• Community wide rules apply. That means no porn or graphic images, no advertising and no linking to illegal/suspicious content. Common sense should guide your actions. If you need a refresher course, please read the global rules here.
Three Examples mandatory for Shops / Galleries
• To make a gallery or shop here, you must have at least three (3) examples. They can be of any medium or level of completion, so long as there are three pieces present.
Plagiarism will not be tolerated
• No plagiarism. A person who does it is no better than a thief and we don't take too kindly to thieves. You'll be punished to the fullest extent PC offers if you're found guilty of stealing other artists' works. We, as artists, take pride in our work. Plagiarism is a serious offense against the Pokecommunity, the artist, and above all, yourself. You're expected to understand that. If you suspect someone has committed plagiarism, please contact either Fairy or any member of high staff immediately so we may handle it.
• If you are collecting a recourse for others to use and the art was originally created by another artist (even if you edit it for your own purposes), you must credit the original artist. Otherwise, you're facing a content theft infraction. You have been warned.
Artistic Nudity or Mature Content is allowed
• Mild nudity is allowed. Artistic nudity, such as anatomical studies and general sketches, is fine so long as it remains tasteful. Though you're advised to enclose it in a spoiler and post a warning along with it. This applies for mild violence and generally graphic themes.Just don't go overboard. The bottom line is, we can't always define it but we know it when we see it. We reserve the right to delete any or all drawings/pictures that defy this rule.
• Always warn your audience if there's questionable content. Give a verbal disclaimer and enclose the image in a spoiler. A&D should be a safe place for everyone.
So use the Content Warning tags
• If your gallery contains graphic content, we now have content warning codes to isolate any explicit artwork from general viewing. This is to ensure all members of any age or disposition can enjoy A&D safely. Please apply the following code to any mature content in your thread:
To use the content warning code, all you need to do is:
Example: content warning
The following content may be upsetting. The following content contains (mature content here). If you are uncomfortable with content of this nature, please do not proceed.
mature content here.
We also have easily recognizable, editable, and optional headers for your threads so you can display openly that your thread may contain graphic artwork.
To use the header, edit the first page of your thread and include the following code:
• You may not post in threads that are over two months old.
Yes, you heard it right, 2 months and not 1.
Thread owners can double post
• If you finished a new piece of work and like to post it, yet no one has commented in your thread since your last post; you are allowed to double/triple/quadruple post! However, please be tactful about it. If your last post is less than 24 hours ago, please edit the prior post. This rule only applies to Galleries and Shops.
Gallery & Shop owners may revive their threads
• You may revive threads if you're the thread owner. Doesn't matter if it has been dead for half or even a whole year - you're free to bump it up as long as you have updates with you. There is no time limit for creativity, after all.
• If you own a shop but are no longer active, and people are continually bumping it, I reserve the right to close the shop. There is no need for people to expect their requests to be completed if you, as the shop owner, are no longer around. If possible, try to contact Fairy ahead of time.
You have to post your works here
• Although already somewhat covered under the rule against advertising, I'll state it again just to be clear - whenever you post a gallery to showcase your work, be sure to post your works in the thread itself. You are not to link it to an external site like Deviantart or your tumblr.
Art Oriented threads only
• The only threads that you're allowed to make in Art & Design are ones that come under one of the following types - Galleries, Shops, Tutorials, Resources, Competitions and Discussions related to art.• Request threads aren't allowed: Threads requesting artwork/sprites aren't allowed in A&D. You can look for traditional/digital art shops and request there. It doesn't matter how eloquently you purpose it, if a request is asked, it will be locked. Please redirect all sprite requests to the request thread.
No Request Threads
• No exceptions. Under no circumstances are request threads, or request posts, allowed. If you are making a ROM Hack and need a team of sprite artists to help, redirect your inquiry to the ROM Hacking forums. A&D is for posting your own artwork, not hiring artists to do it for you. See below for more on requesting.
• That said, you may post requests in any thread with the [Shop] prefix. This signifies that an artist is willing to create content for other people. However, you can only ask for whatever the artist has openly stated they are willing to make. If the artist advertizes they make avatars, do not ask for sprite fusions.
• Small biographies and examples of writing are allowed so long as 'the writing enhances the art', not 'the art enhances the writing'. if you believe your work is more literature oriented and more about the story you're telling though your art, I encourage you to post it along with your writing in the Fan Fiction & Writing section. Better yet, PM the moderators. We'll help you find the right place for you.
• You may post youtube videos for feedback/reviews in your gallery. AMVs, MMVs, Speed Painting/Sketching are forms of art, after all. But take care not to ask people to like/subscribe/comment on your youtube page or heavily advertize your channel. Advertisement is not allowed at PC. But, if you've made something nice and would like to post it in your existing gallery, you're welcome to.
• Generic posts aren't allowed. Posts that do not contribute to the thread will be, more often than not, deleted. Nobody likes SPAM, right? If your post can by copied and pasted into another artist's gallery without being changed, the post will be deleted. Be specific!
• You may post any number of pictures in your galley. There is no image limit. Though, if you do post tons of images, you are advised to enclose them in spoiler tags.
• Enclose huge pics in spoiler tags. Images that exceed 1500 X 1500 pixels in resolutions have to be enclosed in spoiler tags. Mandatory.
No negativity, guys
this is a happy place (◕‿◕✿)
• Critiques and comments are encouraged. However, any sort of disrespect, flaming, or general tomfoolery will not be tolerated. All artists in A&D want to improve and are asking for your opinion on how to do that by posting a gallery here. Please keep critiques (and all comments for that matter, negative or otherwise) tasteful, or you're risking punishment.
Commenting, Criticizing and Requesting
If you want to just comment on a gallery, you don't have to go in depth about their work. Just tell us what you like and why. Not everything needs to be an essay, but it does have to be meaningful. Comments such as "Your stuff is cool" just wont cut it I'm afraid.
When you are criticizing someone's work, be constructive, detailed and make sure you know what you're talking about. Art is subjective and meant to be appreciated no matter how abstract or different it may be. Be polite and make sure your critique is center around improving the artist. Also be mindful that some artists can take harsh critiques better than others. Same goes for those taking criticisms, be patient and open minded to differing opinions. It's not personal.
When requesting in a thread [Shop], be sure you follow the OP's rules and that you are not "demanding" anything. Remember that the shop owner is doing this for charity and are asking for nothing but credit in return. Be patient. If you feel you were skipped politely PM the artist inquiring why that might have been if the shop owner did not state the reasons.
Also keep in mind that a shop owner has the right to deny a request.
Please view the content below to read more about using prefixes in A&D and in depth definitions.
Galleries are the crux of A&D, allowing other members to know what kind of art you do and what you're looking for out of A&D. This is a showcase thread and used to receive comments and critiques. A gallery may contain a shop.
This prefix should be used when you're expressly wanting to offer your work to other people. This can be traditional, digital, photography, sprites, icons, signatures, and everything in between. Critiques should be reserved for the artist's gallery.
Discussions are just that, threads started with the intention of promoting conversation between artists or about art. Use your imagination!
The resource prefix is a touch more complicated. A resource can be something you created that will aid others artistically. For instance, if you've found/created a program that simulates lighting and shadows, that would be a resource. If you've compiled sprites for all of FR/LG, that would be a resource. If you're not sure whether or not your thread is best suited for the [Resource] or [Tutorial] prefix, contact a moderator.
A tutorial is defined as a period of instruction given by a professional(s). This means that the [Tutorial] prefix should be used exclusively when trying to explain how to do something in your thread. So, if you've created a thread about how to make brush patterns on Photoshop CS6, you use the [Tutorial] prefix. If deemed a high enough quality, the moderator will include your tutorial into the A&D Resource Thread.
A competition is anything in which an artist, or group of artists, is pitted against one another. Simple as that. If there's any thread posted where the poster (and or participants) do anything that requires judging upon its conclusion, prefix it with [Competition].
Now, the [Comic] prefix has a certain special condition attached to it. A thread that uses the [Comic] prefix is the only image-based thread that isn't required to post the actual work. Yes, it would be nice if you did. But if you have a comic that spans many, many chapters, grouping these chapters and linking to them individually is more resourceful and economic than overloading the reader with a mass of images. This is the only case where linking to an outside page is allowed.
Thanks for reading and remember to have lots of fun in A&D! Please contact hstaff or Fairy for further assistance.
Special thanks to Derozio for thread help
Special thanks to Achromatic & shenanigans for the content-warning code
Moderator usernames are subject to change; current name: Fairy