The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   The Treehouse (
-   -   *Sigh* Yeah.. I'm okay.. (

CarefulWetPaint June 22nd, 2013 7:30 PM

*Sigh* Yeah.. I'm okay..
So how do you deal with sadness? What do you do when you feel down in the dumps? Whats the best way to lift your spirits, etc etc.

Purple Materia June 22nd, 2013 8:01 PM

I typically do something that engages my mind if I'm super depressed.

Studying usually does the trick; it takes all of my attention, and it contributes to a better grade! Other times, I'll play a puzzle game.

If all else fails, video games.

Sableye~ June 22nd, 2013 8:28 PM

Ehh. I just kind of exist for a while, waiting for it to go away.

Unlike several other posters, though, I'm not one to act emotional if I'm sad or if something is bothering me. Things just work out better, under most circumstances, if I pretend I'm fine. I also just don't want to deal with people pestering me about it haha. Though apparently some people can tell by my voice, so I have to pay attention to make sure I sound neutral/happy/whatever.

Aeon June 22nd, 2013 8:33 PM

I attempt to play video games in an attempt to drown it out. It works, but only for a short time. If I'm sad, I'll cry about it and I generally feel fine afterwards. If it's depressing me, then I have to rely on video games or something humorous to distract my mind for a short time.

Imperishable June 22nd, 2013 8:48 PM

Hm...I might try and play video games, like Call of Duty. I'll take my anger and despair out on the enemy..

Other than that, music helps me out, as well.

Broken_Arrow June 22nd, 2013 8:54 PM

i listen to music i try to busy my mind with doing something,i sing,i read,i make new stories to write ..i talk to God!

sometimes i talk to someone when i need a heart to listen but tbh this is so rare nowadays

Nakala Pri June 22nd, 2013 9:49 PM

I sing a random song, pat a rabbit and make face's in the mirror! Life is too short to be gloomy! :D

Aurora June 22nd, 2013 10:49 PM

If I'm upset at something, I'll vent about it on IRC or speak to somebody close to me (Internet-wise, of course; I can't really trust anybody in real life). It's a tried-and-tested way of dispelling emotion. I don't really get emotional as much as I used to, however, which is good and bad in its own ways.

Aslan June 23rd, 2013 12:41 AM

I usually listen to a few relaxing soundtracks, try and hum a few tunes and probably talk to someone close to me if I feel really down. I also try and do things I enjoy to make myself feel better such as drawing along with letting it all out by expressing it with words on paper. It usually makes me feel a lot better along with playing a few games. :]

Starry Windy June 23rd, 2013 1:01 AM

I'm listening to soothing music, or watching some inspiring movies. And I also talk to someone close when I'm feeling down.

Zanark Avalonic June 23rd, 2013 1:05 AM

I just do something that takes my mind off it, like watching a series I like or playing some online games. I have depression so I get times when it gets really bad, I usually talk to my mother then.

Talli June 23rd, 2013 1:26 AM

I would go and listen to PonPonPon by Kyary Pampu Pampu, if that no work then I write Talli Tales.

h0tshot1025 June 23rd, 2013 1:56 AM

If I feel sad, I usually take naps or I sleep for a long time. When I wake up, I feel refreshed and I feel lighter about whatever I am getting sad about :)

Poke Fox June 23rd, 2013 2:52 AM

Depends on the situation;

• If its a natural disaster - or some other tragedy on the news (where people loose lives), and I know I can't do much, I will just light a candle and have a couple minutes of silence for the deceased. Get my mind of the saddened event I will watch Pokemon anime, play the games, or take a nap, or take a relaxing hot shower.

• If I feel sad because of missing a concert or sporting event (for example tickets sell out before I can buy some) - I'll just save the cash for next event, not much to do, so I just watch Pokemon anime, play the games, or take a quick nap or take a relaxing hot shower.
• Something similar: saddened if the team I'm cheering for looses the game or tournament, I'll just try and think in my head "there is always next time - no reason to get upset - [team name] will have better luck next time/season/year - I will never stop cheering for you", this kind of loss hurts for a while, but I got to remember its just a game, not to get personal... again to distract my mind I'll watch comedy movies or Pokemon anime.

• If its something more emotional for me (say a family member gets angry at me, or yells at me, even if it wasn't my fault - such as a drunk family member) - I will try not to take it personally, I will just lock the door, and listen to music, or watch Pokemon anime (it's the main thing that takes the sadness away for me), play games (not Pokemon, but board games or card games on my PC), watch a comedy movie.... something to cheer me up, or I will take a shower.

Crunch Punch June 23rd, 2013 2:59 AM

I just lie down and maybe play music. Otherwise I try wasting my time with video games. I don't try make myself feel better because I prefer thinking about why I'm sad and resolve everything in my head rather than ignore the problem itself.

Harley Quinn June 23rd, 2013 4:24 AM

i cry a lot lol
i'm not good at dealing with sadness in a healthy way and i end up venting at the people who least deserve it and i feel worse because i feel guilty about it and it just becomes a bad cycle :///
but yeah, if i feel that whatever issue i'm dealing with is going to upset me soon, then i force myself to keep it all together and i put on a tough exterior until it's late at night and i'm alone
and i just let it out i guess lol

sometimes if i'm just feeling really *****y or angry or particularly self loathing then i vent on my personal blog and just let it sit there idk

Dreg June 23rd, 2013 4:41 AM

Normally, I'd usually do things on my computer to take my mind off it, but if it does get a lot worse, then the problem is, I turn to drink... and I know it's not good for my body :(

Kura June 23rd, 2013 5:29 AM

I wait until I'm home and I cry about it. I do it if I can't actually fix or affect what is making me sad, otherwise I try and turn things around.

diab_low June 23rd, 2013 5:46 AM

Hmmm how I deal with sadness well I just do what I tell everyone to do. Going for a run or a jog gets you blood pumping and the air rushing through you which is a very good way to clear things up in your mind and allows you to think things through.

Sweets Witch June 23rd, 2013 6:31 AM

I rewatch a few episodes of Joshiraku or I order a pizza. Sometimes I do both. It's hard to be down when watching slapstick anime and eating pizza.

nimbo June 23rd, 2013 6:37 AM

I probably start off by crying. Then I go and get one or two of my cats and force them to cuddle. Read a book or watch tv. If I still feel sad, I'll hop on tumblr for a few hours. Or the whole day, depending...

Sammi June 23rd, 2013 6:43 AM

Wallow in my depression. Consider talking to people about it. Then think I'll be crying for attention and forget that. Then just go about life as normal.

Honestly, going to bed helps me the most. When I'm sad, being tired makes it far worse. So I go to sleep, and face the next day with a positive attitude (hopefully).

Cassino June 23rd, 2013 8:09 AM

I have found YTPs to be the most effective distraction.
I'm not convinced sorrow is really a problem to deal with though; I absorb the experience and try to know myself better for it.

Meganium June 23rd, 2013 8:20 AM

I don't really do much when I'm sad, I just lay there in bed trying to get all my feelings out.

I sometimes text my friend, read a book, watch something funny, and write. Writing has allowed me to express my feelings and it has worked in every way.

Altair June 24th, 2013 1:21 AM

I rarely have a case of the blues but when I do, these four points I resort to do the trick to turn my mood around:

- Listening to music and lying down as it helps relax your mood (depending on the genre).
- Exercising if I haven't already done so during the day. Physical activity is known to combat negative moods.
- Eating Chocolate is another cure for sadness! It contains an amino acid which mimics the effects of a certain hormone in your body which makes you feel 'good'. That being said, don't over indulge.
- Video games, movies and other general entertainment may serve as an effective distraction from a negative mood.