The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   Pokémon Polls (
-   -   Favorite Starter Bird (

Atomic Pirate August 21st, 2012 11:50 AM

Favorite Starter Bird
Every Pokemon game has it's starter bird. It's been a long-standing tradition in the franchise to have a Normal/Flying type Pokemon available early in the game. So, what's your favorite?

Personally, I like Staraptor the best. While I don't really like Generation IV very much, it sure gave us a helluva bird!

pleryt16 August 21st, 2012 3:16 PM

I voted for Staraptor, even though I wanted to vote for Fearow. I always thought of Fearow being the best. I think it should be included here because its available on the second route in RBY/FRLG

Snowdrop August 21st, 2012 3:50 PM

I voted for Swellow. Never actually played through R/S/E but I like the design the most, and I have used it in battle elsewhere. It's a pretty cool bird.

TheLeetCasualGamer August 21st, 2012 4:40 PM

Hoothoot for me

I think it's the most unique because it's an owl and also have a more diverse move-pool then just being an average attacker :3

Resolution August 21st, 2012 4:52 PM

Pidgey, first and original. I like it for it's excellent moveset, and I generally like it's design the most. And it's an eagle...eagles are cool, man.

Haddez August 21st, 2012 5:41 PM

Surprised how little people voted for Pidgey!
Easily my favourite.
Pigeot is an amazing Pokemon in my eyes, The only flying Pokemon I like better is Braviary.

Also Ash had one, I cried when it left.

Pokemon Trainer UV August 21st, 2012 5:49 PM

This little birdy gets really useful moves like Quick Attack, Focus Energy, Peck/Wing Attack, and some fourth thing.
Then it eventually evolves into Swellow, and Swellow itself is really cool looking.

Brendino August 21st, 2012 8:26 PM

I voted for Pidgeot. Basically any game where you can find Pidgey, one has become a main member of my team. Aside from Pidgeot, the only other one I've even used is Staraptor.

Hikamaru August 21st, 2012 8:32 PM

I voted for the Starly line cos I use one in all my playthroughs of the Sinnoh games and Staraptor learns Close Combat, which makes it cool.

It's definitely my staple Flying-type in all my 4th Gen teams.

Mentalii August 22nd, 2012 7:20 AM

My vote goes for HootHoot. 2nd generation nostalgia remains... I guess it's one of the weakest though, I used it in my Soul Silver game and it didn't help a lot. However I had good memories of it from my Silver version... Well, it must be because I was too young to really understand who was strong and who wasn't :P

Talli August 22nd, 2012 7:27 AM

Easily my vote goes to Taillow as it is the only one I actually used in my game play through.

Satoshi Ookami August 22nd, 2012 7:39 AM

Starly-line. Similar to poster above, it's the only "bird" (because as we all know, bird is a glitch type :P) I've ever used.

Inferna August 22nd, 2012 7:56 AM

Voted for Pidgey line :3
I love how Pidgeotto and Pidgeot look. I had a Pidgeot called Anna when I played through Gold, they may suck competitively but I think they're awesome~
Swellow and Taillow come a close second though.

venomjack August 22nd, 2012 11:06 AM

I would have to go with the pidove line. I found myself using the pidove I started with even now. Funny thing is before I gave fifth gen pokemon a chance Pidove was my least favorite.

ShinyJohtomaster August 22nd, 2012 11:09 AM

I voted for Staraptor. I don't know who I like more- Pidgeot or Staraptor.

υ Shivam August 22nd, 2012 7:58 PM

I vote for staraptor.
It's really cool

Poke Fox August 22nd, 2012 10:39 PM

Voted! For Taillow that is, its the only bird Pokemon I actually used for the longest time, I keep it as a HM fly, when ever I need to fly from one part of the map to another.

pleb August 23rd, 2012 1:14 AM

In order favorite to least favorite: Starly > Tailow > Pidgey > Pidove > Hoothoot

NixChill August 23rd, 2012 6:07 PM

pidgey's line for me. because its the original bird starter because and pidgeotto is awesome

Twilight Sky August 26th, 2012 3:38 PM

From a competitive standpoint: Staraptor is just freaking awesome. @_@; Brave Birds hurts. A lot.

Cassino August 27th, 2012 3:29 PM

I like to use Spearow/Fearow most in the same manner as one. It can be gotten early in the first generation, so it is something of a starter bird if Hoothoot/Noctowl can be. The fifth generation brings a Drill Peck/Run combo to Fearow which I'm very keen on.

If Spearow won't be counted, then the classic Pidgey line is charmingly retro and surprisingly tough.

Cosmotone8 September 7th, 2012 11:54 AM

I picked Starly because I loved Staraptor. I caught one on route one and used it till the end of the game.

xxReshiramxx September 7th, 2012 12:18 PM

I voted for the Pidgey line I found that line really helped methroughout my journey more then I felt the others did.

Mistyb89 September 7th, 2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalii (Post 7310996)
My vote goes for HootHoot. 2nd generation nostalgia remains... I guess it's one of the weakest though, I used it in my Soul Silver game and it didn't help a lot. However I had good memories of it from my Silver version... Well, it must be because I was too young to really understand who was strong and who wasn't :P

I voted for HootHoot for the exact same reason, nostalgia. although I've never owned any of the Johto Remakes, I will indeed get one in the future and I will definitely make sure I get a HootHoot first thing. Move wise, I would have to say that Pidgey was my favorite because I love Pidgeotto and Pidgiot, they are so strong!

Katamari September 7th, 2012 1:06 PM

Swellow was an absolute boss in RSE. Even Taillow destroyed everything in the beginning of the game.