Thread: [Pokémon] Leftovers
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2010 (9:27 PM).
something shining
Nature: Lonely
Sorry for the late reply! (I thought I already responded, but obviously not, haha)

@ Bay
Reviewing all the SWC stories must've been a lot of work. I def appreciate it. Not sure where the grammar error you pointed out is, it from the older version I sent you? (I know that had some embarrassing mistakes, haha).

Yeah, I was afraid the battles might've dragged on a bit (though I was actually most worried about Sammy's battle in that regard - any thoughts on that?). I can see how Bruiser's battle would've been gotten rather monotonous since she tends to use the same attacks over and over (guess who forgot Bayleef had vine whips ). Do you think it would help to mix up the attacks a bit more?

As to the ending, here is an explanation:

Short version: The humans at the end aren't real. They're illusions created by the Ninetales and Vulpix.

tl;dr version:
The episode "Just Waiting on a Friend" had a Ninetales that created an "illusionary" human via psychic powers. I extrapolated the same power to the Ninetales and Vulpix in this story.

Basically, the blonde trainer girl (Makoto) is an illusion created by the Ninetales (Kin), while the boy who was talking to Red is an illusion created by the Vulpix (Gin). This is why Makoto can understand Pokemon (if you look before, she appears to understand what the Pikachu is saying at several points).

So these illusionary humans can pose as trainers. This not only allows the Ninetales and Vulpix to avoid getting captured by other trainers, but also to take in the "leftovers," i.e. fellow Pokemon who would not be accepted/used by normal trainers, and give them a chance to battle. You might guess that the Ninetales would be sympathetic to these "leftover" Pokemon, as she's blind herself.

@ Astinus
I'm super happy you gave this a look, especially if you don't tend to read/review often! (hugs) I'm glad that the overarching part with Gin and Red works alright; I was worried at first that jumping back and forth between that and the battles might be distracting, so it's good to hear that it helps rather than hurts.

I like Bruiser as well, though my personal favorite is probably Sammy (I have a soft spot for the sweet and shy characters, haha).

I hope to write more oneshots in the future, even though I'm woefully lazy/uninspired (good thing the contest gave a hard deadline, else I probably wouldn't have ever gone through with it, haha). Anyway, thanks for reading, and I would be psyched if you ever checked out 7fEATHERS! (Btw, I must say that your avatar is adorable)

no, there aren't any heroes here...
[but this is the stuff legends are made of]

7fEATHERS | Leftovers