View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
pn0yb0y67

Hack name: Pokémon: EnergyAmber (working)

Hack of: FireRed

Additional information about the hack: My storyline from the quick storyline idea thread

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn0yb0y67 View Post
I have no idea how to hack, but I've had the idea for quite some time...

Hack Name: Pokémon Amber/EnergyAmber/Something-Along-Those-Lines

Hack Of: Pokémon FireRed

Story: You've been tossing and turning in your sleep. You have nightmares of being underwater, struggling to survive. There are shadows floating around you and suddenly... You are awake, safe, in your bed. Today your father, the local Pokémon Scientist (Dr. Fuji) calls you downstairs and he gives you your birthday present: your first Pokémon. Unlike most children your age, you are not a Pokémon trainer. Also unlike most children, your first Pokémon is a clone of the rare Mew. You and your partner, Mewtwo, are ready to see the world and befriend many Pokémon. Your father's boss helps you start your jouney in Viridian City, and your father contacts Prof. Oak to set you up with gear that will help you on your journey. Little does your father know, your intentions are also to find where your nightmares take place. Little do you know there is far more to your dreams than you think...

You leave your home on Cinnabar Island and are transported to an undisclosed location (Viridian Gym). Your father's boss, Giovanni, secretly wants you to test his ultimate machine that is Mewtwo. Leaving his Gym (a cover for his alterior motives), you head to the Pokémart. The merchant asks you to deliver a package to Prof. Oak in the next town.

As you continue your journey, your father sends you more cloned Pokémon (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle and Pikachu) as a means to help you as you face challenges in Trainers. As you move further through Kanto, you find trouble with your fathers' employers Team Rocket. Eventually, you find Giovanni has been using you for his own personal gain, and you defeat him and his intentions to dominate you and the world.

As you travel through the Sevii Islands, however, you uncover the mystery surrounding your nightmares. You hear rumors that Team Rocket has still been attempting to clone Pokémon for their own personal gain. You are eventually led to New Island. Here you find a Laboratory, not unlike the one found in your hometown. In this lab, however, there are giant test tubes with what appear to be the rumored clones. As you reach the end of the facility, you find a mirror image of yourself. Unfortunately, this copy also has a team similar to that of which was given to you by your father, but at an advanced level. Your doppelgänger is cold-hearted, as are her Pokémon. This is you as intended by Giovanni. Your dreams, were visions of your clone's point of view.

After the defeat, you have access to Cerullean Cave. Instead of having Mewtwo at the end, as in the normal games, you encounter Mew.

Notes: No Gyms?
Mansion in Cinnabar: made similar to that in Celadon?
Giovanni battles, give clues? Mandatory to fight in gym, but no badge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckret2 View Post
pn0yb0y67: I like the concept! You'll need to iron out some details, of course, but it's a great idea.

Some plot points you might want to think about: why is Dr. Fuji sending his daughter out to test-run Mewtwo? (Especially since, as we've seen from the short she was in, he'd do almost anything for his daughter's good. Maybe Giovanni threatened to harm Amber if Fuji doesn't agree?)

Also, starting out with Mewtwo--even at level 5--makes for a ridiculously strong starter. I know this from experience; I used the Mew Glitch to catch a level 7 Mewtwo in Yellow, traded it to Gold and then into Crystal and used it as my "starter," and even discounting the traded Pokémon level-up bonus (battling with Mewtwo against same-level or stronger Pokémon), he's ridiculously powerful. Comparing his stats to those of the other Kanto starters, ALL of them are stronger, and adding all three starters' special attack stats together just barely clears Mewtwo's special attack. You're going to have to do something to make sure things won't be lopsided from the very beginning.

And what do you mean by "trouble with your father's employers"? Why would Team Rocket cause trouble with Amber, the girl their boss has chosen to test-run Mewtwo? Has she refused to follow his orders? ("Test Mewtwo at such-and-such location..." "No, I'll go to this town instead :P") Has she already started to figure out what's going on before Team Rocket begins causing trouble for her?

Anyway, I really like the ideas you have so far. It'll be interesting to see how it goes trying to make a game entirely without gyms (I'm making a game that won't have a gym/badge quest, so I'm having to come up with some interesting work-arounds...), and I wish you luck with that. I also think the evil Amber clone at the end will be a great idea.

So, from one newb at hacking to another, I hope you can really do this. If you need sprites, I'm going to be making an Amber for my own hack (she'll be a minor character), so I'll be glad to share and to make an evil!Amber as well if you're looking for a spriter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn0yb0y67 View Post
I think a backstory as to why Dr. Fuji allowed for his daughter to go out, would be at first intrigue in that: according to the Origin Story of Mewtwo, Amber and Mewtwo shared the same brainwaves, (testing his hypothesis that they may have some sort of bond). Then adding to that, he gets increased pressure from TR for positive results in creating their "Ultimate Weapon".
I like the idea of having the conflict of wanting his child to be happy with her Pokémon partner, and maintaining his status in TR.
As for the gym and TR problems: there could be a Rocket Executive in each town in lieu of a Gym Battle (the Leader may have stepped out). While the idea of Mewtwo having such high stats is daunting, the Execs could be at a higher level than the local trainers as a bit of a challenge...
If a team would like to take on this story, I'd be willing to lend it =P
Just as long as I'm involved and the story is stuck to as closely as possible =)

Finished percentage: 0%

Your hacking skills: Little bit of spriting... Not much else.

What help or skill you're looking for: Everything else necessary.

Additional contact information: PM

Additional information: As much as I'd like to learn how to create the hack on my own, I just don't have the skills or patience to learn how to hack... I'd like for this to go somewhere though, as I enjoy playing games and hacks.