• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Pokémon was set in Australia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Come to think of it, Australia would make a perfect setting for a region. I'd be surprised if it hadn't already come up to GF yet.

Anyways, I think we'd have a lot more ground, fire, and rock type pokemon in the interior of the continent. The Great Barrier Reef would be filled with water pokemon of all looks and abilities. Where exactly does it snow in Australia? Because we could have some ice types too :D

Australia could have been Isshu. I mean you've got the sort of natural vs. industralization thing going on. Aborigines (natural) and industrialization brought by immigrants and the settlers from England.

Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2010
great idea i am loving it, I think the idea of hobart being the starter town is great!

One question though, why is darwin a red square? it has the smallest population out of any of the capital cities, even smaller then Hobart!

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Well, regarding the map, I don't really like it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I think that it should be yellower in the center(I know you said it was based on elavation and not terrain, but it would look a lot better that way). The second thing, which is probably bothering me the most, is the fact that the current map shows the region to be extremely small. To me, this map can only hold 2 gyms, as I like to be able to explore a big area before I battle a gym leader(completely the contrast of when you're not allowed to leave Pewter City before you beat Brock, which really drains the fun of challenging him) and being able to challenge them not strictly in order, but having various options in which order I challenge them. The third thing, not really relating to the map but while the regional pokedex would certainly be interesting, I simply don't see there being more than 100 pokemon in the regional dex, which, as you know, is a really small amount of pokemon to have.

Still, I really would like to see this as a game. If you know how to hack, you should make this(use a Ruby Rom, you'll have Dive already(lol, Pokemon Aussie Version)). If you are interested in making this, then the only thing I would suggest is to have a cliff somewhere on the coast which would eternally be at sunset, and then have Delcatty at lv. 30 available there. I don't know if there are actually any cliffs by the coasts in Australia, but it would be definitely cool.

Kleinchen

boldly going
Years
  • Age 31
  • CA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
As long as there is a dingo Pokemon to go with the game, I would totes play it if it existed. That map looks pretty awesome.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
This would be pretty cool. I want a dingo pokemon! I think it would be a ground or rock type. I think they usually like rocky areas. And I think they mostly are in desert areas. (I'm Australian, yet I know none of this xD ). I think it would be mostly ground and water types. And we do have quite a lot of forest so some grass pokemon too. And then some other types of course, and some of our old favourite pokemon.
Oh and I want a magpie bird. And a wombat. Wombats are cute. And echidna. And bugs. We get a lot of bugs. Doesn't anywhere get a lot of bugs though?

I second the idea of battleing team Bogans! Although i think i might feel weird playing a pokemon game where I can relate to the locations. It's unusual for me.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
But NZ is roughly the same size as Japan, so you're gonna have a BF the size or even bigger than Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh combined.
Nuh uh. Japan is a little smaller than Cali and has 126 million people and Cali around 40 million. Yet NZ has fewer people than Australia and is suppose to be the same size as Japan?

Japan is around 370,000 sq. km and NZ is around 250,000 sq. km (if I'm right) so yeah Japan is bigger just not horrendously. The regions are scaled down, like already mentioned, so NZ would probably be the size of the Sevi Islands + Sinnoh's battle zone.

#Emochu

ujhgjkjhgkujhjkhjkhkhkhhk hjkhj
Years
The starters would SO be:

Grass: Koala
Fire: Kangaroo
Water: Platupus

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
Years
What kind of Pokémon would there be?
  • Water/Poison Manta Rays
  • Normal Koalas
  • Fighting Kangaroos
  • Poison/Water (square/box) Jellyfish
  • Poison/Water Octopi
  • Fire/Grass Eucalyptus Tree
  • Fire or Poison/Water Crustacean
  • Poison/Water or Normal Platypi
  • Ghost Aboriginal Myth
  • Flying/Normal Emu
  • Bug/Poison Spider
  • Normal Marsupials
  • Normal Kiwi
  • Fire/Ghost Ozone Pokémon?
  • Echidnas, cicadas, jackrabbits, and many many other things I can't think of right now....

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Zomg, I was thinking about there being an Australian based region. :0
It would be sooo awesome, since there's lots of animals that are only in Australia that can be turned into Pokemon. I SO want a koala Pokemon. <3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
It looks pretty cool. I think it should have a mix of all the Pokemon from different regions.

Years
Tasmania is there, but why would New Zealand be on a map of Australia?

I haven't read through everything so I can't be too sure whether someone has pointed this out or not but in actuality, New Zealand is considered a state of Australia, according to the Australian constitution. Always has been.

On another note though, it is a pretty cool concept. I like it alot.
Routes would be insanely long.
Starting in Hobart would be good, nobody ever likes going back to their hometown in the games, so anywhere in Tassie would be good to start ;)
You could also use a S.S Anne style idea to get from your hometown to the mainland. As in, you get a boat ticket instead of running shoes early in the game and then get the shoes later on sometime. :)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
Regardless, it is still not a state and is an entirely different country. New Zealand declined the offer to become the 7th state.

The post above, about Water|Poison Manta Rays. . . I think you mean Stingrays. :P

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
You would have a Kangaroo right? Platypus? Koala?

Come to think of it, Australia would make a perfect setting for a region. I'd be surprised if it hadn't already come up to GF yet.

Anyways, I think we'd have a lot more ground, fire, and rock type pokemon in the interior of the continent. The Great Barrier Reef would be filled with water pokemon of all looks and abilities. Where exactly does it snow in Australia? Because we could have some ice types too :D

Australia could have been Isshu. I mean you've got the sort of natural vs. industralization thing going on. Aborigines (natural) and industrialization brought by immigrants and the settlers from England.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't snow anywhere... Maybe in Melbourne on a cold day, I believe there is a snow center in Canberra though, they recreate snow there, and theres a big ramp thing with snow on it..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back