View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2009 (01:14 PM).
Lv.86 Pixel Artist

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Chesu:
A light-diffused gradient that doesn't make proper use of the light source... ;
You goal is, of course, to make your sprite look like... well, what it's supposed to look like. Cloth wouldn't normally look like the left side of your sprite's jacket looks... There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but realistically the shading would be more minimal.

Maybe like the "complex anti-aliasing" shown here.

As for pillow shading being abhorrent as you're making it sound, -Smash... like I said, it has its uses. Here, it's pretty terrible, and makes the portraits look cheap... but some games use it due to the limitations of the platforms their games are developed for, and by using it properly and integrating it into the game's overall art style, they manage to make it look pretty good.
Ah, Chesu, it's pretty abhorrent indeed. I'll explain why.

Pillowshading or pillowing.

Shading style in which there is absolutely NO lightsource established, because the shadows come directly from the outlines and inward into the sprite, even though it may appear that a lightsource is between the object and the viewer. It creates an ugly effect that does not even resemble pillows, and on sprites with line segments in them, the effect magnifies in to the worst. Having black lines inside of the sprite and shadows behind them only by one side can be said as derived from this, I believe.

Common error by young spriters everywhere, and the bane of any spriter hoping to improve. It's something too useless to even be considered a technique.

Now, pillowshading and pillowing are the same thing, but you seem to be mistaking what you call "pillow shading" from what I know as Layered shading.

Layered shading

In this type of shading, there is obviously a light source present, and the shades do not follow the lines as before but stand in a similar manner and are numerous. The layered style might give the impresion of being pillowed in small sprites, and so leads to misconceptions. I find the style to be fine to use, but pretty hard to get it right. The best example of this would be that video you posted before.

Now this is what would be known as proper shading. A good lightsource established, and only a few colors. Fitting for the pokemon style.

And this, regular AAing used properly. Exceeding in AAing might get you that pillowy effect on small sprites, like you mentioned before. It should be used moderately.

And this is selective outlining. Basically have your outlines brighter when circling bright areas and eliminate the ugly black lines all over. It's something most people miss around here, and should be brought to light, but then I might be getting off topic now.

But getting to the point, yes, pillowshading is as bad as it sounds, if not worse. It would be best to argue against it instead of defending it because of mistaken terms.