Thread: Development: Cutscenes
View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:02 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
It would be easier and faster just to use ASM. With a script, the event would be laggy and slow, and you'd be limited to what you can do.
I'm not so sure about this. I don't know why the event would be "laggy" and I can't think of any ways in which the hacker would "limited". Plus, though I haven't tested it, I'm fairly certain that remaining in a 'callasm' command for longer than one frame will at least have some minor ramifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
And about the music, even during the ASM, the music plays. When I executed my signpost, it loops until a key is pressed, and I never modified anything in the music. I think it has to do with the IO registers that hold the location of the music.
Sorta. I didn't understand this completely the last time I visited this thread but since then, I've learned a thing or two about music hacking. The gist is that the game uses DMA1 and DMA2 to continuously copy over music data to the I/O registers. knizz was correct in that the DMA buffers can only hold enough data for a split second. However, DMAs 1 & 2 have a special setting for music that will copy over a new byte once the "sound buffer" has been emptied. Basically, it's complicated.

Brother of Vrai