[Ruby] Inserting Cries
View Single Post
October 28th, 2009 (12:08 AM). Edited September 21st, 2010 by destinedjagold.
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Join Date: May 2007
Based on ShinyQuagsire's cry changing tutorial on ROMHackTube
Hello there everyone. I am destinedjagold, the author of the Ruby Destiny series. Here, I will teach you guys how to insert new cries without corrupting the other existing cries. I hope you can find this tutorial useful.
What You Need
included in the EliteMap package
A Hex Editor
in this tutorial, I'll be using Hex Workshop
The .wav cry you wanna insert
in this tutorial, I'll be using a Ruby ROM
For reference purposes
Before We Begin
Always remember the
always save a back-up copy of your hack
Let's Get Started
Setting Everything Up
(1) Load your ROM...
(2) Load the cry you wanna insert...
(3) Type the POKéMON's number, the one you wish to replace...
This part is where I use YAPE.
Simply locate the name of the PKMN you want it's cry to be changed, and copy the number in the 'Game' field...
(4) Click 'Samples' afterward. If you are hacking Ruby, the Table Offset(5) will be automatically displayed. Here, you can differenciate the sizes of the current and the new cry.
(5) Be sure to change the offset here if you're hacking besides Ruby...
(1) Jot down on a paper, or type on MS Notepad the Table Offset.
(2) Jot down on a paper, or type on MS Notepad the Sample Offset.
(3) Open your ROM with a hex editor and find an offset with lots and lots of free space. Jot it down or type the offset on MS Notepad as well.
(4) Reverse the Sample Offset and the Free Space Offset. The screenshot above will show you how to reverse the said offsets...
Repointing & Inserting
(1) In your Hex Editor already opened your ROM, go to (
take note, "go to" (CTRL + G)
) the Table Offset...
(2 - 3) Find (
take note, "find" (CTRL + F)
) the Reversed Sample Offset(
without spaces, of course
). Make sure it's in 'Hex Values' type...
(4) After you found the offset...
(5) Change it into the Reverse Free Space Offset. Save it afterward...
(6) Back to PokeCryGUI, click the 'Samples' button and you'll notice that the 'Samples ROM' now displays 'FFFF', which means the cry of the PKMN is blank. You'll also notice that the 'Sample Offset' now displays the free space offset.
(7) Now click the 'Encode' button, and presto! You successfully inserted a new cry to your PKMN without corrupting any other cries!
Yeah, I just recycled this old thread o'mine. I am sure someone here posted the table offsets of the other PKMN games. You might as well look for it if you are not using Ruby.
Anyway, thanks for your time in reading this tutorial and I hope you will find this useful.
Cheers and good luck with your hacks/mods! ;)
3DS FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)
Trade Review Thread
PKMN ROM Hacking
Also Known As:
View Public Profile
Send a private message to destinedjagold
Find all posts by destinedjagold
Find threads started by destinedjagold
Ignore Posts by destinedjagold