it sounds like tissue and its more fun than Unova, what about you?

The Corrupt Plague August 24th, 2011 5:25 AM

I like both names just fine. I'll admit that I didn't like Unova at first but then it kind of grew on me as I was playing.

Guy August 24th, 2011 5:48 AM

At first, being so used to calling the region Isshu, I sort of fell off the edge so-to-speak when I heard the English name would be Unova. Then there was the matter on how to pronounce Unova, because while some say it like "You-No-Vah" the anime and commercials pronounced it as "You-Nuh-Vah". I eventually got used to it though, and now, referring to the region as Isshu aloud just sounds weird.

Get Weird August 24th, 2011 5:59 AM

I didn't like saying Isshu. \; It just didn't sound right. idk ;o; I prefer Unova, a lot more than Isshu. When the name was first announced and I hadn't heard it said yet; I heard all the horrible sayings people said it sounded like. That put me off. ;-; Until someone finally said it was pronounced how it sounded.

Satoshi Ookami August 24th, 2011 6:15 AM

I like Isshu. Unova sounds pretty bad... :/
Isshu sounds more natural... Unova sounds like demaked Utopia or something...

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~ August 24th, 2011 8:56 AM

WHen I first heard of Unova I was like I can't stand the name because I was so use to hearing the name Isshu. But after hearing Unova over and over again, I like the name of it and prefer Unova over its original name.

Yoshikko August 24th, 2011 9:21 AM

I like Isshu better. Unova just sounds awkward to me, just like Nimbasa. Isshu is fast and easy to pronounce, and it is very catchy.

Amore August 24th, 2011 9:51 AM

Isshu sounds like somebody sneezing. Pronouncing Unova like how they do in the anime, rather than how I naturally pronounce it, makes it much better.

Superjub August 24th, 2011 11:38 AM

Tbh, I don't really care, mainly because Unova isn't that bad of a name in my opinion. Had it been something ridiculous, then sure, I'd be annoyed, but its grown on me, and I just naturally call it Unova now. As for pronunciation, I just pronounce it how I feel it should be pronounced. XD I don't really talk to people about Pokemon in real life (well, not much anyway) so yeah. :P

cazzler August 24th, 2011 12:37 PM

I like the name Unova more than Isshu, I don't even like the name Isshu. Thats just my opinion anyway.

Kevin August 24th, 2011 12:45 PM

I like the name Unova. It sounds pretty unique.

Plus Isshu sounds like issue, so... yeah. I never really liked that name. O:

Shining Raichu August 24th, 2011 3:51 PM

The Isshu region did sound a little weird to me. I much prefer Unova as a name, and was really glad when they switched.

Reshiram Man August 24th, 2011 6:40 PM

I mainly am neutral, but I like Unova a little more.

2Cool4Mewtwo August 24th, 2011 7:43 PM

Isshu sounds really weird... Kinda feels like saying "issue" and I never grew into it.

Unova sounds much better to me.

Pyrax August 24th, 2011 11:12 PM

Well...'Unova' is a much better name than 'Alleos', which was Unova's apparent name in the UK before B/W were released.

Forever August 24th, 2011 11:34 PM

I love Isshu. I love Unova. Either suits the name of the region really. If I had to pick, yeah I'd go back to Isshu simply for the nostalgia.

Used to really hate Unova btw, much like the others :x

PlatinumDude August 25th, 2011 12:39 AM

I didn't like Isshu's transfer to Unova, but I eventually warmed up to the change.

Twiggy August 25th, 2011 3:37 AM

Unova? Isshu? To me, there's no real difference - just different names. This time, they just went and chose the translation-localisation route instead of just transliterating it - there's a meaning to it, and they want to get the meaning across in all languages, hence the name switch.

johnny18 August 25th, 2011 5:50 AM

Even though I pick Isshu over Unova, I think it does not really matter. It is just one region that is called by two different names by two different countries.

CureYoshiDarkness August 25th, 2011 9:05 AM

I prefer both names. Both names are fine by me.

oocyst August 25th, 2011 9:08 AM

I don't like the sound of the name Isshu, but other than that I don't really mind either name for the region.

BlooMilk C. August 25th, 2011 10:01 PM

I like both, really. I liked the region when it was called Isshu, and I got pretty used to it until the region's name was localized as Unova in other regions, and I didn't like it at first, but I eventually got used to it, and I like it now, much like the other people in this thread. If I had to choose, though, I'd choose Isshu just for nostalgia like Nica, lol.

Sverige August 26th, 2011 7:42 AM

Not unova isshu with the name! :p

double trouble! August 26th, 2011 7:46 AM

I prefer Isshu, and I'm more used to it.
I've stuck with it, even after the English games came out.

Pokemon Trainer Touko August 26th, 2011 8:02 AM

I used to call it Isshu because I got used to it but now I got used to calling it Unova so..! xD;