The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   Color & Metal Generations (
-   -   RedBlueYellow What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow? (

Pokemon Trainer R3d May 27th, 2012 6:14 PM

What did you name your character and rival in Pokemon Yellow?
Well I just got the game yesterday, and I named myself Ash and my rival Gary, because it loosely follows the anime.

LadyFaust May 27th, 2012 6:19 PM

I can't remember what I named my actual character, think I may have called him Pete or something. As for my rival...It's probably too rude to post here x) I'm one of those highly immature players who likes to give my rival some pretty messed up names :P

Brendino May 27th, 2012 11:32 PM

I never had Yellow myself, but I remember that when I borrowed my cousin's for a few weeks, he had named himself Ash and his rival Gary, too.

Edward Elric May 28th, 2012 7:44 AM

Ash and Gary just like you. I named myself Ash and rival Gary for Red and Blue also.

Yoshikko May 28th, 2012 10:20 AM

I was way too young to understand any of that, so I think I called myself AAAAA lmao and rival idk, the same?!? XD Was wayyy too long ago to remember hahaha.

Ephemeral Euphoria May 28th, 2012 10:25 AM

I called myself Sora back then when playing Yellow, named my rival Brett as well. I was pretty young myself at the time but I happened to like the name Sora an awful lot so I decided to apply that to my character for the hell of it.

DanTheBib May 28th, 2012 12:41 PM

I called my character Dan (my name) and called my rival Robbie (the name of my best friend at the time).

Since then I nearly always use Red as my name, and whatever I think of as the "rival" character.

Mr Cat Dog May 28th, 2012 1:13 PM

I assume it was Ash and Gary as Yellow came out at the time when I actually watched and cared deeply about the anime. Also, my wonderful originality and sparkling wit weren't as entrenched in 10-year-old me as they are now. Also, I'm really lazy. :D

electro12 May 28th, 2012 4:15 PM

I cannot remember what I named myself or my rival. But I remember playing this game, up to the point of getting Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. It has been ten years, so my memory is fuzzy. One thing is certain, my Pikachu became delighted. He was very moody in Pallet Town, remember?

Aurielle May 28th, 2012 5:54 PM

Probably Ash and Gary. I deleted it later and started over, but the cartridge doesn't work anymore, so.

The Fallen May 28th, 2012 10:39 PM

I was typical I feel. I just named the main character my name and my rival one of my siblings or Ash/Gary. I'm sure I would and could come up with better adversary names now, but in the mind of a ten-year-old your siblings name or Ash/Gary is pretty good.

blackmorale May 29th, 2012 4:21 AM

I followed the anime, naming my character Ash and my rival Gary. I remember thinking "Who the heck names their kid Red or Blue?"

Tru Eagle June 1st, 2012 2:31 PM

Tru, and Roy. Easy names haha.

Zephele June 1st, 2012 2:42 PM

My brother had the names Ash and Gary on his Yellow, if I recall correctly.
We were fans of the show at the time, and I suppose the idea of naming them something ohter than their 'official' names was beyond us at the time.

The one time I went back to replay Yellow relatively recently, I also used Ash/Gary. Though I think that time it was just laziness, haha.

Teddy-Pain June 3rd, 2012 7:05 PM

I named myself Gary and my rival Ash.
I thought it would be funny and maybe it would destroy the universe, but sadly the universe is still here. I will try dividing by 0 next time.

Jacinth June 3rd, 2012 7:08 PM

I hated the fact that I had to play as a male character, so I named myself Disguisr. (It didn't fit all the way, if I recall) I named my rival Gary, since I was a big fan of the anime back then. Not so much now, though.

Ludger June 4th, 2012 9:20 AM

My name is Jackson in Yellow. I can't remember what I named my rival, but it was probably Kiss me because at the beginning of the game, if you name him that it's like "Kiss me: Gramps, I'm tired of waiting!" or something lol. Immature, but much more clever than Ass or Dick or something.

Mentalii June 4th, 2012 9:46 AM

First, I named my character Laura, my real name. Then, I realized that the character was a boy and didn't look like a girl at all, although I wad trying to convince me of that, so I made a new game.
In this one, I called my character Sacha and my rival Régis... Because I was 5 years old, and had no idea of which name to choose so I chose the french animes names of Ash and Gary. Not very original, unfortunately.

TheFinalBrandon June 4th, 2012 6:36 PM

I first played Yellow about 3 years ago. I think I named him Hairgel because his hair was extremely spiky. I named myself Brandon, naturally.

Max210 June 8th, 2012 7:25 PM

Well, I got my Yellow back in 1999, so I named them Ash and Gary of course. I was like 4 or 5 years old.

Treecko June 8th, 2012 9:18 PM

Ash and Gary. When I was younger, I would always name my characters that and occasionally I would name my trainer my name.

.:CoralSoda:. June 9th, 2012 12:07 PM

I think I named them Ash and Gary as well. I didn't know what else to call them :I.

Altairis June 9th, 2012 10:32 PM

I called myself Ash and my rival ??? because I didn't know what else to do, lol.

T!M June 13th, 2012 5:07 AM

I named Red; Tim after myself as I like to involve myself in the story and I named Gary; Ben.

Ben being chosen because I use to play Hearts on my computer all the time before I had the internet. And Ben, the AI player always to the immediate right of me, kicked my arse... consistently.

NightmareCore June 13th, 2012 5:10 AM

Ash and Gary if i'm right. man those were the days <3