Thread: Development: Cutscenes
View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010 (11:02 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier
Nature: Lonely
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
It would be easier and faster just to use ASM. With a script, the event would be laggy and slow, and you'd be limited to what you can do.
I'm not so sure about this. I don't know why the event would be "laggy" and I can't think of any ways in which the hacker would "limited". Plus, though I haven't tested it, I'm fairly certain that remaining in a 'callasm' command for longer than one frame will at least have some minor ramifications.

Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
And about the music, even during the ASM, the music plays. When I executed my signpost, it loops until a key is pressed, and I never modified anything in the music. I think it has to do with the IO registers that hold the location of the music.
Sorta. I didn't understand this completely the last time I visited this thread but since then, I've learned a thing or two about music hacking. The gist is that the game uses DMA1 and DMA2 to continuously copy over music data to the I/O registers. knizz was correct in that the DMA buffers can only hold enough data for a split second. However, DMAs 1 & 2 have a special setting for music that will copy over a new byte once the "sound buffer" has been emptied. Basically, it's complicated.

Brother of Vrai