Thread: [Essentials tutorial] Basic Mystery Gift Tutorial
View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2009 (6:06 PM).
Pokémon Opal Producer
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to Nyu~♥!
Quote originally posted by Wichu:
Naming it something random isn't a good idea; security through obscurity isn't really security at all. It would take a single person to decrypt the game data, check the filenames needed, and post them on a forum, to completely ruin the whole thing.

The best way to do it is to implement everything on the server. The game doesn't do any checking whatsoever; instead, it pulls data off a website and creates a Pokémon from that.

That way, you can add new gifts after the game has been published, and make sure players can't cheat (short of hacking the site where it's stored). You could even add the code to a fixed forum post (the first post in the thread), and have the game read from that.

I'm probably going to make a tutorial for my method, and more
Yeah, that'd be better. Though, I was thinking a different way before seeing this:
The player gets a secret code from the games site, which they can then enter into a certain computer. (of course, this code would be something totally unpredictable, like fhyd80292 or watev, lol) By doing this the player can pick up a certain item from a little map I created called the Delivery Office.
They would then activate it, by using it in a certain area, or using the item in it's own specialty(like the flutes playing) to start an event.

..but, I totally suck at scripting such items. :/ And I don't know anything about inputting text. |o
Pokémon Opal has become partner's with another game! We are now hideAki!