View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2009 (4:08 PM). Edited November 24th, 2009 by Kirbychu.
Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by yossarian:
That definitely was true for the 1st and 2nd generation of Pokemon, Kanto and Johto when the pokemon anime was really popular amongst kids and there was pokemon merchandising everywhere. I myself discovered the games through the Anime and so did many other people back then.

It probably was valid for Hoean as well. I'm not sure about now though. Most people in the 13 - 22 age bracket already know about Pokemon and the games and don't need the Anime to tell them what it is.
Every time a new generation comes around, so does a new generation of players, and many older players also begin to lose interest. Game Freak obviously is more focused on recycling the main age group than keeping older players around (Of course they'll provide aspects to keep older players happy, but they'll never make such a drastic change such as making the games only about competition and strategy, or adding more adult themes.).

After/during 2nd gen, when Pokemon lost a lot of its popularity GF could have easily matured the franchise and added more mature aspects to the games in an attempt to keep the older generation around, but they didn't. They kept the same cutesy appeal, and decided it was best to aim at the same age group the franchise had once it started. The anime continues to fill its roll of introducing new players to the Pokemon franchise.