View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2010 (07:30 PM). Edited June 28th, 2010 by fissionessence.

I put indents in by using the css-div tag. Here's what my code looks like:
HTML Code:
[css-div="padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px; border: solid 1px #FFFFFF; font:  Calibri; color: #F0F0F0; background-color: #0F0F0F; width: 600px; text-indent: 15px;"]
Then each paragraph starts with <class=1> and ends with </class>, except with square brackets instead of angle brackets. The "text-indent: 15px;" in the css-div is obviously what makes the paragraphs indent, but only if each one is in its own class tag. Also make sure that at the end of the story you put </css-div>, obviously again with square brackets.

And here's part 4 . . .

A Curio, a City: part 4

by fissionessence

The lead Destiny coughed again, held his stomach where he’d been kneed by the red-haired boy, then took a deep breath and stood up straight. “And what kind of proposition would that be?”

Kiraf lowered a pack from his shoulders and opened it, showing the contents to the red-haired boy and the Team Destiny members. Silver coins filled the bag to the brim and were accompanied by a few copper—or perhaps they were gold—coins as well.

“Three hundred gold worth here,” Kiraf said. He closed the bag, then held it in front of him as if to offer it. After a moment, the weight proved too much, and he feigned nonchalance as he dropped the bag to the ground next to him. “I heard the previous owner’s a bit behind on . . . shall we say ‘rent’? This should put the shop back on good terms with your . . . ‘organization’. You get the money an’ I get the shop. Wha’d’ ya’ say?”

The red-haired boy stood solemnly watching as his adrenaline cooled.

The man from Team Destiny dropped the edge of the bag of curios he’d so far collected, then eyed the boy as he passed him, making his way toward the front of the shop where Kiraf stood. The man held out his hand in agreement.

“The boss should be happy with this arrangement. You got yourself a deal.” Kiraf and the Destiny man shook hands; the man took the pack of silver, and the three team members and the freshly conscious ekans filed out the door, which shut loudly behind them.

For a moment, the red-haired boy and Kiraf examined the ransacked room. Then the door opened again.

“Might want to get the sign changed, though. Still has the girl’s name on it.” The Destiny man had poked his head back in to address Kiraf, but then turned to glare at the boy. “We’ll be seein’ you ‘round, I’m sure.” He glared a second longer, then slammed the door again. Through the window, the boy watched the Team Destiny members disappear into the shadows of the moonlight.

Kiraf sighed at the three bags of items strewn across the floor, then made his way to behind the shop’s counter at the back of the room. “Suppose that pokéball o’ yours still ain’t for sale.”

The boy said nothing.

“Figured. So what brings you into a curio shop—er, my curio shop—“ Kiraf laughed, “—after dark? Don’t imagine you came in just to fight off Team Destiny for me, did ya’? You lookin’ to buy? My name’s Kiraf Dye’romen. Guess I won’t be needin’ a new sign, ‘spite what he said.” The young man cocked his head toward the door and laughed again.

“Your name’s Dye’romen?” the boy asked. He picked up the girl’s black bag and stepped closer to the counter to show Kiraf the patches and embroidered name. “Where’s Tirella?”

Kiraf stepped back slightly from the bag, then came back from around the counter to take a closer look. “Huh,” he said, and poked at the bag to pull a fold flat so he could read the name. “Didn’t recognize it before. Sure is hers.” He stepped away again, and moved toward a door in the back of the shop. “Come on to the back and we can figure all this out.”

The boy narrowed his eyes as the back door swung shut behind Kiraf, but he followed nonetheless.

The back room was filled with shelves of empty vials, a formidable stack of thick, dusty books, beakers filled with liquids of varying colors, and a hundred more unique and strange items, some of which the boy believed were innocuous, and others dangerous.

The young man Kiraf had made his way already to the back and was dusting off a shelf with his hand. “Ahh, just as I remember the place. Bit disused, though.” He looked to the red-haired boy and smiled. The boy just stood, holding the bag before him. “Ah yes. Let’s go ahead and get that open.” Kiraf gestured and nodded for the boy to open it.

“There’s no opening.”

“Just pull. Real hard. Just looks like it don’t open.” Kiraf sat in an old chair and pulled himself up to a table; he began reading the bindings of a stack of cobwebbed books.

The boy tried to pull the fabric, but it wouldn’t budge. He looked to Kiraf, but the young man was now seemingly engrossed in a purple-bound tome. The boy knelt and set the bag on the floor for a better grip, then pulled with all his might.

From the top of his vision, it appeared that Kiraf cringed backward, hiding behind the stack of books. The door behind him swung open; a girl’s voice cried, “Don’t!” but the fabric was already torn beneath his fingers. A clap of thunder poured out from the bag and his ears rung—the world spun, and the red-haired boy blacked out.

I'm going out of town tomorrow, so unfortunately I won't have a chance to continue writing for five days or so There are only one or two parts left, depending on how I decide to divide it up. Hopefully I'll remember to finish up when I get back!

~ fissionessence