View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:15 PM
Azurne
The Local Trickster

Nature: Bold
Do I really have to fill another one of these out if I'm already accepted at Serebii? *whine/cry*

Category: Comprehensive / Character
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Horror
Preferred method of contact: PM
Examples of writing:

(Snippets taken from my story on Serebii and two work-in-progress stories that have never been posted).

The Golden Dusk and Silver Dawn-
Spoiler:
Keera dried her tears quickly, and breathed in deeply. She sat on the edge of the bank, looking across the lake that led to the Indigo Plateau. The night had been crystal clear, almost perfect. The moon was full, and shone brightly over the lake, reflecting brightly in the water. The shadowed trees lined the bank, and the once-brightly colorful flowers now were obscured by the color of night.

Keera heard a twin snap behind her, and turned to see her mother sitting next to her, surprisingly.

“Mother? What are you doing here?” she asked dumbly. Her mother flattened out the wrinkles on her dress, and gazed at Keera warmly.

“Does a mother need a reason to see her daughter?” Keera smiled and shook her head.

“I guess not.”

The two sat in silence, with Keera gazing of into the distance, deep in thought.

That boy, Alek, was leaving on his journey. How he painfully reminded her of herself back when she was a child, receiving her first Pokemon as well. Keera could still remember that amazing moment, all its ecstasy intact. She'd remembered her first Pokemon, as bright as the moon was now, and his hot flames that had scorched her hand when she'd tried to touch him by accident. She remembered his quiet little cries, and his quirky personality that complimented hers to a T.

She hung her head, and buried her nose in the crook of her arm.

That was all gone now.

This was the present.

“You know... I think you should go.”

Her mother's voice broke into her thoughts, and Keera turned to look at her, one eyebrow raised.

“You should follow that boy... Alek, I think was his name... It'll do you some good. You seem so much happier while traveling, and not in one place. Such a nice boy too, he could use some advice.”

“Mother...” Keera trailed, seeing the tears forming in her mother's eyes. Her mother waved Keera's concerned notion off with her hand.

“You are still my daughter, no matter what happened out there while you were away on your journey, you know,” she said. Keera's face softened.

“Thanks mother, but didn't you... didn't you hear anything about me though?” Her mother turned away, faced writhed with pain.

“I... had heard stories... cruel stories, but I didn't want to believe them. Surely my daughter, my little Keera, would never do such a thing, and for a while I denied them, instead I focused on the daily life here in New Bark. But when I heard... when I heard that you....you...”

Keera looked down, shamefully.

“I'm sorry mom.”

“W-what?”

“I'm sorry. For putting you through all this. You don't deserve it.”

“Please, just promise me this time you won't do it again, and you'll help the boy become something great. I don't know what it is, but something tells me he'll need you.”

“I promise, mother, I promise,” Keera replied. Her mother smiled weakly.

“What will it take to get you to call me 'mommy' again like you use to, huh? No more of this formal 'mother' stuff, got it?” Keera laughed.

“How about 'mom', and we leave it at that?” Her mother smiled, and put an arm around Keera in agreement. The two gazed silently across the moonlit lake, with Keera's mind made up.

She'll follow Alek.

... If only to make sure he didn't repeat the same mistakes she made.

Grounded-
Spoiler:
“I’m sorry, it could be any day now,” Nurse Joy said, eyes downcast to the invisible ground in front of her, not visible on the tiny square box of a screen the old and frail lady was watching. “His heart is barely holding up, and I’m afraid his lungs will collapse at a moment’s notice. I’ve done everything I can to prevent him from getting sicker, but he’s just not holding up as he should.”

The old lady nodded silently, still holding the cold plastic phone to her ear.

“The infection shows no sign of slowing down either, does it?” She asked, croaking the words out as best she could. Nurse Joy shook her head.

Elizabeth Bennet sighed, and looked out the window of her quiet cottage home in Cianwood city. The summer house had belonged to her deceased husband’s family for generations, and was the chosen vacation spot for her Granddaughter’s going away party. Peaceful and scenic, the little cottage sat alone on the barren beach overlooking the treacherous sea. The waves could be heard roughly colliding on the rocks dotting the shore, and then receding back into the deep blue with the sizzling of salt water. Salted air wafted in and out of the cottage; the open windows inviting the gentle breeze and an expansive look at the hazy blue horizon.

Somewhere over that horizon, she knew her partner was dying.

She turned back to Nurse Joy with shallow blue eyes. “I shall make my return swiftly then. Please make him as comfortable as possible. Oh, and thank you, Joy. You’ve done everything you can.”

Nurse Joy, still looking distressed, nodded in understanding. “I-I’m sorry I couldn’t do more to help him-“

“Joy,” Elizabeth smiled, “You did what you could. Your mother would be proud.”

Joy smiled sadly in return. “Thank you, I’m sure my mother would have helped if she could have, like the last time. I’ll make sure he has everything he needs.”

With that, the two of them said their good-byes, and with her one flesh and blood arm, Elizabeth set the phone back on the cradle. Her prosthetic lingered idly by her side, awaiting use as it had the day she lost her real arm, but admittedly Elizabeth didn’t like to use it much. At the time, she had needed it to continue her work, but now it just became a symbol of how old and fragile she was becoming. She found herself constantly needing it, as her muscles deteriorated with her pale wrinkled skin. Aging was indeed a curse, she thought. Sadly, it was one they all had to take, human or Pokémon.

“Mom?”

Elizabeth turned to the familiar voice of her daughter Emma, fire-y orange hair the same identical shade as Elizabeth’s once was, holding a pile of dirty dishes from the cake and ice cream they had earlier. Outside, Elizabeth could hear the cries and laughter of her two grandchildren playing in the dark sand from the beach. Elizabeth smiled and shook her head slowly.

“I must return quickly, by tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Yaksha’s condition has worsened. You stay here with the children and let them finish their last real vacation together. I’ll return by myself.”

Emma cast a worried glance at Elizabeth before setting the dishes into the kitchen sink.

“Jake and Natalie loved Yaksha too though mom. They should know, and I’m sure they’ll want to see him before he goes. Plus, air fares these days are outrageous, and it’ll be cheaper if we fly back to New Bark together.”

Elizabeth frowned as she made her way across the kitchen to the glass sliding door. Off into the distance, she could see grey rain clouds moving in from the east, doomed to reach the shores of the cottage by nightfall, and pour through the day tomorrow.

“You don’t think Natalie will be disappointed if we leave so soon? She loves this place.”

Emma laughed her sugary laugh and continued to wash the dishes. “Mom, she’s going on her first journey. She can visit whenever she likes, and Jake will leave if she decides to go as well.”

Elizabeth smiled, wondering how Emma actually intended to separate the two siblings in time for Natalie’s departure. Six year old Jake was nearly physically attached to his older sister, albeit he slowly understood it was time for her to leave, like all children once they had reached the age of 10.

Like all children…

Elizabeth turned to the table next to her, where her old-fashioned purse sat overflowing with randomosities and nonessential things that had been stuck in it. She reached a thin arm in and withdrew an old black and white photo from her wallet. It was frayed around the edges, but it was still clear and whole, though maybe a bit bent and worn. In it depicted a very familiar shadow of herself, young and spry, wild hair held back in a low ponytail, crimson scarf wrapped around her neck and goggles sitting atop her head as always when they weren’t in use. Standing next to her, holding himself high with pride and nearly doubling her size was a Pidgeot, her first ever partner and prized friend.

Yaksha…

A Child in the Ice-
Spoiler:
I smiled from behind my waxing eyes, watching her tiny bundled form shifting in and out of focus, being carried off by police and handed to a doctor. I knew now she’d be okay.

And I couldn’t help but feel glad, even though I could feel life slowly inking its way out of me. I was glad that I had accomplished something, and saved her, against all the odds. And in the process, I overcame some of my own hardships. I proved I could handle this wretched frozen hell, and take whatever Mother Nature threw at me. I was strong, and I didn’t need a trainer to tell me. My heart, once a wasteland of indifference and apathy, was now warm with compassion and sympathy for others. No moment in my life had ever felt so great as this. Yet here it was, at my death bed.

More shouting was heard, and this time I knew they were for me, as they suddenly got urgent and started shouting in my direction. Many footsteps were heard flying against the packed snow, and the voices grew steadily louder, but then waned again, cutting in and out. Someone called for a Nurse Joy, and another called for bandages and another, a blanket.

But, you know, for all the things I’ve been through, I suddenly found myself not caring whether or not they made it to me. Life is one big system after all, and when one life dies, another is born.

The voices were very close, and I could hear them slowing down as they neared the lakeside edge.

I didn’t manage to open my eyes enough to see, but I heard the roar of a truck with chains on its tires, hauling off away into the distance. Inside it, my heart told me the little girl had made it. She would be in front of a heater soon, hospitalized and receiving lots of human treatment. She would get all the cookies and hot cocoa she could ever want, and she would go home with relatives. She would get another chance at life, for better or for worse.

One man stopped and leaned over me, and reached out his hand tentatively, before a startling snap! And simultaneous crack! Were heard on the ice.

In a moment of bliss and climatic hysteria, the ice on the lake shattered into a thousand pieces, and with it, dumped my limp body into the water. I slid off of it like a soap bar would on a wet surface, and I plummeted into the freezing sub-zero water.

Finally, after one last good try, I managed to open my eyes.

I saw the shape of the man who had leaned over to rescue me, his shadow dancing and rippling in the water, looking down on me. Bubbles from the escaping air in my fur and my lungs popped up all around me, and I could see him moving far, far away as I sunk deep to the depths of the lake bed.

The man was joined briefly by two others, who tried to stick their hands in the water to see if they could save me.

But there was no need for them to worry, or try to save me. The light from the surface blurred with the water’s murkiness, and soon I could not distinguish shadow from light. The pain had subsided, and I felt at peace. I closed my eyes, and let the icy water fill my lungs, my ears, and claim my body.

Yes, no need to worry.

I sank deeper and deeper, back legs first into the darkness, smiling. For I knew that no matter what happened now, I could die knowing I did a good deed. One was all I needed to feel truly happy.

A Gyarados then splashed into the water with a bright light, swimming with all his might to me, desperate.

But, I knew there was no need or reason for him to try, as the darkness had completely embraced me and engulfed me in its melancholy solitude. It was comforting, and yet a tiny bit sad all at the same time. I had wanted to live like anyone else, but circumstances called for my death.

I sank deeper and deeper, legs and paws numb, face now completely frozen, shivering spasms in my body now slowing.

Yes, deeper, deeper, and deeper, as the shadows shifted all around me, calling me to dance with them one final time.

My mind gave way to random and insane thoughts. Thoughts about nothing, thoughts about everything, and thoughts about sleep. I'd been wanting much of it during this journey, and now I can get as much as I want...

Finally, in the midst of my sweet insanity, the bottom.

Gyarados had thrown himself into the deep depths of which I had sunk, determination in his eyes worthy of many legends and fables.

But, determination and all, by the time he reached me and pulled me to the glorious surface…

I was dead.

EDIT: Added a second one, since I realized my Serebii fic is kinda old.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: (See attached documents)

Chapter one-1.doc

Chapter two-1.doc

I also have reviews on Serebii, but apparently I'm not allowed to link anything until I get off my lazy butt and post more. My user name is . IC Ghost . should you really like to go looking for them, however.

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): I am a person, and I am not perfect. I do miss things occasionally, so no promises of epic flawlessness. I am always honest about what I am doing, and if I think you're story is going to be a bore, I'll probably tell you. I am as prompt and quick as I can be, so the wait time to get a chapter back (assuming it was ten pages or less) is a week at maximum. Usually I'll have it back to you within three days however.

Feel free to reject me simply because I'm not active enough here, I just thought I'd try to lend a helping hand wherever I can.

<credit for avatar~>

Last edited by Azurne; March 31st, 2010 at 04:42 PM.