View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2009 (11:02 AM). Edited May 17th, 2009 by SCV.
SCV
DPP Game Researcher

Send a message via AIM to SCV Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SCV
Quote originally posted by E-Bag:
I was saying you as to the hacking community in general, I'm sorry if it came across as sounding somewhat harsh and pointed.

I think there's no question as to why it's not happening. There's a lack of interest, and even when there is interest there is a lack of motivation.

I'd like to step back a few months to when I was hacking Diamond and Pearl. I was a completely stuck up idiot. The way I behaved during the time of PokeSpam was totally unacceptable. I was some stupid "noob" who learned how to press CTRL+F in a hex editor and tell when he found something. I don't want the hacking community to become anything close to what I was.

The best thing for the future of hacking would be to have some open collection of research (A Wiki maybe) where people who want to contribute can look over the data collected by other hackers and jump right into the middle of the scene.

The only thing that can save the hacking community at this point is to be much more open and active. If people are unwilling to do that then the hacking community is most likely doomed to go without fourth generation hacking.
Well we have in fact set up a wiki and me an pichu2001 have been adding to it for a while now. Not many people know about it though. But for anyone interested I put a link in my sig. There are many things missing and we took a break from making pages and updating because we were working on the script decompiler. But we mostly finished it this week, so pichu2001 is going to add more to the command list. I am now working on the script compiler.

I have always believed in open development and that's why PPTE was open source and PPRE is open source. Partly because I am grateful that there were those who provided open source programs that helped me get started in DS ROM Hacking. In particular loadingNOW's PokeDSPic was my first excursion into ROM hacking and not only did it help me get started with ROM hacking but also with learning C#. If it had not been for that, I might not be where I am right now.

I think open source is useful if at least for updating program for new releases. If PokeDSPic had not been open source people would probably have been stuck with not being able to edit Platinum sprites.

Also there is also the issue of some people not having enough time, due to work, school, etc. Which is the reason at least three people who would be working hard on DS Hacking are not at the moment.

A new type of DPP Editor: PPRE (PPRE beta 0.05 now out, but there are newer releases)

Useful programs for DPP Hacking/Research: http://rapidshare.com/files/179900486/ROMHackingTools.zip