*!Pokemon Cycle Challenge!*
!WELCOME TO THE TYPE CYCLE! !CHALLENGE!
: OVERVIEW :
What is the Type Cycle Challenge?
One of the key concepts in Pokémon is that every type has at least one weakness. To keep these weaknesses in check, a player will commonly try to catch pokémon of different types. I thought it would be interesting if one were to play through the game with a set of pokemon whose weaknesses are found in other members of the team. In short, one pokémon on your team is weak to another, which in turn is weak to another. The way that weaknesses can continuously affect each other, as in a cycle, is the concept behind this challenge.
The challenge is to play through the game with a set of pokémon who are strong against each other, although this isn't 100% true. For example, one type cycle has Fighting, Dark, and Ghost. Fighting is super-effective against Dark, which is super-effective against Ghost, but how does Ghost play into Fighting? Well, Fighting has no effect against Ghost, so it's similar to being super-effective in a reverse sort of way. To avoid things being too complicated, I stuck to only doing sets of three types. This way, you can play through the game with just three pokémon, or with six, two of each type. I will refer to these as Moderate Difficulty (6 Pokémon) and Experienced Difficulty (3 Pokémon). You can find a list of the type cycles below. Feel free to tell me if I missed any of them!
I realise that Dragon and Normal Types are not included and this is because they have a small list of strengths and weaknesses. As well, there are many pokemon who have these as subtypes, so there's no need to worry. ^_^
Gotta follow 'em all! Okay, maybe not ALL of them...
-All pokémon on your team must have one of the types you picked. It's not against the rules if it doesn't have that type at the start, so long as they have it in a later evolution.
-However, you MUST evolve them as soon as possible.
-In light of recent events, if you come across a shiny and catch it, you may replace one of the pokemon on your team with it. I wouldn't want to be cruel and prevent you from putting a shiny into the Hall of Fame!
-Until you can get a pokemon assigned to you, you may use your starter.
-You cannot use Legendaries
-ROMs are allowed
-NFE (Not Fully Evolved) pokémon are optional.
-If you have no pokémon that appear before the third Gym Leader, you may hack in ONE LOW LEVEL pokémon of one of your types.
-Some Cycles do not have pokémon that can learn certain HM's, so I am allowing 2 HM Slaves on your team at a time, but you cannot use them in battle.
-If all your other pokémon faint, you must head back to the nearest Pokémon Center to revive them. If you're in a trainer battle, you'll basically have to let your opponent kill off your slaves.
-Regarding your teams, I will pick them so that you don't have completely dominating pokémon that can sweep through the game with few to no problems.
-Other than that, just have fun!
When is your challenge over?
Because all the games are different, each challenge ends at different places:
R/B/Y/F R/L G
This challenge ends when you defeat your Rival, who has become the Champion
This challenge ends when you defeat Red on Mt. Silver
This challenge ends when you defeat Steven, whether in Ruby and Sapphire or in Emerald
This challenge ends with the defeat of Cynthia in all games
This challenge is over when you defeat Alder
B 2/W 2
This challenge is over when you defeat Alder as well
^CHALLENGERS, CHAMPIONS, & SIGN-UP FORM^
Here's the sign-up form
Challenge: Single or Ultimate
Difficulty: Moderate or Experienced
EDIT: I have added trade-ability to the Sign-up form so I can know if you can trade to evolve pokemon.
This is my sign-up
Banners and Userbars
My team will be:
Wish me luck! ^_^
Hello! I think this would be a pretty cool challenge to do and would like to join!
Cycle: Flying->Rock->Water->Electric->Ground->Grass (6 pokemon, if you're ok with that)
I'm currently doing other challenges so I might start this one late, sorry '^.^
EDIT: I would also like to know if we could use the Fast Forward button on VisualBoyAdvance to speed through certain parts, if that is okay with you?
Game(s): Leaf Green
I did say that that the challenge was to play through the game with one of the cycles. If you absolutely must then I will accept. The reason I stuck with three type cycles was to keep the balance of them. In your cycle, grass, water, and ground are effective against rock, rock and electric are strong against flying, but flying is only strong against grass. It's unbalanced
EDIT: I am okay with you using the speed function on an emulator! C:
Your team will be....
Good luck against Brock! Lol
Well...can't catch Nidoran till after brock sooo <.<
Cycle: Water -> Electric -> Ground
@LeonKnight: I thought you could find them on Route 3. Their rare, but their there!
@PsychoJigglypuff: Cool. Here's your team-
Go for it!
Yea Route 3 is after Pewter city, and can't get to it cause of that one douchebag that keeps taking u to the gym xD
Oh right. Derp. I always think Route 3 is the one that's next to Viridian City, with the optional rival battle.
Game: Red (to start)
@joshbl56: Of Course You Can! ^_^
Here you go!
@CanadianBaconX: For you I think....
Best of luck to the both of you!
Scyther or Fearow, picture shows bird but the words say bugman :D
Oh, yeah. Srry. You can take your pick. I actually chose Fearow so that you can have a pokemon before 2nd Gym, but it's your call. I mean, you can get Mankey right after beating Misty, but whatever. :/
Cycle: Water Ground Electric
Game(s): Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black²
Okay, Collutorium. I'll just start you off with your blue team
There you go! You're all set!
EDIT: You can get Raichu if you want. I don't know why I said Pikachu...Umm....yeah...
HA I also just realized I have to wait till Fuschia city to get my last two party pokemon. Can't get Jynx untill traded for Poliwhirl, and surf is from the Warden xD...
EDIT: Update #1
1. Picked Starter to last me untill I could get Nidoran, so I choose squirtle, and defeated Rival
2. Did all events leading up until Pewter City, where I confronted Brock and easily swept the team earning me the Boulder Badge
3. Finally Caught my first Team member Nidoran, and headed back defeating trainers I missed and training him up.
4. Nidoran evolved at lvl 20, I waited until an early Horn attack, into Nidorino. Which I immeditately evolved into Nidoking.
5. Finished up with Mt. Moon and headed to Cerulean city
6. Beat Rival at the Nugget bridge, along with all trainers and went and saw Bill
7. Headed back into Cerulean City, and destroyed Misty with Nidoking, earning me the Cascade Badge, and saved at Poke Center
Liege, the Nidoking Lv. 29
(would've got a better nature, but 1% chance to get a Nidoran(m) in LeafGreen)
Well, there you go! TWENTY EIGHT! TWENTY EIGHT FREAKIN' USERBARS! Take your pick. Geez, that was a lot of uploading and typing and retyping and coloring and shading....Ugh...
FiRFl Cycle Challenge: Pokemon Red Update #1
- Chose Charmander as my starter since Blastoise should lead to the most challenge for my party. Named him Box (Cause that's where he'll be living).
- Went to the Viridian Forest and burnt it... With fire.
- Challenged Brock, Charmander uses Ember, gets a BRN, Brock uses a Full Heal ON THE SAME TURN!!? CHEATER!
- Finished off Brock and moved onto Route 3 and caught me my first team member Torin the Spearow.
- Went back to Viridian Forest and fed Torin filled with Caterpies and Weedles.
- Arrived in Cerulean, punched my rival in the mouth, won a gold nugget and a trip on some boat.
- Torin evolved into Fearow.
- Even tough Route 5 was open, I got the Cascade badge first.
- Went to Route 5 and caught Ki the Mankey.
- Used the Dig TM on Ki, allowing him to clean out Route 11, S.S. Anne and Lt. Surge's whole gym.
- Ki also Evolved into Primeape on the S.S. Anne. I also used Bodyslam and Thunderbolt TMs on him.
- Saved at the entrance of the Rock Tunnel.
Torin the Fearow (31)
Atk: 75/Def: 58/Spe: 84/SP: 52
Ki the Primeape (32)
Atk: 80/Def: 54/Spe: 79/SP: 59
Pokemon Fire Red Cylce Challenge GGrP Update #1
-Got scolded by Senile Old Man
-Got Pokedex and Old Man's Balls
-Fought through Viridian Forest
-Broke Brock and obtained BOULDERBADGE and Rock Tomb
-Got to Mt. Moon
-Caught Alucard the Zubat! and on a smaller note, released Squirtle...
-Caught Koume the Paras!
-Had one heck of a training session with them! Holy cow, was it tough!
-Taught Koume Bullet Seed
-Taught Alucard Thief
-Got to Cerulean City and fought Mayuri(RIVAL)
-Crossed Nugget Bridge and saved Bill
-Massacred Misty and obtained CASCADEBADGE and Water Pulse, which I sold
-Saved at Cerulean Pokemon Center
Alucard/Zubat ♂ Lv. 21
Bold Nature(+Def, -Atk)
Koume/Paras ♀ Lv. 24
Gentle Nature(+SpDef, -Def)
IGrS Pokemon Cycle Challenge: Leaf Green Update #2
-Headed Down to Vermilion City via the Underground Tunnel
-Boarded the S.S. Anne with the ticket Bill gave me
-Battle all trainers, and obtained all possible items before heading towards Captain's Den
-Defeat Rival, and Obtain HM01: Cut
-Left the S.S. Anne and went to the Vermilion City Gym to face off with Lieutenant Surge
-Demolished the gym, and obtained the Thunder Badge
-Returned toe Cerulean City, and headed west towards the Rock Tunnel, and passed through teaching Rock Slide to Nidoking
-Exited to Lavender town, and Immediately headed East to Celadon City via Underground Passage
-Obtained Coin Case, and Tea, and proceeded to the Game Corner and fought Rocket Grunt and opened up the Rocket Hideout
-Fought my way through, obtaining all possible items, and met up with Giovanni and Defeated him. Obtained the Slyph Scope
-Made my way back to Lavender town and Fought with Rival in the Pokemon Tower. Went to the top, and saved Mr. Fuji from the Rocket Grunts. Obtained the Poke Flute
-Went back to Celadon City, and headed towards the cycling road collecting HM02: Fly along the way. Road down untill I made it to Fuschia City
-Entered Saffari Zone, captured Poliwag and obtained HM03: Surf. Also obtained the Warden's Teeth, which rewarded me with HM04: Strength
-Trained Poliwag into Poliwhirl to get my second team member Jynx, via a trade at Cerulean City, and taught her Psychic. Psychic Obtained from Saffron City after trading Tea to the checkpoint guards
-Went to Celadon City gym, and earned the Rainbow Badge from the gym Leader Erika
-Saved game at Celadon City Poke Center
Liege, the Nidoking Lv. 45
Calm Nature(+Sp.Def, -Att)(ouch T.T)
ZYNX, the Jynx Lv. 36
Mild Nature(+Sp.Atk, -Def)
Pokemon Fire Red Cylce Challenge GGrP Update #2
-Made my way to Vermillion City
-Caught Richter the Diglett
-Taught Richter Rock Tomb
-Trained a little
-Boarded the SS Anne and fought all the (wimpy)Trainers on it.
-Mopped the floor with Mayuri's face
-Obtained HM01 Cut!
-Taught Richter Cut
-Alucard evolved into GOLBAT!
-Koume evolved into PARASECT!
-Richter evolved into DUGTRIO!
-Stomped Surge (I only used Richter for his Raichu!) and acquired the THUNDERBADGE and Shock Wave!
-Battled through Rock Tunnel without using Flash cause I don't know why...
-Arrived in Lavender Town and saved.
Alucard/Crobat ♂ Lv. 30
Bold Nature(+Def, -Atk)
Ability: Inner Focus
Koume/Paras ♀ Lv. 30
Gentle Nature(+SpDef, -Def)
Ability: Effect Spore
Richter/Dugtrio ♂ Lv. 28
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Atk)
Ability: Arena Trap
FiRFl Cycle Challenge: Pokemon Red Update #2
- Ran through Rock Tunnel.
- Hikers are the scum of the earth... Making their Pokémon explode all the time :l
- Made it to Celadon and Torin just laid waste to the pretty garden women.
- Entered Game House and got really dizzy spinning.
- Beat Giovanni and got Sliph Scope.
- Went back to Lavender to bust some ghosts.
- Demolished Rival.
- Oh Gen 1 and the fact that Seismic Toss hit's Ghost Types xD
- Beat up more Team Rocket and got a flute!
- On the way to Fuchsia, I ran out of PP for both Ki and Torin... Gotta say it was a struggle getting there but I made it.
- Went straight to the Safari Zone to pick up my final member Rylli the Rhyhorn.
- Taught Rylli a bunch of TMs and fought the gym battle.
- Rylli solo'd Kuga even with his amazing final manuever of blowing up his pokemon last Pokémon when I had a full team. (Rest + Pokéflute OP)
- Back into the Safari Zone to get Surf and... Teeth!?
- Got Strength and gave it to Rylli.
- Went to Saffron casue I forgot it exsisted.
- Rylli became a Rhyhorn in Silph Co. building so, I taught him Surf.
- Beat Giovanni again and got Marsh Badge.
- Surfed onto of my 4x weak to water Rhino all the way to cinnabar.
- Found the key and Rylli destroys entire gym.
- Returned home to Kanto and then got to Viridian.
- Defeated Giovanni and got my last Badge.
- Won against my rival and then got through Victory Road.
- Saved at the 'Pokémon Center' in front of the Elite Four.
Torin the Fearow (53)
Atk: 126/Def: 103/Spe: 147/SP: 95
Ki the Primeape (56)
Atk: 148/Def: 101/Spe: 145/SP: 108
Rylli the Rhyhorn (54)
Atk: 173/Def: 155/Spe: 64/SP: 73
Hey everyone. Sorry for not posting anything yet, I haven't really had that much time right now :(
Number of Badges: 7
|All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:18 AM.|
© 2002 - 2015 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.
Use of PokéCommunity Assets