The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   Fourth Generation (
-   -   HeartGoldSoulSilver Your starter? (

Amore May 15th, 2013 9:59 AM

Your starter?
Alright, quite a simple poll here: which starter did you choose on your first play of Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver Versions? Why?

Also, is that the starter you normally pick when replaying? If yes/no, why?
And which would you argue is the "best" starter for in-game?

Personally, when I first got SoulSilver I picked Cyndaquil because although I liked Bayleef is dislike with a passion the design of Chikorita and Meganium. Totodile / Croconaw / Feraligatr were the middle ground.

However, when I (for reasons I can't remember, something to do with version-exclusives I think) decided to swap it for HeartGold, I chose Totodile. Although I plan to use Cyndaquil on my next playthrough, Totodile undoubtedly evolves into the strongest pokémon (Feraligatr) whose versatility means you never come unstuck (As opposed to Typhlosion, who has a sadly quite limited movepool, and become stuck against Clair and Lance, making it pretty awkward to use). Totodile's design has also grown on me somewhat, and Feraligatr's sprite in Hg/Ss is arguably his best IMO.

★Raziel May 15th, 2013 10:01 AM

Cyndaquil. I always pick up fire type starters, because fire types are my favorite.

PlatinumDude May 15th, 2013 10:09 AM

I picked Totodile in HG and Cyndaquil in SS. I never bothered with Chikorita at all, considering how widespread its weaknesses are in those games.

Sableye~ May 15th, 2013 4:16 PM

The game itself (SS) had been a Christmas gift, and I looked up the evolutions of each starter with my sister's fiance. He suggested Cyndaquil and I went with it. (He used to play Pokemon as a kid, so he was interested.)

My other playthroughs were with Totodile, though. The only time I chose Chikorita was when I was SR'ing and found a shiny one.

T!M May 15th, 2013 10:53 PM

Cyandaquil. Simply because late-game Typhlosion is a beast.

Azu May 15th, 2013 10:54 PM

Chikorita, just because Bayleef had this very touching episode ;-;".

Imperishable May 15th, 2013 11:06 PM

I remember in SS, I started with a Totodile that was Shiny c:
Sadly, it was on an emulator, so.. :(

But overall, Cyndaquil and Totodile were top choice for me.

Brendino May 15th, 2013 11:43 PM

I'd used each of the three starters once a piece back on my original Gold, but I never really had a preference out of the three. Knowing that I wasn't going to use my starter as my main Pokemon, and that Bugsy is one of the early Gym Leaders, I just decided to pick Cyndaquil.

curiousnathan May 16th, 2013 12:18 AM

Unfortunately there's already a thread discussing the starters (for both DPPt and HGSS); which can be found here. Perhaps next time use the search tool to check if there is any current threads already discussing a topic you wish to post. 8)

With that I'll close this up!

[ Closed ]