Fic of the Month: September '11 Nominations
A new month, a new nominations thread! Let's hope for more nominations than last month! Not much changes from last month's bar the whole 'you can nominate via PM' deal.
Here's How It Works
Basically, nominate a fic that has been updated this month (be it a chaptered or one-shot story). Obviously, none of your nominations can be one of your own fics. Feel free to give reasons for your nomination but that isn't required to make one. You can nominate in this thread, or PM myself or Astinus if you prefer.
Yes, you can nominate something that someone else has already nominated, although to be most effective, you'll generally want to avoid seconding/thirding/whatevering. As in, while we don't really care at this point if you do nominate something someone's covered, we'd prefer it if you didn't, really.
Nominations will generally last for up to two weeks. In the remaining time that month, we'll gather all the fics that you chose and create a new thread for voting. You'll get one vote, but all of the votes will be anonymous (so don't be shy about your decision). Once that time is up, we'll take a peek at which fic got the most votes. Whoever does will be crowned the Fic of the Month, and the rest of you get pats on the back. If there's a tie, it'll be up to the mods of this section (bobandbill and Astinus) to cast the deciding vote.
To clear things up, not everything that gets posted within a month is eligible for being nominated. Here's the requirements to get on the list:
1. Because this is Fic of the Month, only fics updated within a one-month period are eligible. As in, they need to have posted a chapter (or the entire fic needs to have been posted, in the case of one-shots) on the forums any time between the first of the month to the last day of the month in order to qualify on the most basic level. Announcements, reviews, and review responses do not qualify a thread for nomination if the last chapter was not posted within the same month. We'll be checking to see if this is the case with any nominations just in case.
In this case, because we're nominating fics for the month of September, only fics with chapters posted between September 1 and September 30 qualify.
2. SWC fics (i.e., fics written for a writing contest hosted by PC) are not eligible. This is because they already receive attention from said contest, so it's rather missing the point of the Fic of the Month competition.
3. Because this is Fic of the Month, poetry is not eligible. That has its own nominations however within the Poetry subsection!
4. The thread must not have been closed for any reason. Yes, kids, breaking forum rules automatically gets your fic booted from the running. Sorry.
5. Fics that have already won Fic of the Month are also not eligible unless this is a completely new version. For example, let's say IanDonyer's Volkner's Tale had won Fic of the Month in its original version. The new version is still eligible because it's technically a different story. However, if Dagzar's Mentor wins Fic of the Month this time around, it's not eligible for further nominations, even if Dagzar adds new material to it. This is just to be fair and allow multiple fics to have the chance at getting on the rec list.
6. You must post your fic on PC to qualify. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure not that many people would like to download and open a PDF or DOC in order to decide whether or not they'd like to nominate you.
What's In It For Me?: Perks of Being Fic of the Month
If nominated, winners for Fic of the Month will receive the honor of having their fic listed on a stickied archive thread for posterity. (Note: This thread will not be up until after we get something to put in it.) That means more attention can be directed towards your fic, and you get to walk away with bragging rights.
There may be other perks in development as well.
- Congratulations go out to Cutlerine for winning last month's competition!
- Although I too am crazy, I do not have enough time to post a list of who has updated their fic last month. Sorry, guys.
The system is still in development, so if you can think of any ways to improve this, feel free to shout it out.
In the meantime, nominations for September's Fic of the Month will run from now until October 15, and voting will be held until November 1.
I wanted a list. :(
I'm gonna nominate The Second War by IanDonyer. Yes, it's the only fic that I've read that was updated in September, but...details. Still, it's a good novelization of a classic game, with the standard Ian-style of writing.
Under the Same Sky by Draco Malfoy.
Eh, I just found it nice to read? Good characterization, establishes a nice connection with the actual game, still leaves room for mystery.
|All times are UTC -8. The time now is 3:42 PM.|
© 2002 - 2015 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.
Use of PokéCommunity Assets