View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
OneofFour
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post

Anyway, I'm trying to be as active as I can in S&M, I post threads from time to time and post around quite a bit, mostly I post in the questions thread, giving advice, and giving out moveset's. <3 The S&M is quite a hard to place to deal with because it can't run events. ;; Since they're ran in the battle stadium, maybe combine S&M and the Battle Stadium? Idk.

First off, I would agree with this. Make competitive pokemon, whether actual battles or theorymonning, one forum. The two share the same ends.

Secondly, about the intimidation stuff. I just recently joined this forum when B&W were released, because I had a friend who said there were tournaments and battles run here, and that it was pretty active. Never did he mention any intimidation, so I wonder if that is sort of an invented problem? Generation four was at its end, naturally activity would go down, I think. Also, this is a competitive forum, I don't understand why it wouldn't feel a little intimidating just from its nature; people posting here should not be scared of criticism, as there's probably a little truth in every post. If someone posts "electric/metagame weak 2/10 this team sux", perhaps that seems a bit offputting, but to me it looks like it's getting to the core of an issue (namely, getting rolled by Raichu). I get that it's not directly contributing by recommending some ground pokemon or maybe something with Lightningrod, or the ever-infuriating Ferrothorn, but at least it is pointing out a flaw.

If there's any intimidation issue, I think its a problem with using pokemon below UU, and sometimes below OU, on a team. I find the most common complaint about teams, across forums, is that Pokemon A outclasses Pokemon B, or worse, merely that Pokemon B is not good. That's fine, and it can be helpful advice, but chances are if the person is setting up a competitive team, they knew about Pokemon A, but chose B anyways. However, too many people see the OP using B, and seem to obsess on that, and forget that probably the OP just likes Pokemon B, and that's really all there is to it, and no amount of theorymonning will change their mind. Its a symptom of tiering, and loses sight of the "have fun" aspect of gaming. I use Empoleon, I use Magmortar; they are fun for me to use, I like their designs, and they are unexpected for most people (though admittedly not hard to deal with), and nothing is going to change my mind about using them more often than not.

This gets back to the team of 6 delibirds; I think people don't post that team not because they are afraid of someone saying it sucks (they probably already know that), but because they know it won't get any discussion of merit. Instead of saying "Braviary outclasses Delibird," and leaving it at that, the question should be what is Delibird really capable of (maybe a rapid spin, fake out, status set?), ignoring the problems with species clause.

If there's a problem with *****ing about hax, then that is a problem with individual users, and sore losers, and nothing will change that. Good teams will be at least somewhat resilient to luck, and if you lose anyways on a series of 6 crits, it just was not meant to happen. Being able to DC on wifi with no punishment bothers me for the same reason: Pokemon more than most games makes luck a factor, and then does nothing to show the player that it is unacceptable to try and prevent it. The game should open with a battle against your rival where he always crits, or you always flinch, or something, and you can challenge him over and over and the same thing will always happen, until you give up, and the scene ends with the professor saying something along the lines of, "Well, that's Pokemon!"

Anyways,these are just some thoughts. Mostly though, I throw in my support for what dragon suggests, I think if you just combine the two forums, you'll see an increase in activity for both, because the two drive each other.