View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2008 (01:08 PM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
True enough, as not all characters are wordy, but there's still tone and expression that can be addressed in the 'short replies' case without going out on a completely ridiculous tangent. The character's emotional reaction to whatever the question is, reasoning behind the decision etc. (unless, of course, it's something completely trivial like "Coffee?") are another source of material. The problem with writing a post that is just "yes" is that...well, what the heck is anyone supposed to give in response to that? "Okay, then."? Short posts without any details to pick up on only lead to even shorter posts as the less detail you give the less the next IC writer will have to work with, requiring more creative work on their side to compensate for the lack thereof from the other's.
I've been hawk-eyeing this conversation, and you bring up a good point. I'm brand new to RP'ing, and luck is the only thing that has saved me from asking yes/no questions or answering with a yes/no answer. So now what I'm going to try to do is, when my characters ask a question, I'll leave avenues open. Like "we could do this, or maybe this, or perhaps this." It gives the person responding a little more to work with.

That said, if you have to respond to a yes/no question, it would be a good time to add some description. Like a character checking his watch to see what time it is, or describing something important going on, or the like. Or even adding details to help with character building, like having a shy person hesitate or blush to maintain the character's persona in everyone's mind. This wouldn't always be a viable option, obviously, but it definitely would help with the "'yes,' so-and-so character answered." posts.