View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2010 (05:55 PM). Edited February 22nd, 2011 by Patchisou Yutohru.
Hiroshi Sotomura
Top of the Class

Nature: Lax

Pokémon Black and White FAQ

As we gather more information, expect this to fill up with questions that tend to fill this forum. If you have anything that ought to be addressed here, send me a PM. This FAQ aims to address the simple questions as well as list the very common questions people have about the game.

What is Pokémon Black and White?
Pokémon Black and White are revamps to the Pokémon franchise. They are set in the Isshu (or in English, "Unova") region, which is also introduced in these games.

When does the game release?
Black and White will be released in North America on March 6th and in European countries on March 4th. The Australian Release Date is March 10th. They were released in Japan on September 18th, 2010.

What platform are these games made for?
Black and White are for the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS lite. They also have exclusive features for the Nintendo DSi and DSi XL, utilising the DSi's camera and presumably, its 802.11g chip (meaning WPA and WPA2 support!). There will also be an optional game mode where you can upload your Pokémon onto the internet and interact with them through a web browser.

Will the games connect to my router?
Yes. If you own a Nintendo DS lite, you will be able to use WEP to connect to the Wi-Fi Connection. If you own a Nintendo DSi or DSi XL, you will be able to connect if your router uses WEP, WPA or WPA2 (PSK and TKIP supported).

What is the Live Caster?
The Live Caster is a video chat feature exclusive to the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL. It allows you to chat with a single person face-to-face on the Wi-Fi Connection, and four-way via local wireless.

Will these games work in my DS if I import them?
Yes, provided that you have a DS or a DS lite. If you have a DSi, keep in mind that the DSi has region locking built in. Black and White will be "DSi-compatible" games, meaning they will work with the DSi's enhanced features. However, games with any DSi features are region-locked, so they will not work in a DSi whose region does not match, hence if you wish to play a Japanese copy of Black and White, you will need a Japanese DSi.

Will I be able to get Japanese Wi-Fi events from Mystery Gift? Do I need a Japanese DS?
Mystery Gift will check for wonder cards corresponding to the language for your game. You'll be able to, if you have the Japanese games, download any Japanese wonder cards, regardless of what region your DS was purchased in, and regardless of your ISP.

How will I transfer Pokémon between Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver?
You will need two Nintendo DS consoles, one with Black/White, and one with a 4th generation Pokémon game. Pokémon will be transferred from that game into Black and White via the PokéShifter, which is a mini-game where you toss Poké Balls around to capture the transferred Pokémon. This process is one-way. (Of course, it's also impossible to migrate 5th generation Pokémon into a 4th generation game.) The language between these games must be congruent - you cannot transfer Pokémon from an English copy of Diamond to a Japanese copy of Black. Take note, you can only receive Pokémon from the PokéShifter after you obtain the National Pokédex.

How do I get Victini?
From September 18 - October 18, Victini will be able to be obtained from Wi-Fi on Japanese games. It is not known whether this will happen later for English versions. To catch Victini, you'll need to have reached Hiun City. A boat heading to its location, Liberty Gardens, can be found at the leftmost dock.

Why aren't my Pokémon earning experience after the "tutorial"?
Stop pirating.