View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2011 (09:09 PM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Lyzak:
Hmm...
Well, I'm a bit late to the party it seems.

Regardless, what base should I use for my Hack?

I possess virtually no programming, engineering or scripting talents, so I really don't know my way around the back of a ROM... I'm the artistic person that has already spent too much time drawing overworld maps, tossing tiles together to make towns and routes, and plotting out the story.

Ages ago on this thread there was a discussion about FireRed versus Emerald. What are the major differences? Music was mentioned (but what does that even mean to someone who likes to WRITE his own music?), as were tilesets. Can Emerald have two overworld maps like FireRed? And on top of that, is attempting animated sprites suicidal for someone who wants to, if human resources provide, incorporate Generation IV Pokémon and moves into the game?

...and of course, various and sundry other questions.

-Lyzák
(looking for a hack team, btw. A GOOD hack team. Just throwin that out there. Look for me on the Team Discussion forum.)
Whatever base you start with is all up to you.
Fire Red has 4 Overworld Maps to work with, Emerald (Without ASM) has 1. (2 if you count the battle frontier Overworld, but it's not a very impressive overworld... lol.

Other than that, if you're planning on replacing the music, tiles, and other various aesthetic features, than it doesn't much matter what one you choose, especially if you're not going to be doing the scripting, or ASM. Otherwise those would be things that you'd need to look at, considering Emerald and Fire Red can differ from time to time in scripts. There are game-specific commands that I can't exactly remember off the top of my head, and the RAM data probably looks a bit different indeed (coming from an ASM standpoint).

Anyways, just pick your favorite and work from there, if you come across a hurdle you need help with, were always here, and willing to help.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>