The PokéCommunity Forums

The PokéCommunity Forums (
-   Computers & Technology (
-   -   wiκipædia (

droomph June 25th, 2013 7:00 PM

What sections (or kinds of articles) do you generally read on Wikipedia? If you have a life, what's the last Wikipedia article you read?

And don't say you don't read Wikipedia. We all do. Or have.

Honest June 25th, 2013 7:21 PM

Wikipedia (aka what got me through high school) is on the internet, soooooo it's a better fit in Technology in the Internet. =D

Gyardosamped June 25th, 2013 7:22 PM

I use Wikipedia to look up anything and everything. Even if I'm writing a scholarly paper, I won't directly use Wikipedia as my source of information, but I'll reference to it to see if the information matches that of what I find on other websites.

I've learned a lot of interesting things through Wikipedia, and I use the site daily to search for anything that comes to mind or that I'm interested in looking into. My latest search on the site was Russia-United States relations.

nimbo June 25th, 2013 7:36 PM

Wikipedia has led me to some strange things, haha. I can't remember what the last thing I read on there was, but sometimes I'll put in a random word and go from there. Some of the things on there are really interesting.

Starry Windy June 25th, 2013 9:39 PM

I often use Wikipedia to search any topics that interests me, like some shows. Lately I'm searching about one of the personalities.

Hikamaru June 25th, 2013 10:15 PM

I sometimes used Wikipedia, but I haven't been using it a lot these days. At least it made me learn a few new things here and there.

Brendino June 25th, 2013 11:49 PM

Ah, Wikipedia. Probably my biggest time waster on the internet behind YouTube. I can literally spend an hour or two on the site just reading through articles and clicking on related ones, and never get bored. I also love those games that send you to a random article, and try to get you to link to another through the fewest clicks possible.

The last thing I used Wikipedia for (which was about half an hour ago) was to look up the Iron Man movie. I'd just watched it yesterday, and couldn't for the life of me remember when it came out. A quick search later, and I know it came out in 2008, and about 50 more facts that I wouldn't have otherwise known, now.

Castform June 26th, 2013 1:07 AM

I use it for EVERYTHING! It is such a nice source to pretty much fins out anything you need and was so helpful through High School.

Poke Fox June 26th, 2013 1:16 AM

Funny I just found this topic, I just came from Wikipedia myself (I was reading about the state of Nevada - I really want to go visit again - not about Las Vegas, but about the northern counties in the state)....

generally in Wikipedia I'll just look up random articles that catch my interest usually whatever got in my mind (for example if I was watching a video on YouTube, and a famous person got mentioned, I might look up the history of that person, place, or event)

or keep up with the latest results in football or other events.

Elaitenstile June 26th, 2013 4:59 AM

If I start ranting, I'd look like an adbot advertising it. Because people, this is the bestestestest site that gives maximum info, all free and easy to see, and it's a humble place! You see, Wikipedia has a page of Wikipedia and it even lets people see comments made by people that are not in favour of it! That way, it's the most reliable thing, and also, see that anybody can edit stuff (like a wiki) so it's almost never out of date!

They call Wikipedia the incredibly roaming site, because oh yes, I kept rounding about from one related article to another. Wasted lot of time + helped my G.K + helped me survive in school = awesome.
P.S - The last article I saw in the Wiki prior to this post was the one known as - Pokémon.

Talli June 26th, 2013 5:22 AM

I only use it if I need info to help with my daughter's homework.

Cordelia June 26th, 2013 5:55 AM

I often play the Wikipedia game by hitting random and then seeing how many clicks it takes me to get to Hitler. :3

R.F. June 26th, 2013 7:35 AM

Wikipedia is a good source to get information quick. If there is some term I don't know what it is, I use google and take the first wikipedia link that's provided.

Sableye~ June 26th, 2013 7:50 AM

I wander around Wikipedia and read about medical stuff because it's interesting. I end up going from link to link, learning various things that I never will need to know.

A while back, one of my teachers actually printed out wikipedia pages on relevant matters for us to study. X}

Dreg June 27th, 2013 3:42 PM

There is a ton of stuff that I look up on Wikipedia, whether it be Sports, History, Science, Health or Geography. I don't think I go one day without looking up a wikipedia article.

Aurora June 28th, 2013 3:57 AM

I will read absolutely anything on Wikipedia. I'll just hit 'Random Page' and see wherever it takes me. When not taking a ride on the endless possibilities of Special:Random, I can be found perusing scientific or mindless geographical topics.

I've actually been using the site (and I've had a Wikipedia account) since 2007, so my history with it stretches back a long time. I was there before the Vector skin came out, I saw the mass purge or editing of BLP articles and I've seen the English Wikipedia reach two, three and four million pages in size!

srinator June 28th, 2013 4:16 AM

the last thing i read on wikipedia was about wayne rooney :P

- June 28th, 2013 9:26 AM

Uhhh, last time I sat down and actually read an article, rather than just referencing to Wikipedia, I was reading about time complexity... Stuff like the P = NP problem.

I really hate having to argue with people who claim that one shouldn't ever use Wikipedia for information, "as it could be inaccurate because anyone can edit it." I always have to explain to them that, while yes it's a wiki, edits are heavily monitored and thus any changes get revised very quickly; therefore if someone were to break an article, someone else would see the change and undo it. Don't get me wrong, one shouldn't just use one source of information, but Wikipedia is good for getting a concept of what something is.

ganesha June 28th, 2013 9:49 AM

Wikipedia is the perfect place to get knowledge. The last article I read was about Garuda Purana an Indian book of what happens after-life.

I read almost every kind of topic, mostly I come across scientific ones as I'm interested in science. I always take help of Wikipedia to do my project works in school, for which the last topic I read was about UV radiations I suppose.

Zach June 29th, 2013 4:25 AM

Yes, I have used Wikipedia for stuff since I was in elementary school, though I have had teachers that do not like citation of it. However, for teachers that do allow citation of Wikipedia, I'm sure they know that Wikipedia information also has its own citations, to verify correct information.

As for the articles I read, they vary. I am also an editor of Wikipedia (with over 500 edits), so if I spot vandalism, I usually revert it.

And no, I will not support Wikipedia. I hate it when they put those banners up on every single page.

Felly July 1st, 2013 5:54 PM

I use it to look up everything, haha. I've been using it a lot lately to look up articles for my Astronomy class to read since my teacher accepts those for points in the class. Wikipedia's good to read when you're bored too. xD

donavannj July 7th, 2013 10:26 AM

I generally use Wikipedia for lists of tallest things and sizes of cities, states, and countries as of late, but I have learned quite a bit by just scavenging through it for sources for school papers and by reading about things they don't teach a whole lot about in school.

Xander Olivieri July 7th, 2013 9:09 PM

I try not to go to Wikipedia ever. Last time I went was around B2W2's release when I was linked there through here...from which I went on a massive rewritting spree on the Pokemon page because a lot of the information they had was wrong and some fans had started putting links to hacks and fake games in it, not to mention they kept listing R/S remakes as the next games to be released...

I had a friend who used to go onto Wikipedia and just change web pages and links on it for fun since its an open edit resource.

My personal feelings for it: Its pretty much trash. You can't use it as credible source so there's never any point to using it. If you can find it there you can find it with pretty basic searching on the internet. If it could get proper protection for the site as a whole and receive proper credit it be more worth checking for general use.

The school I graduated from actually blocked Wikipedia. The warning message that would pop up was "Site contains false information that can cause you to fail a class if used in reports. Access Denied." I always found that quite amusing.

Kotowari July 9th, 2013 2:53 AM

I use wikipedia regularly to get a general idea about things that I might need for stuff. The last page I visited was about Total Dissolved Solids, which was something I needed for my thesis. As I learned in previous years that some professors do not accept Wikipedia as a reliable source, I see if they cite any sources at the end of the page. Often that includes a scientific article, which are good to go.

Synerjee July 9th, 2013 7:48 AM

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Wikipedia. I like Wikipedia as it is one of those websites where I can easily and quickly find information about almost anything under the stars. It gives me a general idea about the whole issue I'm searching for. On the other hand, I dislike Wikipedia as it does not provide accurate and reliable information. Users are able to edit any of its contents, so who knows if the information being read is actually true or not? Also, being a student majoring in Psychology, a research-based course, Wikipedia is my worst enemy when it comes to researching for credible info. Wikipedia is simply not allowed. Get caught citing anything from it and down the drain your assignment goes.