Thread: [Pokémon] Caught In The Moment [PG-13]
View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Semi-colons can be havoc, I know lol A lot of people don't know how to use them and try to anyway just to look fancy (not pointing fingers; stating a fact).

A good rule of thumb is if a sentence preceeds a phrase which commences with "however", you use a semi-colon before "however" instead of a period. The same applies to "therefore", "sometimes", etc.

If two phrases are similar and can be compared, a semi-colon is nice sometimes, as long as it isn't abused. For example:

The car is fast. I used that car to travel to Texas last week.

Can be rewritten as:

The car is fast; I used it to travel to Texas last week.

Because the content is comparable.

It's well-written, though. Nice job :] I'll try to see if I find any other mistakes. if you or someone else replies, I'll post'em in a new reply; if not, I'll edit this post.

Also, I personally feel that techniques should be capitalized, but not species or names, for the very same reasons you stated in the post prior.

[Edit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silawen
Second later it could be heard snoring quietly.
"Second" should be written "Seconds"; an "s" was omitted.

Quote:
It was a good thing, as it would be for any future pokémon trainer, that the young girl had such a wonderful role-model.
Quote:
A role-model very much annoyed with his sister's constant badgering.
"Role-model" isn't a single word, but is actually a separate word - "role model".

Quote:
“But, Derek!”
There shouldn't be a comma after "But".

Quote:
The man turned towards her, arms crossed. “Don’t 'but' me, Amy; you will have to wait 'till Mum’s birthday.”
Contrary to popular belief, "'till" is not the short-form of "until". This word should read "til".

Quote:
The young man sighed(;) mentally cursing his parent’s wish to have another baby ten years after they had conceived him.
Another semi-colon misuse; the sentence after that becomes a fragment, which is incorrect and incomplete.

Quote:
He loved his baby sister, of course he did, but she was the epitome of little girls(;) annoying, whiny, and possessing the most innocent brown eyes he had ever seen.
Another misuse. A dash or a colon would be more appropriate.

Quote:
“See, Amy? Pokémon battles are not all about power, it’s also about strategy and defence
"it's" refers to "Pokemon battles" which is plural, thus this should actually read "they're".

Quote:
“For instance I have taught this bellsprout to rely on his expert blocking skills
"For instance" should read "For instance,". A comma was omitted.

Quote:
The rattata was cute, but its evolved form was so much more powerful and Amy could appreciate the dilemma.
I'm confused; Amy appreciates a dilemna / problem? Elaborate on this, or perhaps use a different verb.

Quote:
“Either the bulbasaur or the squirtle(;) seeing as they are grass and water and therefore more effective against rock.”
Another semi-colon misuse which results in a fragment.

Quote:
The same goes for your choices(;) cyndaquil, totodile and chikorita.
Another misuse resulting in a fragment. Perhaps a colon or a dash would be more appropriate.

Quote:
“Yes, that’s the thing I will miss most when travelling(;) your amazing cooking.”
Another misuse resulting in a fragment. A dash would be more appropriate here.

~

The story itself is detailed enough, but it still feels rushed. Spelling is particularly great; grammar is awesome except for the random semi-colon / comma issue.

:]

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 7th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.