Thread: Metal Coat;
View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Something Legendary This Way Comes
(chapter twelve - the twelfth chapter of the story. analyzation ahoy!)

It was quite odd how Fate would mess with Kris (and everyone else in the little traveling party) in this fashion.

None of the members of this traveling party pretended that they knew what the heck Fate was thinking, or why it went out to lunch and left Irony to tweak about for it.

In reality, Fate was having a lot of fun.

Palkia watched his little reunion in hysterics. “I… am… a… genius!” he chortled. It was quite obvious that Palkia was enjoying this immensely.

“Having fun?” Dialga asked, plodding into the room and trying not to scratch his annoyingly long and sharp foot ornaments on the luminous ivory-and-pearl flooring.

“I’m fine…” Palkia turned to his brother (well, every Legendary was related to every other Legendary, so…). “But did you see what I did there?”

Dialga frowned. “You’re quite the prankster, aren’t you? Arceus might not be too thrilled about it.”

Palkia harrumphed and folded his arms. “Now, why would Arceus be mad?” He held out his arms in a shrug. “It was all in good fun. Besides, nobody got hurt.”

Shaymin padded into the room. “Are you sure?” she asked, sounding concerned. “It looked pretty bad out there. Plus you made Cyrus go out into the open…”

“That was Mesprit,” Palkia argued back. “Besides, all I did was made the two pass Professor Driftwood. All of the other stuff was her doing.”

“And you could have stopped it, though.” Shaymin flicked into Sky form and leaped onto Palkia’s desk, where he was messing with the universe on what seemed to be a large touch screen, projected as a long, flat, rectangle of light. “But did you? No you did not. You could have!”

“No I couldn’t. I can’t control another Legendary…”

“But you could control Magnezone.”

“I could not! I make fate. I don’t control things. You want control? Go whine to Arceus!” Palkia spat, getting annoyed.

Dialga, who had moved closer to Shaymin in case she got too irritable at the laid-back Palkia, nodded in agreement. “That’s true,” he rumbled.

“Well,” Shaymin frowned, eyes narrowed as she reached out one white paw and grabbed a rather good-looking French éclair from Palkia’s own creation, the Platter of Spacewarped Baked Goods. “Just what makes you think you couldn’t put a barrier or something in the way?” She frowned, taking a small bite out of the éclair.

“I was busy in Johto.” Palkia grumbled quickly, snatching the Platter of Spacewarped Baked Goods out of Shaymin’s paws. Shaymin rolled her eyes and turned away to float back down to the floor.

“Well, fine.” She said. “Be that way.” And with one last wave of her short tail, Shaymin padded out of the room.

“There’s nothing going on in Johto, is there?” Dialga asked.

“Oh yeah… something about a red Gyarados…” Palkia replied with a wry grin.

Kris was trying quite hard to not descend into the realms of hot-tempered, quickly irritable Persian-girls. She really was. But so far, everything that had happened here had gone south.

And when things go south, Kris’ mood plummets with them.

She trudged irritably through the forest, taking glances at her traveling companions once or twice. One of them was a helpless goofball, and the other was… well…

“What are we supposed to do now? And we’ve gotta get to that mountain, or else we’ll never get back home again. Remember?” Kris asked irritably, as much to the open air as to the other two. “Turning around isn’t the most fantastic of ideas, and nor is going forward. Can’t go around it, can’t go under it.”

“That leaves only one option: go above it.” Cyrus’ flat voice cut into her ranting.

“Can we get to Mt. Whatever now?” Caro asked.

Cyrus looked up. “It should be late enough by now.” He observed. “We are going to Eterna City.”

“Why’s that?” Caro asked.

“You didn’t honestly think I was going to lead you two into Mt. Coronet without provisions, did you?”

“And where are you supposed to get these provisions?” Kris asked, her irritable mood heightening. “We’ve got no money, no means of getting free stuff, and walking into a market with you around is like suicide.”

“I never said we were going to pay for anything,” Cyrus replied calmly, choosing to ignore the suicide comment.

Caro and Kris stared at him.

“And no, this won’t involve thievery,” he added after meeting their glares.

Caro, all doubts shot down, took out Golbat’s Pokeball and sent out the bat with a blast of red light.

“Where to?” the Pokemon asked Caro, Crobat quickly appearing by its side in a similar fashion.

Cyrus sent out Honchkrow silently. Before the Pokemon had an opportunity to speak, the man gave Honchkrow his command. “Fly to Eterna City.”

Honchkrow looked around cautiously, a hint of fear in his eyes. “Are you sure…?” He squawked. “I mean… Eterna is… and the building… and the…” But he quickly cut off the string of complaints, prompted by a downright creepy glare from his master. “Okay, okay! I get it! You can stop staring at me now!” (Unfortunately, Cyrus hadn’t kept his promise to never attempt interaction again.)

After the three had ascended their mounts and were up in the air, Cyrus’ Crobat was sent ahead to scout for danger (danger, in this case, meaning Trainers or enraged deities who were the only explanation for the general bad luck they dealt with since entering Sandgem Town). After the Pokémon returned with no news of importance, he was sent back to his Pokéball after declining the offer to keep flying.

It was, as Crobat promised, an uneventful ride. Nothing but cold, wet cloud, pricks of light, and dark blue vastness around the three… it got quite boring. Finally, the trio – who had probably earned themselves a spot in the Strangest Traveling Parties of All Time by now – reached Eterna Forest.

Honchkrow dived downwards, to a large clump of trees around a rather large (but dilapidated and vacant) mansion. Cyrus turned around and motioned for Kris and Caro to follow him – they did. The Crobat and Golbat plummeted past Honchkrow, making the Big Boss Pokemon (how appropriate) lose his balance. As Honchkrow straightened out, Caro and Kris waited for him from their hovering positions in between the treetops. Both were laughing.

Silently Honchkrow flew past them, purposefully sending a large gust of air in their faces. Silenced, the Pokemon followed Honchkrow to the ground.

The lights shining out the Pokémon Center were, of course, on. As Caro, Kris, and Cyrus trudged along the path (or at least the area next to it) leading from EternaForest to the city of the same name, the light coming from the Pokémon Center
faintly illuminated a very large something a little way to the north.

Kris cringed, and Caro took a sharp intake of breath.

For, in the exact location that the Eterna Galactic building had been before, there was the same building – except most of it was crumbled ruin.

A normal person in Cyrus’ position would not be too pleased with this. But this is Cyrus we’re talking about, so there was none of that ‘emotion’ garbage here. Arceus no.

So his face was the same stoic expression when he saw the crumbled half-intact building that used to be the Eterna Galactic Base.

“Ouch,” Caro mumbled, breaking the silence.

“So that’s what… about half of the building looked like,” Krismused, more to herself than anyone else. Suddenly, her eyes widened in surprise as the moon shifted for a second and caught a glimpse of light from within the half-crumpled ruin.

“Hey! Did you see that?” Caro whispered, pointing to the ruin. Apparently, he had seen it too.

“Yes,” Cyrus muttered back.

Caro proposed a completely educated opinion that of course had no flaws: “I say we investigate. It’s around highmoon, and who’s about to look at an old ruin anyways?” Nobody had any objections, so Caro lead the way into the ruined building.

Around this time, Cyrus was beginning to lose his grip on the disgusting things people called ‘emotion’. He was keeping a blank face and tone, yes, but with some difficulty. It was quite overwhelming, in fact.

Kris smiled smugly at him and spoke, bringing his train of thought to an abrupt halt. “You didn’t want to get any supplies at all; all you wanted to do here was see this place again.”

He didn’t reply. He did, however, look the other way, staring at something that wasn’t there.

“Hunh? What’s this?” Caro asked after a few more minutes of smug smiling and ‘Kekeh, I knew it’ remarks from Kris.

“What is it?” Kris leaped over a rubble pile to see what her friend had found. Snapping out of his stargazing, Cyrus followed her.

Caro stood a few feet away from them, holding something small, hollow, and ovular. It was chipped and cracked in several places; it looked like a chain link. It was blood red, however, and appeared to have roughly (no pun intended) the texture of sandpaper.

“Give me that.” Cyrus took the peculiar link from Caro’s palm almost immediately after seeing it. He examined the link, not speaking, for several minutes.

“It’s a piece of a Red Chain,” he said finally. “However, it seems to be heavily damaged and isn’t likely to do anything on its own. It looks to have been quite unused for some time, left somewhere else to be forgotten but moved quite recently. As an estimate, it was made about…” Cyrus’ voice trailed off into silence.

Caro and Kris simply stared at him, surprised and astonished by his accurate explanation just by looking at it.

A few more minutes of silence, then-

“You made it, didn’t you?” Kris asked, the smirk not removing itself from her face.

“Yes. I did,” Cyrus replied (if you strained your ears very, very hard, you could have heard a small sigh come out of his mouth with it). “However, it was handled and moved quite differently – and much more recently - by something else. Something not human.”

“What do you think remade it?” Caro snorted. “A Bibarel?” Though this was meant to be a joke, Kris didn’t seem at all amused and Cyrus took an opportunity to glare at him. Caro grimaced and kept quiet.

“Not a Bibarel,” Cyrus said slowly, “Or any other normal Pokemon for that matter. As ludicrous as it sounds, this seems to have been handled quite roughly and hastily by a Legendary.”

Last edited by Giratina ♀; May 8th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.