Thread: Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking
View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
I have some ideas for simple sprite varying formes, as they aren't hard to do in any way. At the end of the day, the Unown are simply differing formes of the same Pokémon, so we can easily copy the routines for the Unown, bend them to suit our purposes (check genders/held items and such) and load the appropriate sprite for the result of the check.

However, formes with differing TYPES are going to be an absolute B***H to do. From what I can tell, the type data is not stored in the Pokémon's data, but is loaded from the Pokémon data tables dynamically as it's needed. This means that we will need to create literally hundreds of new routines which run the same checks as the sprite ones above to try to force different typing on different formes.

Is it really worth doing this...?
Yeah, about the Is it really worth parts, I'm telling you, IT IS.

Moving on, I suggest that you should try to work with JPAN's hacked engine, as I can see that this and that combined would be a total FireRed hacker heaven. And I saw something about the integration with JPAN's save block hack, too, so this would be a good option.

You still do the work, though, so it's really up to you.